21.01°C Vancouver

News

illegal-gambling-investigation-in-metro-vancouver-leads-to-11-arrests
BCMay 08, 2026

Illegal gambling investigation in Metro Vancouver leads to 11 arrests

Police in British Columbia say 11 people have been arrested following an investigation into an alleged illegal gambling operation in Metro Vancouver. According to investigators, the probe began in November 2025 after police received information about a suspected gaming house operating in Maple Ridge. Officers executed search warrants on April 29 at locations in Maple Ridge, Coquitlam and Surrey. Police said investigators seized gambling equipment, more than $34,000 in cash, and a shotgun fitted with a suppressor during the searches. Authorities have not released details about the identities of
verdict-expected-in-abbotsford-double-homicide-trial-involving-2022-home-invasion
BCMay 08, 2026

Verdict expected in Abbotsford double homicide trial involving 2022 home invasion

A B.C. Supreme Court judge is expected to deliver a verdict today in the first-degree murder trial of three men charged in the deaths of an elderly Abbotsford couple during a 2022 home invasion. Court heard during the judge-alone trial that 77-year-old Arnold De Jong died from asphyxiation after his head and face were wrapped in duct tape, while 76-year-old Joanne De Jong was beaten and had her throat slashed. The couple’s bodies were discovered inside their Abbotsford home in May 2022. Abhijeet Singh, Gurkaran Singh and Khushveer Toor, all in their 20s, pleaded not guilty to first-degree mu
BCMay 07, 2026

Police seek public help identifying suspect in Chilliwack bus driver assault

Chilliwack RCMP are asking for the public’s help identifying a suspect connected to an assault on a bus driver earlier this year. According to police, the incident happened March 16 near South Sumas Road and Vedder Road in Chilliwack. Investigators said the suspect was a passenger on the bus and allegedly assaulted the driver, causing injuries. RCMP have not released details about what led to the incident. However, officers said investigators obtained video footage from the area showing a young man leaving the scene after the alleged assault. Police estimate the suspect is between 18 and 19
vancouver-police-investigating-fatal-stabbing-near-east-hastings-as-city-records-fourth-homicide-of-2026
BCMay 07, 2026

Vancouver police investigating fatal stabbing near East Hastings as city records fourth homicide of 2026

Vancouver police are investigating a fatal stabbing near East Hastings and Columbia streets that has been classified as the city’s fourth homicide of 2026. Police said officers were called to the area at about 2:30 a.m. Wednesday after a witness reported an assault. A 49-year-old man was found injured at the scene and later died in hospital, according to a Vancouver Police Department statement. Investigators said a man and a woman were arrested following the incident, but no charges had been announced as of Wednesday afternoon. Police have not released further details about the circumstances
vancouver-council-votes-to-oppose-planned-overdose-prevention-site-downtown
BCMay 06, 2026

Vancouver council votes to oppose planned overdose prevention site downtown

Vancouver city council has voted to oppose a planned overdose prevention site in the city’s downtown, backing an urgent motion from Mayor Ken Sim following a recent announcement by the regional health authority. Council approved the motion Tuesday along party lines, with all seven councillors from Sim’s ABC party voting in favour and four opposing. The motion directs the city to challenge the site planned for 900 Helmcken St., which Vancouver Coastal Health says it intends to open in June. Coun. Peter Meiszner told council the city was notified of the location only last week, “despite ma
surrey-mayor-raises-concerns-after-daytime-shooting-calls-for-police-discussions
BCMay 06, 2026

Surrey mayor raises concerns after daytime shooting, calls for police discussions

Surrey Mayor Brenda Locke says recent incidents in the city require urgent attention, following a daytime shooting earlier this week that remains unsolved. According to statements attributed to the mayor, Locke said the situation “cannot continue” and must be addressed with seriousness by local authorities. The comments come after a shooting reported Monday afternoon near 130 Street and 76 Avenue, where police say gunfire occurred at a business complex. No arrests have been announced in connection with the incident as of publication time, according to available police information. Locke sa
kamloops-rcmp-investigate-targeted-overnight-shooting-as-homicide
BCMay 06, 2026

Kamloops RCMP investigate targeted overnight shooting as homicide

Police in Kamloops are investigating a fatal shooting that occurred overnight, with investigators confirming the case is being treated as a homicide. According to a statement from the Royal Canadian Mounted Police, officers have released few details about the circumstances of the shooting, but say early evidence suggests the attack was targeted. Mounties have not disclosed the exact location of the incident. However, police are asking anyone who was in the 200 block of Columbia Street between 1 a.m. and 3 a.m. to contact investigators. They are also seeking dashcam footage from the area during
former-vancouver-mayor-alleges-b-c-cabinet-minister-under-investigation
BCMay 05, 2026

