15.36°C Vancouver

Nov 3, 2025 7:38 PM - Connect Newsroom - Pervez Sandhu

158 people died from toxic drugs in September, 1,384 total deaths reported this year

Share On
158-people-died-from-toxic-drugs-in-september-1-384-total-deaths-reported-this-year
This data shows the unregulated drug deaths and death rate per 100,000 population between 2014 - 2025. (Chart created by BC Coroners Service)

The BC Coroners Service has shared statistics on the number of deaths caused by unregulated toxic drugs in the province for the month of September.

In September, 158 people lost their lives due to toxic drugs. The number of such drug-related deaths has increased in September compared to July and August. In July, the number of deaths related to unregulated drugs was reported to be 153 and in August, the number was 149.

BC toxic drug deaths
Statistics compiled by BC Coroners Service

So far in the year 2025, the number of such deaths has reached a total of 1,384. In the month of September alone, on average, more than 5 people lost their lives every day due to toxic drugs.

Statistics show that like in the past few years, this year too, people between the ages of 30 and 59 have fallen victim to toxic drugs in increasing numbers. While this age group accounts for 69% of all deaths, 78% of these deaths are reported to be male.

BC Toxic Drugs deaths
Statistics compiled by BC Coroners Service

So far this year, the number of such deaths has reached 314 in Vancouver, 137 in Surrey and 93 in Greater Victoria.

In 2025, the number of deaths of people aged 18 and under due to unregulated toxic drugs reached 20.

BC Toxic Drug deaths
Statistics compiled by BC Coroners Service

In 2024, the total number of toxic drugs related deaths was reported to be 2,312.

B.C. declared a public health emergency in 2016 due to toxic drug-related deaths. Since then, more than 16,000 people have died from toxic drugs.

However, this year's figures show a slight decline compared to the past two years and officials say their efforts to save lives are ongoing.

Latest news

b-c-conservative-leader-attacks-eby-government-over-forestry-decline
BCAug 18, 2026

B.C. Conservative Leader Attacks Eby Government Over Forestry Decline

B.C. Conservative Party Leader John Rustad has accused Premier David Eby of blaming U.S. President Donald Trump’s tariffs for the province’s forestry-sector decline in an attempt to hide his government’s own failures. In a statement Tuesday, Rustad said U.S. tariffs are harmful and should be strongly opposed. However, he said forestry production in B.C.’s Interior began declining as early as 2016, long before Trump returned to office, and has now fallen by about 50 per cent. According to Rustad, poor provincial policies, permit processes that can take two to three years, and uncertaint
trumps-presidency-delays-quebec-sovereignty-referendum-says-parti-québécois
CanadaAug 18, 2026

Trump’s Presidency Delays Quebec Sovereignty Referendum, Says Parti Québécois

Parti Québécois leader Paul St-Pierre Plamondon says his party would not hold a referendum on Quebec sovereignty while Donald Trump remains president of the United States. St-Pierre Plamondon says the party still intends to hold a referendum on whether Quebec should separate from Canada during its first mandate if elected. However, he says such a crucial decision about Quebec’s future requires a clear and calm debate. He says the referendum debate should not be disrupted by American politics or unexpected announcements from the U.S. president. According to St-Pierre Plamondon, the unpredic
AlbertaAug 18, 2026

Sentencing Arguments Begin for Man Convicted of Sexually Assaulting Three Women

Sentencing arguments begin today for 62-year-old Richard Mantha, who was convicted of sexually assaulting three vulnerable women and drugging one of them. Mantha was found guilty of six offences following a trial that lasted more than two years. The full day has been set aside for the Crown and defence to present their arguments on what sentence he should receive. He was convicted of two counts of sexual assault, as well as choking while committing a sexual assault and administering a noxious substance. Mantha was also found guilty of assault with a weapon and uttering threats against a fourth
BCAug 18, 2026

Goldstream Falls swimming incident: 27-year-old man dies

A 27-year-old man has died after getting into distress while swimming near Goldstream Falls in Goldstream Provincial Park on Monday evening. West Shore RCMP said officers responded to the incident at around 7:35 p.m. on August 17. The man reportedly went underwater while swimming near the waterfall and did not resurface. Bystanders pulled him from the water and immediately began life-saving measures. Police, BC Emergency Health Services and Langford Fire Department later arrived and continued the emergency response. The man was taken to hospital for further treatment but later succumbed to his
poilievre-attacks-carney-government-over-ev-mandate
BCAug 18, 2026

Poilievre Attacks Carney Government Over EV Mandate

Canada’s main opposition leader, Pierre Poilievre, has launched a strong attack on Prime Minister Mark Carney’s government over its electric vehicle policy. Poilievre alleges that while the government is moving to scrap the existing EV sales mandate, it is planning to bring back a similar requirement through the “back door” using tougher emissions standards. According to a notice published in the Canada Gazette, the government has recently started the process of repealing the previous EV Sales Mandate, which required 20 per cent of new vehicles sold in 2026 to be electric. Reacting to

Related News