11.8°C Vancouver

Aug 26, 2024 7:36 PM - The Canadian Press

BC Hydro begins filling reservoir as Site C dam megaproject nears completion

Share On
bc-hydro-begins-filling-reservoir-as-site-c-dam-megaproject-nears-completion
BC Hydro says it will take between two and four months to fill the 83-kilometre-long reservoir, which will cover about 5,550 hectares of land while totalling about 9,330 hectares in surface area.(Photo: The Canadian Press)

BC Hydro says it has begun filling the reservoir created by the massive Site C dam project in northeastern British Columbia.

The provincial electric utility says in a statement that the filling of the reservoir is one of the last steps toward starting operations for the controversial dam project, located about 14 kilometres southwest of Fort St. John, B.C.

BC Hydro says it will take between two and four months to fill the 83-kilometre-long reservoir, which will cover about 5,550 hectares of land while totalling about 9,330 hectares in surface area.

The utility is warning people to stay away from the area of the reservoir for at least a year after it has been filled, citing possible unstable terrain and floating debris as potential hazards.

Construction of Site C was launched in 2015 under then-premier Christy Clark's BC Liberals government and has seen cost estimates spike from up to $6.6 billion in 2007 to $16 billion in 2021.

Multiple groups opposed the province's plan to complete the dam after the NDP formed government in B.C. in 2017, but former premier John Horgan said the dam needed to be finished despite his party not supporting the start of construction in the first place.

Horgan said at the time that cancelling the megaproject mid-construction would have meant laying off 4,500 workers as well as the loss of $10 billion in costs already sunk in building the dam, resulting in a 26 per cent increase in B.C. residents' hydro bills over 10 years.

The project had been opposed by groups such as the Peace Valley Landowner Association, Prophet River First Nation and West Moberly First Nations on both environmental and land-rights grounds.

BC Hydro says construction is now more than 85-per-cent complete, with the first power-generating unit on-site scheduled to begin operations in December.

When all six power generators are operational by fall 2025, BC Hydro says Site C will add 1,100 megawatts of electricity capacity while producing about 5,100 gigawatt hours annually about an eight-per-cent increase to the province's overall power supply.

BC Hydro says Site C will provide enough clean electricity to reliably power nearly 500,000 homes or 1.7 million electric vehicles when fully operational.

The provincial utility says the project also remains on track to be completed within the $16-billion budget established in 2021.

The idea of Site C a third dam on the Peace River in northeastern B.C. began decades ago but had been shelved in 1989 due to local opposition.

Latest news

verdict-expected-in-edmonton-dog-attack-death-trial
AlbertaMay 22, 2026

Verdict expected in Edmonton dog attack death trial

A judge is expected to deliver a verdict Friday in the criminal negligence trial of an Edmonton woman charged in the 2024 death of an 11-year-old boy killed by two dogs. Crystal MacDonald has pleaded not guilty to criminal negligence causing death in connection with the fatal attack on Kache Grist at her Edmonton home in April 2024. Court heard MacDonald and the boy’s father, Wesley Grist, were roommates at the time. Kache, who lived in British Columbia, was visiting Edmonton during spring break when the attack occurred. During testimony, MacDonald said she repeatedly warned Wesley Grist no
surrey-police-seek-help-identifying-robbery-suspect-near-central-skytrain-station
BCMay 22, 2026

Surrey police seek help identifying robbery suspect near Central SkyTrain Station

Surrey Police Service is asking for the public’s help to identify a suspect connected to an alleged robbery near Surrey Central SkyTrain Station last month. According to a Surrey Police Service release, frontline officers responded on April 24 at about 7:10 p.m. after two people reported they had been assaulted, robbed, and threatened near the station. Police said a pair of Meta smart glasses was taken during the incident. Investigators released a photo of the suspect and are asking anyone who recognizes the individual to come forward as the investigation continues. Police described the susp
rajya-sabha-mp-harbhajan-singh-accuses-aap-leadership-of-selling-punjab-posts-after-joining-bjp
IndiaMay 22, 2026

Rajya Sabha MP Harbhajan Singh accuses AAP leadership of “selling” Punjab posts after joining BJP

Rajya Sabha MP Harbhajan Singh, who recently left the Aam Aadmi Party and joined the Bharatiya Janata Party, has accused the AAP leadership of exploiting Punjab in a social media post containing a series of corruption allegations. Singh alleged that the party leadership had “sold everything,” including Rajya Sabha seats from Punjab and ministerial positions, claiming appointments were allegedly made in exchange for money. He further stated that he would reveal how certain individuals were appointed as ministers and officials “to loot Punjab” and deliver the proceeds to a person he refe
AlbertaMay 22, 2026

Former Durham officer arrested in Alberta on multiple sexual assault charges

Alberta RCMP have arrested a former Durham Regional Police officer who is facing multiple sexual assault and breach of trust charges linked to alleged incidents dating back more than 20 years. Ontario’s Special Investigations Unit said the alleged offences occurred in 2003 and were investigated at the time. The civilian police watchdog said the case was reopened in 2024 after the complainant provided new information. The SIU said a Canada-wide warrant was issued for Kevin Seamons. RCMP arrested him in Alberta on Wednesday night. Seamons faces six counts of sexual assault, one count of sexual
carney-says-alberta-central-to-canadas-future-after-smith-referendum-announcement
CanadaMay 22, 2026

Carney says Alberta central to Canada’s future after Smith referendum announcement

Prime Minister Mark Carney says Alberta remains a critical part of Canada’s future after Alberta Premier Danielle Smith announced plans to include a separation question in a provincial referendum scheduled for Oct. 19. According to statements made Friday on Parliament Hill, the Alberta government plans to ask voters whether the province should remain part of Canada or pursue separation through a legal process. Carney said Canada is functioning as a successful country and described Alberta as essential to the country’s continued economic and political development. He said the federal govern

Related News