Former Vancouver mayor alleges B.C. cabinet minister under investigation

Former Vancouver mayor Kennedy Stewart says he has been interviewed by federal lawyers regarding what he alleges is an investigation into a British Columbia cabinet minister for possible collaboration with China’s government. Stewart said Premier David Eby and other cabinet members are aware of the matter. He did not identify the minister and did not provide documentation to support the existence or scope of any investigation. The RCMP said it is reviewing a request for comment but did not confirm any investigation. The B.C. government did not respond to a request for comment by publication
man-killed-in-daytime-shooting-inside-surrey-business-complex-homicide-team-investigating
BCMay 05, 2026

Man killed in daytime shooting inside Surrey business complex; homicide team investigating

A man is dead after a daytime shooting inside a business complex in Surrey’s Newton area on Monday, according to police. Surrey Police Service said officers were called at 3 p.m. to the 13000-block of 76 Avenue for reports of a shooting inside the foyer of an office building. When officers arrived, they found a young man suffering from critical injuries. BC Emergency Health Services attempted life-saving measures, but the man was pronounced dead at the scene, police said. The building houses multiple businesses, including an insurance office and a training centre. Police have not released th

Just In

18-year-old-shooting-suspect-turns-himself-in-to-burnaby-rcmp
BCAug 21, 2026

18-year-old shooting suspect turns himself in to Burnaby RCMP

A suspect wanted in connection with a December 2025 shooting in North Burnaby has turned himself in to authorities. Burnaby RCMP said officers responded on Dec. 19, 2025, to a report of a shooting near Phillips Avenue and Woodbrook Place. A man was found suffering from gunshot wounds and was taken to hospital for treatment. The RCMP’s Investigative Support Team took over the investigation. On Dec. 25, charges were laid and an arrest warrant was issued for 18-year-old Ronin Tajali. Tajali has since surrendered to police and remains in custody awaiting a bail hearing. Police thanked the public
AlbertaAug 21, 2026

Leaders Condemn Nanaksar Gurdwara Attack, Call for Action Against Anti-Sikh Hate

Federal NDP MP for Edmonton Strathcona Heather McPherson, along with leaders from across the country, has strongly condemned the attack at Nanaksar Gurdwara Sahib and expressed solidarity with the Sikh community. They called for a full investigation into the incident, urging authorities to take the growing anti-Sikh hatred in Canada seriously and implement stronger measures to protect places of worship. McPherson said everyone has the right to practise their religion freely and that such violent attacks are unacceptable under any circumstances. Meanwhile, Surrey-Newton MP Sukh Dhaliwal express
poilievre-warns-accepting-u-s-tariffs-could-devastate-canadas-industrial-sector
BCAug 21, 2026

Poilievre Warns Accepting U.S. Tariffs Could Devastate Canada’s Industrial Sector

Conservative Party Leader Pierre Poilievre has lashed out at the Liberal government during ongoing Canada-U.S. trade talks in Washington, warning that accepting unilateral U.S. tariffs could devastate Canada’s industrial sector. Speaking to reporters in Kitchener, Ontario, Poilievre strongly criticized the proposed 25 per cent U.S. tariffs on steel and aluminum. He said that if Canada accepts such discriminatory terms, major Canadian businesses and factories could leave the country, causing long-term damage to the Canadian economy. Taking aim at Prime Minister Mark Carney, Poilievre said Car
AlbertaAug 21, 2026

Edmonton Nanaksar Gurdwara Stabbing Leaves Two Injured, Suspect Arrested

A stabbing incident at Nanaksar Gurdwara Sahib in Edmonton early Friday morning left two people injured. Police have arrested a suspect at the scene. According to police, the incident occurred at around 5:08 a.m. at the gurdwara located near 14 Street and Horsehills Road. The two injured individuals were treated at the scene, and their injuries were considered non-life-threatening. Police are questioning the arrested suspect, while officers continue their investigation in and around the gurdwara to ensure the safety of the congregation. Meanwhile, the World Sikh Organization of Canada said in
42-year-old-man-charged-in-immigration-fraud-case-arrest-warrant-issued
CanadaAug 21, 2026

42-Year-Old Man Charged in Immigration Fraud Case, Arrest Warrant Issued

The Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) has laid five charges against 42-year-old Abul Qasim for allegedly helping people enter Canada illegally and committing immigration fraud. An arrest warrant has also been issued for him. According to the CBSA, Qasim previously lived in Montreal but left Canada in June 2025 and is believed to be currently outside the country. The arrest warrant was issued after he failed to appear in response to a summons issued by a Montreal court. The CBSA began investigating the alleged scheme in 2024 after receiving confidential information from Immigration, Refugees