22.78°C Vancouver

News

roundtable-to-examine-canadas-proposed-safe-social-media-act
EnglishJul 24, 2026

Roundtable to examine Canada's proposed Safe Social Media Act

The federal government is set to hold a roundtable discussion on Monday to examine the proposed Safe Social Media Act, known as Bill C-34, as consultations continue on new digital safety measures. According to the government, Canadian Culture Minister Mark Miller will co-chair the discussion with British Columbia Member of Parliament Patrick Weiler. The meeting is expected to focus on key provisions of the proposed legislation and broader digital safety regulations. The government introduced Bill C-34 in the House of Commons in June. The proposed legislation would prohibit children under the a
BCJul 24, 2026

Livingstone Avenue closed through the weekend in Abbotsford for Highway 1 widening project

Abbotsford Police have issued a traffic advisory as construction continues on the Highway 1 widening project through the Fraser Valley. According to the B.C. Ministry of Transportation, Livingstone Avenue in Abbotsford will be fully closed through the weekend. The closure begins Friday and is expected to remain in effect until Monday morning. The affected section extends from east of Mall Access Road to west of Gardner Park. According to Abbotsford Police, access to local businesses and residential properties will be maintained throughout the closure. Motorists are encouraged to use alternate
BCJul 24, 2026

Wildfire smoke degrades air quality across parts of B.C.; warnings remain in effect

Smoke from ongoing wildfires in British Columbia continues to reduce air quality across several parts of the province, with Kelowna experiencing hazardous conditions on Thursday. According to IQAir, Kelowna's Air Quality Index (AQI) exceeded 300 at one point Thursday afternoon, making it the city with the poorest air quality in the world during that period. Earlier in the week, Ashcroft recorded Canada's worst air quality on Monday morning. Environment Canada has maintained high-impact air quality warnings for several regions, including the Fraser Canyon, Merritt and Kelowna. The agency says w
new-gordie-howe-international-bridge-to-open-to-public-traffic-monday
CanadaJul 24, 2026

New Gordie Howe International Bridge to open to public traffic Monday

The Gordie Howe International Bridge connecting Windsor, Ontario, and Detroit, Michigan, will open to public traffic on Monday, marking a major milestone for cross-border transportation between Canada and the United States. Federal Infrastructure Minister Gregor Robertson made the announcement during the bridge's official opening ceremony on the Canadian side in Windsor. According to the federal government, the new cable-stayed bridge spans the Detroit River and provides a direct highway-to-highway connection between Ontario Highway 401 and Michigan Interstate 75. The six-lane bridge is expect
sonam-wangchuk-ends-hunger-strike-reports-claim-congress-mp-vivek-tankha-helped-break-deadlock
IndiaJul 24, 2026

Sonam Wangchuk ends hunger strike; reports claim Congress MP Vivek Tankha helped break deadlock

Social activist Sonam Wangchuk has ended his hunger strike after what he described as two days of continuous talks with the central government. Reports claim Congress Rajya Sabha MP Vivek Tankha played a key role in facilitating backchannel discussions that helped resolve the impasse. According to the reports, backchannel negotiations continued for nearly three days, with efforts made at multiple levels to reach a consensus. Some Ladakhi leaders are also reported to have acted as intermediaries during the discussions. Tankha has previously represented Wangchuk in the Supreme Court in a case re
canada-ecuador-sign-free-trade-agreement-ottawa-says-deal-will-expand-opportunities-for-exporters
CanadaJul 24, 2026

Canada, Ecuador sign free trade agreement, Ottawa says deal will expand opportunities for exporters

The Government of Canada has officially signed a free trade agreement with Ecuador, marking a new step in expanding Canada's trade relationships in Latin America. According to the Government of Canada, International Trade Minister Maninder Sidhu and Ecuador's Minister of Foreign Affairs and Human Mobility, Luis Alberto Jaramillo, signed the agreement during a ceremony in Ottawa on Friday. The federal government said the agreement is expected to create new opportunities for Canadian businesses, workers and exporters. Federal officials said the agreement will improve market access across several
AlbertaJul 24, 2026

Experts say latest U.S. tariff threats could affect provinces unevenly

Economists say the latest U.S. tariff threats are expected to have different impacts across Canada, with Alberta and Saskatchewan among the least exposed provinces based on current export patterns. University of Calgary economics professor Trevor Tombe said Alberta and Saskatchewan are each expected to see about one per cent of their total exports affected by the latest U.S. tariff list. According to Tombe, that is a lower level of exposure than many other provinces. The Trump administration has cited Canadian restrictions on U.S. alcohol sales as one of the reasons for the proposed tariffs. A
nenshi-says-alberta-referendum-promotion-has-cost-taxpayers-at-least-365-000
AlbertaJul 24, 2026

