15.24°C Vancouver

News

b-c-to-require-canadian-made-biofuels-to-meet-standards-for-gas-diesel
BCFeb 28, 2025

B.C. to require Canadian-made biofuels to meet standards for gas, diesel

British Columbia's energy minister says the province will soon require Canadian-made products to fulfil renewable fuel standards for gasoline and diesel. Adrian Dix says B.C.'s requirement of five-per-cent renewable fuel content for gasoline must be met with Canadian-made fuel starting Jan. 1, 2026. He says the province is also boosting the minimum renewable requirement for diesel from four to eight per cent effective immediately, and that percentage must be Canadian-made starting April 1. Dix says the United States provides "dramatic subsidies" for its own biofuel industry to a degree that cu
vancouver-city-council-halts-new-supportive-housing-developments
BCFeb 27, 2025

Vancouver City Council Halts New Supportive Housing Developments

Vancouver's city council has decided to halt the development of new supportive housing projects. The proposal, introduced by Mayor Ken Sim, was approved with a 6-3 vote on Wednesday evening. The mayor expressed concerns that other cities in Metro Vancouver are not doing enough to support their homeless populations. Mayor Sim pointed out that Vancouver provides 77 percent of the region's support services, including assisted living and shelters, despite the city representing only 25 percent of the region's population. He stated that the halt on new supportive housing units will remain in place
windstorm-knocks-out-power-to-thousands-of-bc-hydro-customers-along-south-coast
BCFeb 25, 2025

Windstorm knocks out power to thousands of BC Hydro customers along south coast

An overnight windstorm along British Columbia's south coast has knocked out power for thousands. BC Hydro is reporting more 7,000 people along southern Vancouver Island woke up to outages on Tuesday. More than 20,000 had power knocked out during the storm across the island and the Lower Mainland although it had been restored to most by 9 a.m. Environment Canada says peak winds were felt along the coast, with Discovery Island off Victoria seeing the highest gusts of up to 96 km/h. Other locations, including Victoria and Tsawwassen, also reported high winds, but all Environment Canada wind warni
second-earthquake-in-four-days-strikes-off-b-c-coast
BCFeb 25, 2025

Second earthquake in four days strikes off B.C. coast

Another earthquake has struck off the British Columbia coast. A post on X from Emergency Info BC Monday night said a 5.2-magnitude earthquake struck west of Port Alice, a community on northwest Vancouver Island. The agency added there was no risk of a tsunami, and there have been no reports of damage or injuries. This is the second earthquake in British Columbia in four days, after a 4.7-magnitude temblor struck the southwest coast on Friday, northeast of Sechelt. Tremors were felt on the Sunshine Coast, Metro Vancouver as well as Vancouver Island. Though several smaller aftershocks came from
b-c-opposition-leader-rustad-wants-to-hit-u-s-with-carbon-tax-on-coal-shipments
BCFeb 24, 2025

B.C. Opposition Leader Rustad wants to hit U.S. with 'carbon tax' on coal shipments

British Columbia Opposition Leader John Rustad is proposing a "carbon tax" on U.S. thermal coal that is shipped out of B.C. ports to use as leverage against threats of American tariffs on Canadian softwood lumber. Rustad says such a tax would be a "tool to fight back" on softwood tariffs and duties proposed by U.S. President Donald Trump, which Forests Minister Ravi Parmar said last week could increase to more than 50 per cent. He says that until "unfair and unwarranted" U.S. duties on B.C. softwood are removed, the province needs "to be ready to hit the Americans where it hurts.” The B.C. C
delta-hospital-emergency-room-closure-highlights-doctor-shortage-in-bc
BCFeb 24, 2025

Delta Hospital Emergency Room Closure Highlights Doctor Shortage in BC

Delta Hospital in British Columbia closed its emergency room for the second consecutive night on Sunday due to a shortage of doctors. Fraser Health issued a notice around 5:00 p.m. on Sunday, announcing the temporary closure of emergency room services from 9:30 p.m. Sunday to 6:30 a.m. Monday. Patients who had already been admitted were attended to before the doctor on duty left at 1:30 a.m. It is worth noting that the emergency room had also been closed on Saturday night due to the same issue. During these closures, nurses provided first aid to patients and assisted in transferring them to n
lifelabs-workers-launch-phased-strike-across-bc
BCFeb 21, 2025

LifeLabs Workers Launch Phased Strike Across BC

LifeLabs workers have initiated a phased strike across British Columbia, with 18 LifeLabs centres closed on the first day of the strike, Thursday. Leaders of the BC General Employees Union (BCGEU) have warned that protests may escalate if the issues of wages, benefits, and working conditions are not addressed through negotiations with the US-based company. Union president Paul Finch warned that workers are prepared to expand the strike to more than 100 centres. Speaking to supporters outside Vancouver’s Cityview LifeLabs, he stated that the fight would continue until their demands are met.
b-c-lifelabs-prepares-for-rotating-closures-after-notice-of-strike
BCFeb 18, 2025

