26.14°C Vancouver

News

sidhu-moosewalas-father-announces-to-contest-mansa-assembly-elections
IndiaMay 27, 2025

Sidhu Moosewala's father announces to contest Mansa assembly elections

Sidhu Moosewala's father Balkaur Singh will contest from Mansa seat in the 2027 assembly elections. He made this announcement while talking to reporters during the 'Save the Constitution' rally organized by the Congress in Mansa. He said that despite the passage of three years, he has not got justice for his son's murder till date, hence he will contest from Mansa assembly seat in the 2027 assembly elections and will raise his voice in the Punjab assembly to get justice for his son and will also continue to work for his constituency.
blast-on-amritsar-majitha-road-man-who-came-to-collect-explosives-dies
IndiaMay 27, 2025

Blast on Amritsar Majitha road, man who came to collect explosives dies

A bomb blast took place near the village of Nashehra on Amritsar-Majitha Bypass Road in Punjab this morning, killing one person. The incident took place in a deserted and empty place near the road. Some of the body parts of the person were severed from the body due to the blast. According to DIG of Border Range Satinder Singh, some evidence has been found in the pocket of the deceased, which makes it clear that he was working for a terrorist organization and had come to collect the explosive consignment kept at the scene of the incident. Former Akali MLA Bikram Singh Majithia said that the
raman-arora-arrested-by-vigilance-in-corruption-case
IndiaMay 23, 2025

Raman Arora arrested by Vigilance in corruption case

Aam Aadmi Party MLA from Jalandhar Central in Punjab, Raman Arora, has been arrested by Vigilance in a corruption case. The Vigilance team raided Raman Arora's house in Ashok Nagar around 9 am. It is being told that this Aam Aadmi Party MLA used to send false notices to innocent people through the officials of Jalandhar Municipal Corporation. Then he used to take money from them and remove the notices. In this whole matter, Punjab Chief Minister Bhagwant Mann released a video and said that whether someone is our own or someone else, if anyone is involved in any kind of corruption, he will
india-removes-another-official-from-pakistani-high-commission
IndiaMay 22, 2025

India removes another official from Pakistani High Commission

The Shahbaz government of Pakistan has dismissed an Indian staffer posted at the Indian High Commission in Islamabad in response to India's action. The previous day, India had dismissed a Pakistani official working at the Pakistani High Commission on charges of espionage. This was the second case of dismissal by India in the Pakistani High Commission in the past one week. Earlier, India had dismissed a Pakistani official on May 13 for involvement in espionage activities. At the same time, in response to this, the Pakistan Foreign Ministry said in a statement that it has asked an official o
bhagwant-mann-government-appoints-chairmen-and-directors-in-several-departments
IndiaMay 20, 2025

Bhagwant Mann government appoints chairmen and directors in several departments

The Bhagwant Mann government of Punjab is under the attack of the opposition parties after appointing chairmen and members of several departments, corporations and boards. The opposition parties allege that many of them are non-Punjabis, who previously worked for the Aam Aadmi Party in Delhi. In particular, questions have been raised on the appointment of two names, one of which is Reena Gupta, who has been appointed as the Chairperson of the Punjab Pollution Control Board and the other is Deepak Chauhan, who has been appointed as the Chairman of the Punjab Industrial Development Board. Ac
retreat-ceremony-held-after-12-days-at-attari-wagah-border-in-punjab
IndiaMay 20, 2025

Retreat ceremony held after 12 days at Attari-Wagah border in Punjab

A retreat ceremony was held after 12 days at Attari-Wagah border in Punjab. It was closed on May 7 after India's Operation Sindhur on Pakistan on the night of May 6-7. However, the gates of the India-Pakistan border were kept closed today during the retreat ceremony. The soldiers of both the countries did not even shake hands with each other. Apart from this, there was a crowd in the Indian gallery, while on the Pakistani side, Pakistani Rangers made the workers there sit in the gallery. Retreat ceremonies were also held at Hussainiwala in Ferozepur and Sadki border in Fazilka. This retreat
mp-gurjit-aujlas-questions-punjab-govt-in-majitha-poisonous-liquor-case
IndiaMay 16, 2025

MP Gurjit Aujla's questions Punjab govt. in Majitha poisonous liquor case

MP Gurjit Aujla has held Chief Minister Bhagwant Mann's government responsible for the death of 27 people due to consuming poisonous liquor in Majitha constituency of Amritsar in Punjab. Addressing a press conference in Chandigarh, he also demanded Chief Minister Bhagwant Mann to make liquor cheaper in villages. He said that the trade of spurious liquor can be stopped only when the government makes cheap liquor available at the shops. The Congress MP said that the Punjab government has estimated to collect 11 thousand crores in revenue from liquor but this target will not be possible to meet
sgpc-gives-cheques-of-rs-5-lakh-each-to-sikh-families-affected-by-poonch-attack
IndiaMay 16, 2025

