20.28°C Vancouver

News

surrey-mayor-raises-concerns-after-daytime-shooting-calls-for-police-discussions
BCMay 06, 2026

Surrey mayor raises concerns after daytime shooting, calls for police discussions

Surrey Mayor Brenda Locke says recent incidents in the city require urgent attention, following a daytime shooting earlier this week that remains unsolved. According to statements attributed to the mayor, Locke said the situation “cannot continue” and must be addressed with seriousness by local authorities. The comments come after a shooting reported Monday afternoon near 130 Street and 76 Avenue, where police say gunfire occurred at a business complex. No arrests have been announced in connection with the incident as of publication time, according to available police information. Locke sa
kamloops-rcmp-investigate-targeted-overnight-shooting-as-homicide
BCMay 06, 2026

Kamloops RCMP investigate targeted overnight shooting as homicide

Police in Kamloops are investigating a fatal shooting that occurred overnight, with investigators confirming the case is being treated as a homicide. According to a statement from the Royal Canadian Mounted Police, officers have released few details about the circumstances of the shooting, but say early evidence suggests the attack was targeted. Mounties have not disclosed the exact location of the incident. However, police are asking anyone who was in the 200 block of Columbia Street between 1 a.m. and 3 a.m. to contact investigators. They are also seeking dashcam footage from the area during
former-vancouver-mayor-alleges-b-c-cabinet-minister-under-investigation
BCMay 05, 2026

Former Vancouver mayor alleges B.C. cabinet minister under investigation

Former Vancouver mayor Kennedy Stewart says he has been interviewed by federal lawyers regarding what he alleges is an investigation into a British Columbia cabinet minister for possible collaboration with China’s government. Stewart said Premier David Eby and other cabinet members are aware of the matter. He did not identify the minister and did not provide documentation to support the existence or scope of any investigation. The RCMP said it is reviewing a request for comment but did not confirm any investigation. The B.C. government did not respond to a request for comment by publication
man-killed-in-daytime-shooting-inside-surrey-business-complex-homicide-team-investigating
BCMay 05, 2026

Man killed in daytime shooting inside Surrey business complex; homicide team investigating

A man is dead after a daytime shooting inside a business complex in Surrey’s Newton area on Monday, according to police. Surrey Police Service said officers were called at 3 p.m. to the 13000-block of 76 Avenue for reports of a shooting inside the foyer of an office building. When officers arrived, they found a young man suffering from critical injuries. BC Emergency Health Services attempted life-saving measures, but the man was pronounced dead at the scene, police said. The building houses multiple businesses, including an insurance office and a training centre. Police have not released th
world-relay-championship-canada-wins-bronze-in-womens-4x400m
BCMay 04, 2026

World relay championship: Canada wins Bronze in women's 4X400m

Canada's women's team won the bronze medal in the 4x400m relay at the World Athletics Relay Championships in Botswana. The team also qualified for the 2027 World Athletics Championships in Beijing. The Punjabi-origin runner from Delta, Jasneet Nijjar was also a part of this medal winning team. The team of Zoe Sherar, Lauren Gale, Jasneet Nijjar and Savannah Sutherland won the bronze medal with a timing of 3 minutes 22.66 seconds. After the medal-winning performance, Zoe Sherar said that the team's goal was to compete better and give a tough fight to the other teams, and the team was confid
BCMay 04, 2026

B.C. to test provincewide emergency alert system on May 6

The British Columbia government says a test of its emergency alert system will be sent to cellphones, television and radio across the province at 1:55 p.m. Pacific time on Wednesday, May 6, as part of Emergency Preparedness Week. According to a provincial news release, the alert will be clearly marked as a test and will not require any action from the public. The message will be pushed to compatible mobile devices and will interrupt broadcast programming on radio and TV. Officials say the test is part of a coordinated national exercise of the National Public Alerting System, which involves fed
one-dead-five-injured-in-two-vehicle-crash-in-delta
BCMay 04, 2026

One dead, five injured in two-vehicle crash in Delta

One person has died and five others were injured following a two-vehicle crash in Delta on Saturday afternoon, according to police. Delta police said officers were called to the intersection of 118th Street and 75A Avenue at about 3 p.m. Staff Sgt. Mike Whiteley said in a police release that the driver of one of the vehicles was pronounced dead at the scene. BC Emergency Health Services said two people were transported to hospital in critical condition, while three others were listed in serious but stable condition. The injuries were confirmed in a statement from the agency. Images from the sc
man-arrested-after-alleged-unauthorized-access-to-aircraft-at-vancouver-international-airport
BCMay 04, 2026