B.C. LifeLabs prepares for rotating closures after notice of strike

LifeLabs in British Columbia says some of its more than 100 centres in the province will be subject to rotating temporary closures starting on Thursday as part of job action taken by the union. The B.C. General Employees' Union, which represents about 1,200 LifeLab workers, issued a strike notice on Sunday after what it said was months of negotiations and LifeLabs' refusal to bring wages and benefits in line with the cost of living. LifeLabs, a lab testing service provider, says in a statement that as a designated essential service, it will continue to operate and do everything in its control
b-c-minimum-wage-increases-by-45-cents-per-hour-starting-june-1
BCFeb 14, 2025

B.C. minimum wage increases by 45 cents per hour starting June 1

The British Columbia government says the province's lowest-paid workers are getting a wage boost to keep pace with inflation. The Ministry of Labour says the minimum wage will increase from $17.40 to $17.85 per hour starting in June. It says the 2.6 per cent increase follows changes made last spring to the Employment Standards Act, which mandated yearly wage rises. Labour Minister Jennifer Whiteside says those adjustments were made last year because minimum-wage workers are most vulnerable to jumps in prices for living expenses like groceries, rent and gas. The province says the changes align

Just In

b-c-conservative-leader-attacks-eby-government-over-forestry-decline
BCAug 18, 2026

B.C. Conservative Leader Attacks Eby Government Over Forestry Decline

B.C. Conservative Party Leader John Rustad has accused Premier David Eby of blaming U.S. President Donald Trump’s tariffs for the province’s forestry-sector decline in an attempt to hide his government’s own failures. In a statement Tuesday, Rustad said U.S. tariffs are harmful and should be strongly opposed. However, he said forestry production in B.C.’s Interior began declining as early as 2016, long before Trump returned to office, and has now fallen by about 50 per cent. According to Rustad, poor provincial policies, permit processes that can take two to three years, and uncertaint
trumps-presidency-delays-quebec-sovereignty-referendum-says-parti-québécois
CanadaAug 18, 2026

Trump’s Presidency Delays Quebec Sovereignty Referendum, Says Parti Québécois

Parti Québécois leader Paul St-Pierre Plamondon says his party would not hold a referendum on Quebec sovereignty while Donald Trump remains president of the United States. St-Pierre Plamondon says the party still intends to hold a referendum on whether Quebec should separate from Canada during its first mandate if elected. However, he says such a crucial decision about Quebec’s future requires a clear and calm debate. He says the referendum debate should not be disrupted by American politics or unexpected announcements from the U.S. president. According to St-Pierre Plamondon, the unpredic
AlbertaAug 18, 2026

Sentencing Arguments Begin for Man Convicted of Sexually Assaulting Three Women

Sentencing arguments begin today for 62-year-old Richard Mantha, who was convicted of sexually assaulting three vulnerable women and drugging one of them. Mantha was found guilty of six offences following a trial that lasted more than two years. The full day has been set aside for the Crown and defence to present their arguments on what sentence he should receive. He was convicted of two counts of sexual assault, as well as choking while committing a sexual assault and administering a noxious substance. Mantha was also found guilty of assault with a weapon and uttering threats against a fourth
BCAug 18, 2026

Goldstream Falls swimming incident: 27-year-old man dies

A 27-year-old man has died after getting into distress while swimming near Goldstream Falls in Goldstream Provincial Park on Monday evening. West Shore RCMP said officers responded to the incident at around 7:35 p.m. on August 17. The man reportedly went underwater while swimming near the waterfall and did not resurface. Bystanders pulled him from the water and immediately began life-saving measures. Police, BC Emergency Health Services and Langford Fire Department later arrived and continued the emergency response. The man was taken to hospital for further treatment but later succumbed to his
poilievre-attacks-carney-government-over-ev-mandate
BCAug 18, 2026

Poilievre Attacks Carney Government Over EV Mandate

Canada’s main opposition leader, Pierre Poilievre, has launched a strong attack on Prime Minister Mark Carney’s government over its electric vehicle policy. Poilievre alleges that while the government is moving to scrap the existing EV sales mandate, it is planning to bring back a similar requirement through the “back door” using tougher emissions standards. According to a notice published in the Canada Gazette, the government has recently started the process of repealing the previous EV Sales Mandate, which required 20 per cent of new vehicles sold in 2026 to be electric. Reacting to