11.04°C Vancouver

Jan 19, 2026 6:52 PM - Connect Newsroom - Ramandeep Kaur with files from The Canadian Press

Public hearing opens into 2015 death of Myles Gray following Vancouver police altercation

Share On
public-hearing-opens-into-2015-death-of-myles-gray-following-vancouver-police-altercation
Myles Gray’s family outside a Vancouver courthouse ahead of the public hearing into his 2015 death. (Photo: The Canadian Press)

A public hearing examining the 2015 death of Myles Gray during an encounter with Vancouver police begins today in Vancouver. The hearing, conducted by the Office of the Police Complaint Commissioner, is expected to continue for 10 weeks and will investigate the circumstances surrounding Gray’s fatal injuries following a confrontation with multiple officers in Burnaby, B.C.

The hearing was requested by Gray’s family after a discipline authority cleared all seven officers involved of misconduct in 2024. Margaret Gray, the mother of the 26-year-old, is scheduled to be the first witness. She has said she hopes the process will uncover the full truth about her son’s death and explain why “accountability failed,” noting that none of the officers faced criminal charges.

Myles Gray suffered severe injuries, including ruptured testicles and fractures to his eye socket, nose, voice box, and ribs. His death prompted a coroner’s inquest in 2023, which ruled the incident a homicide.

Brian Smith, general counsel for the Office of the Police Complaint Commissioner, told reporters last week that it remains uncertain whether any of the seven officers will testify, as they cannot be compelled to appear. The adjudicator for the hearing is retired B.C. Supreme Court Justice Elizabeth Arnold-Bailey.

The case has drawn attention in B.C. and across Canada, highlighting ongoing concerns about police accountability and public trust in investigations of fatal police encounters.

Latest news

carney-says-new-oil-pipeline-would-require-emissions-plan-indigenous-consultation
BCMay 20, 2026

Carney says new oil pipeline would require emissions plan, Indigenous consultation

Prime Minister Mark Carney says any future oil pipeline connecting Alberta to the British Columbia coast would depend on conditions including a major emissions-reduction project, economic benefits for B.C., and constitutionally required consultation with First Nations. Speaking to the Greater Vancouver Board of Trade, Carney said the pipeline proposal discussed last week between the federal and Alberta governments would only move forward alongside the proposed Pathways Alliance carbon capture project. He said Indigenous consultation under Section 35 of the Constitution is “non-negotiable.”
AlbertaMay 20, 2026

Alberta ticket wins $12.5M share of Lotto Max jackpot

A Lotto Max ticket purchased in Alberta has won a $12.5-million share of the latest jackpot draw, according to the Western Canada Lottery Corporation. The corporation said the winning ticket was sold somewhere in Alberta outside the Edmonton and Calgary regions. Another winning ticket was sold in Quebec, splitting the $25-million jackpot between the two winners. Lottery officials said the Alberta ticket holder has one year from the draw date to claim the prize. The winning location and ticket holder have not yet been identified publicly. The jackpot split means multiple winners matched all sev
CanadaMay 20, 2026

Rising FIFA World Cup ticket and hotel prices in Vancouver raising concerns for fans

Football fans hoping to attend FIFA World Cup matches in Vancouver are facing growing costs as ticket prices and hotel rates continue to climb ahead of the tournament. Reports indicate some match tickets are being listed for as much as $2,000. Accommodation costs in Vancouver have also become a concern for visitors planning trips to the city during the event. Experts say provincial restrictions on short-term rentals, along with annual licensing fee requirements, have reduced available accommodation options and contributed to higher hotel prices. Jarrett Vaughan, a professor at the University o
shooting-at-surrey-home-under-investigation-police-say-extortion-link-suspected
BCMay 20, 2026

Shooting at Surrey home under investigation, police say extortion link suspected

Surrey Police Service is investigating an early morning shooting at a residence in Surrey’s Newton neighbourhood that investigators believe may be connected to an extortion-related file. Police said frontline officers responded at about 4:40 a.m. Wednesday to reports of shots fired near 57 Avenue and 148 Street. According to SPS, officers found damage to a home and evidence of gunfire when they arrived. The residence was occupied at the time of the shooting, but no injuries were reported, police said. SPS said its Extortion Response Team has taken over the investigation. Integrated Forensic
AlbertaMay 20, 2026

Nenshi questions UCP committee meeting on Alberta petition process amid separatism debate

Alberta NDP Leader Naheed Nenshi says he is concerned Premier Danielle Smith’s government could alter or reinterpret a citizen petition process tied to Alberta’s place in Canada. Nenshi made the comments after the United Conservative government scheduled a committee meeting for Thursday to discuss a petition calling for Alberta to remain in Canada. The bipartisan committee is reviewing the petition under provincial rules governing citizen initiatives. According to Nenshi, the timing of the meeting has raised questions after a separate petition backed by Alberta separatists was reportedly l

Related News