Man arrested after alleged unauthorized access to aircraft at Vancouver International Airport

A man is in custody after a reported security breach at Vancouver International Airport early Monday, according to police. Richmond RCMP said the incident occurred at about 4 a.m., when a suspect allegedly gained unauthorized access to a parked aircraft. Police have not confirmed how the individual entered the restricted area or what their intent was. According to an RCMP statement, the man was arrested at the scene and remains in custody as the investigation continues. His identity has not been released. A spokesperson for the Vancouver Airport Authority said the incident did not disrupt airp
two-children-seriously-injured-in-burnaby-crash-rcmp-seek-witnesses-and-video
BCMay 04, 2026

Two children seriously injured in Burnaby crash; RCMP seek witnesses and video

Two children are in hospital with serious injuries after a collision involving a vehicle in Burnaby on Saturday, according to police.Burnaby RCMP said officers responded around 12:45 p.m. to a report of a crash involving two pedestrians, identified as an 11-year-old boy and a nine-year-old girl. The incident occurred along Hastings Street, just east of Delta Avenue. Police said the driver of a grey Mercedes sedan remained at the scene. The detachment’s criminal collision investigation team has taken over the file, indicating the seriousness of the incident. In a statement, Cpl. Mike Kalanj s

Just In

b-c-conservative-leader-attacks-eby-government-over-forestry-decline
BCAug 18, 2026

B.C. Conservative Leader Attacks Eby Government Over Forestry Decline

B.C. Conservative Party Leader John Rustad has accused Premier David Eby of blaming U.S. President Donald Trump’s tariffs for the province’s forestry-sector decline in an attempt to hide his government’s own failures. In a statement Tuesday, Rustad said U.S. tariffs are harmful and should be strongly opposed. However, he said forestry production in B.C.’s Interior began declining as early as 2016, long before Trump returned to office, and has now fallen by about 50 per cent. According to Rustad, poor provincial policies, permit processes that can take two to three years, and uncertaint
trumps-presidency-delays-quebec-sovereignty-referendum-says-parti-québécois
CanadaAug 18, 2026

Trump’s Presidency Delays Quebec Sovereignty Referendum, Says Parti Québécois

Parti Québécois leader Paul St-Pierre Plamondon says his party would not hold a referendum on Quebec sovereignty while Donald Trump remains president of the United States. St-Pierre Plamondon says the party still intends to hold a referendum on whether Quebec should separate from Canada during its first mandate if elected. However, he says such a crucial decision about Quebec’s future requires a clear and calm debate. He says the referendum debate should not be disrupted by American politics or unexpected announcements from the U.S. president. According to St-Pierre Plamondon, the unpredic
AlbertaAug 18, 2026

Sentencing Arguments Begin for Man Convicted of Sexually Assaulting Three Women

Sentencing arguments begin today for 62-year-old Richard Mantha, who was convicted of sexually assaulting three vulnerable women and drugging one of them. Mantha was found guilty of six offences following a trial that lasted more than two years. The full day has been set aside for the Crown and defence to present their arguments on what sentence he should receive. He was convicted of two counts of sexual assault, as well as choking while committing a sexual assault and administering a noxious substance. Mantha was also found guilty of assault with a weapon and uttering threats against a fourth
BCAug 18, 2026

Goldstream Falls swimming incident: 27-year-old man dies

A 27-year-old man has died after getting into distress while swimming near Goldstream Falls in Goldstream Provincial Park on Monday evening. West Shore RCMP said officers responded to the incident at around 7:35 p.m. on August 17. The man reportedly went underwater while swimming near the waterfall and did not resurface. Bystanders pulled him from the water and immediately began life-saving measures. Police, BC Emergency Health Services and Langford Fire Department later arrived and continued the emergency response. The man was taken to hospital for further treatment but later succumbed to his
poilievre-attacks-carney-government-over-ev-mandate
BCAug 18, 2026

Poilievre Attacks Carney Government Over EV Mandate

Canada’s main opposition leader, Pierre Poilievre, has launched a strong attack on Prime Minister Mark Carney’s government over its electric vehicle policy. Poilievre alleges that while the government is moving to scrap the existing EV sales mandate, it is planning to bring back a similar requirement through the “back door” using tougher emissions standards. According to a notice published in the Canada Gazette, the government has recently started the process of repealing the previous EV Sales Mandate, which required 20 per cent of new vehicles sold in 2026 to be electric. Reacting to