Nenshi says Alberta referendum promotion has cost taxpayers at least $365,000

Alberta NDP Leader Naheed Nenshi says the provincial government has spent at least $365,000 promoting its planned referendum on Alberta separation, arguing taxpayers are covering the cost of a political campaign. According to Nenshi, government contracts show the spending includes the production and distribution of a televised address and promotional videos for social media platforms. He said the costs are tied to efforts to inform the public about the upcoming referendum. Premier Danielle Smith has defended the referendum, saying the vote is intended to settle the question of Alberta separati
b-c-businesses-could-access-1-5b-federal-emergency-fund-if-new-u-s-tariffs-take-effect-eby-says
BCJul 24, 2026

B.C. businesses could access $1.5B federal emergency fund if new U.S. tariffs take effect, Eby says

British Columbia Premier David Eby says businesses affected by potential new U.S. tariffs would be eligible to access a $1.5 billion federal emergency fund if the measures are implemented. According to Eby, Prime Minister Mark Carney confirmed the regional emergency fund remains available to support provinces facing economic impacts from U.S. trade action. Eby said the funding could provide relief to B.C. industries if the United States proceeds with proposed tariffs on Canadian goods, including duties of up to 50 per cent on certain wood products beginning Aug. 19. The premier said uncertaint

Just In

b-c-conservative-leader-attacks-eby-government-over-forestry-decline
BCAug 18, 2026

B.C. Conservative Leader Attacks Eby Government Over Forestry Decline

B.C. Conservative Party Leader John Rustad has accused Premier David Eby of blaming U.S. President Donald Trump’s tariffs for the province’s forestry-sector decline in an attempt to hide his government’s own failures. In a statement Tuesday, Rustad said U.S. tariffs are harmful and should be strongly opposed. However, he said forestry production in B.C.’s Interior began declining as early as 2016, long before Trump returned to office, and has now fallen by about 50 per cent. According to Rustad, poor provincial policies, permit processes that can take two to three years, and uncertaint
trumps-presidency-delays-quebec-sovereignty-referendum-says-parti-québécois
CanadaAug 18, 2026

Trump’s Presidency Delays Quebec Sovereignty Referendum, Says Parti Québécois

Parti Québécois leader Paul St-Pierre Plamondon says his party would not hold a referendum on Quebec sovereignty while Donald Trump remains president of the United States. St-Pierre Plamondon says the party still intends to hold a referendum on whether Quebec should separate from Canada during its first mandate if elected. However, he says such a crucial decision about Quebec’s future requires a clear and calm debate. He says the referendum debate should not be disrupted by American politics or unexpected announcements from the U.S. president. According to St-Pierre Plamondon, the unpredic
AlbertaAug 18, 2026

Sentencing Arguments Begin for Man Convicted of Sexually Assaulting Three Women

Sentencing arguments begin today for 62-year-old Richard Mantha, who was convicted of sexually assaulting three vulnerable women and drugging one of them. Mantha was found guilty of six offences following a trial that lasted more than two years. The full day has been set aside for the Crown and defence to present their arguments on what sentence he should receive. He was convicted of two counts of sexual assault, as well as choking while committing a sexual assault and administering a noxious substance. Mantha was also found guilty of assault with a weapon and uttering threats against a fourth
BCAug 18, 2026

Goldstream Falls swimming incident: 27-year-old man dies

A 27-year-old man has died after getting into distress while swimming near Goldstream Falls in Goldstream Provincial Park on Monday evening. West Shore RCMP said officers responded to the incident at around 7:35 p.m. on August 17. The man reportedly went underwater while swimming near the waterfall and did not resurface. Bystanders pulled him from the water and immediately began life-saving measures. Police, BC Emergency Health Services and Langford Fire Department later arrived and continued the emergency response. The man was taken to hospital for further treatment but later succumbed to his
poilievre-attacks-carney-government-over-ev-mandate
BCAug 18, 2026

Poilievre Attacks Carney Government Over EV Mandate

Canada’s main opposition leader, Pierre Poilievre, has launched a strong attack on Prime Minister Mark Carney’s government over its electric vehicle policy. Poilievre alleges that while the government is moving to scrap the existing EV sales mandate, it is planning to bring back a similar requirement through the “back door” using tougher emissions standards. According to a notice published in the Canada Gazette, the government has recently started the process of repealing the previous EV Sales Mandate, which required 20 per cent of new vehicles sold in 2026 to be electric. Reacting to