SGPC gives cheques of Rs 5 lakh each to Sikh families affected by Poonch attack

The Shiromani Gurdwara Parbandhak Committee has handed over cheques of Rs 5 lakh each to the families of 4 Sikhs killed in firing by Pakistan in Poonch, Jammu and Kashmir. A delegation led by SGPC President Advocate Harjinder Singh Dhami had reached Poonch today to attend the Bhog and Ardas on behalf of Ragi Bhai Amrik Singh, where they expressed their condolences to the members of all the victim families. On this occasion, Advocate Dhami said that whenever a Sikh in the country or the world has faced a difficult time, the SGPC has fulfilled its responsibility by standing with them, considerin
sri-kartarpur-sahib-corridor-should-be-opened-soon-gargaj
IndiaMay 15, 2025

Sri Kartarpur Sahib Corridor should be opened soon: Gargaj

Acting Jathedar of Sri Akal Takht Sahib Giani Kuldeep Singh Gargaj has demanded that the governments of India and Pakistan open the Sri Kartarpur Sahib Corridor soon in view of the improving situation after the ceasefire. He said that with the opening of Sri Kartarpur Sahib Corridor, the relationship between the two countries will be even more peaceful and comfortable and mutual relations will be strengthened. He said that since this corridor was opened, a large number of Sikh pilgrims have been going to Sri Kartarpur Sahib Narowal, the holy place of Sri Guru Nanak Dev Ji, to pay homage. Th

Just In

18-year-old-shooting-suspect-turns-himself-in-to-burnaby-rcmp
BCAug 21, 2026

18-year-old shooting suspect turns himself in to Burnaby RCMP

A suspect wanted in connection with a December 2025 shooting in North Burnaby has turned himself in to authorities. Burnaby RCMP said officers responded on Dec. 19, 2025, to a report of a shooting near Phillips Avenue and Woodbrook Place. A man was found suffering from gunshot wounds and was taken to hospital for treatment. The RCMP’s Investigative Support Team took over the investigation. On Dec. 25, charges were laid and an arrest warrant was issued for 18-year-old Ronin Tajali. Tajali has since surrendered to police and remains in custody awaiting a bail hearing. Police thanked the public
AlbertaAug 21, 2026

Leaders Condemn Nanaksar Gurdwara Attack, Call for Action Against Anti-Sikh Hate

Federal NDP MP for Edmonton Strathcona Heather McPherson, along with leaders from across the country, has strongly condemned the attack at Nanaksar Gurdwara Sahib and expressed solidarity with the Sikh community. They called for a full investigation into the incident, urging authorities to take the growing anti-Sikh hatred in Canada seriously and implement stronger measures to protect places of worship. McPherson said everyone has the right to practise their religion freely and that such violent attacks are unacceptable under any circumstances. Meanwhile, Surrey-Newton MP Sukh Dhaliwal express
poilievre-warns-accepting-u-s-tariffs-could-devastate-canadas-industrial-sector
BCAug 21, 2026

Poilievre Warns Accepting U.S. Tariffs Could Devastate Canada’s Industrial Sector

Conservative Party Leader Pierre Poilievre has lashed out at the Liberal government during ongoing Canada-U.S. trade talks in Washington, warning that accepting unilateral U.S. tariffs could devastate Canada’s industrial sector. Speaking to reporters in Kitchener, Ontario, Poilievre strongly criticized the proposed 25 per cent U.S. tariffs on steel and aluminum. He said that if Canada accepts such discriminatory terms, major Canadian businesses and factories could leave the country, causing long-term damage to the Canadian economy. Taking aim at Prime Minister Mark Carney, Poilievre said Car
AlbertaAug 21, 2026

Edmonton Nanaksar Gurdwara Stabbing Leaves Two Injured, Suspect Arrested

A stabbing incident at Nanaksar Gurdwara Sahib in Edmonton early Friday morning left two people injured. Police have arrested a suspect at the scene. According to police, the incident occurred at around 5:08 a.m. at the gurdwara located near 14 Street and Horsehills Road. The two injured individuals were treated at the scene, and their injuries were considered non-life-threatening. Police are questioning the arrested suspect, while officers continue their investigation in and around the gurdwara to ensure the safety of the congregation. Meanwhile, the World Sikh Organization of Canada said in
42-year-old-man-charged-in-immigration-fraud-case-arrest-warrant-issued
CanadaAug 21, 2026

42-Year-Old Man Charged in Immigration Fraud Case, Arrest Warrant Issued

The Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) has laid five charges against 42-year-old Abul Qasim for allegedly helping people enter Canada illegally and committing immigration fraud. An arrest warrant has also been issued for him. According to the CBSA, Qasim previously lived in Montreal but left Canada in June 2025 and is believed to be currently outside the country. The arrest warrant was issued after he failed to appear in response to a summons issued by a Montreal court. The CBSA began investigating the alleged scheme in 2024 after receiving confidential information from Immigration, Refugees