17.6°C Vancouver

News

a-blow-to-chief-minister-kejriwal-from-the-high-court-the-petition-challenging-the-arrest-was-dismissed
IndiaApr 09, 2024

A blow to Chief Minister Kejriwal from the High Court, the petition challenging the arrest was dismissed

The High Court has upheld the arrest and remand of Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal in the money laundering case related to the Delhi liquor scam and dismissed the Chief Minister's petition against it. The court said that the ED had produced sufficient evidence, which showed that the money was sent for the Goa elections. The High Court said that the ED followed the legal procedure, the agency has the statements of the hawala operators and the Aam Aadmi Party candidate. In the absence of relief from the Delhi High Court, the Aam Aadmi Party can now take Kejriwal's case to the Supreme Court. Cur
vikramjit-singh-chaudhary-resigned-from-the-post-of-chief-whip
IndiaApr 08, 2024

Vikramjit Singh Chaudhary resigned from the post of Chief Whip

Punjab Congress MLA from Phillaur Vikramjit Singh Chaudhary on Monday resigned from the post of Congress Chief Whip in the Punjab Vidhan Sabha. He has sent his resignation to Pratap Singh Bajwa. Vikramjit Singh Chaudhary was opposing the candidature of Charanjit Channi from the Jalandhar Lok Sabha seat. Vikramjit is the son of former MP from Jalandhar Chaudhary Santokh Singh and was contesting for this seat. It is said that the Congress had made up its mind to make Charanjit Channi a candidate from Jalandhar, which Vikramjit Chaudhary was angry with. According to reports, Vikramjit Singh Cha
congress-will-soon-release-the-list-of-candidates
IndiaApr 08, 2024

Congress will soon release the list of candidates

Punjab Congress President Raja Waring says that the party may announce Lok Sabha candidates in Punjab this week. He said that our purpose is to stop BJP. It is to be noted that the Akali Dal and the Congress have not announced their candidates in the state so far, while senior leaders and common workers of both the parties are still hopeful of a political alliance between the Shiromani Akali Dal and the BJP. BJP has announced candidates in 6 constituencies but internally the leaders of both the parties are said to be in favor of the alliance. Akali Dal General Secretary Prem Singh Chandumajr
winning-the-jalandhar-seat-is-our-first-priority-chief-minister-bhagwant-mann
IndiaApr 08, 2024

Winning the Jalandhar seat is our first priority: Chief Minister Bhagwant Mann

Punjab Chief Minister Bhagwant Mann has made the Lok Sabha seats of Jalandhar and Sangrur a question of his prestige. He has told the MLAs and other office bearers of the party that we have special attention on these two seats and these seats have to be won at any cost. Chief Minister said that our first priority is Jalandhar seat. If reports are to be believed, the party may field Cabinet Minister Balkar Sidhu from Jalandhar seat, from where Sushil Rinku was earlier given a ticket but Rinku joined the BJP and is now contesting from the BJP. The Lok Sabha seat of Sangrur was lost by the Aam
simranjit-singh-mann-announced-3-more-candidates-for-lok-sabha-elections
IndiaApr 08, 2024

Simranjit Singh Mann announced 3 more candidates for Lok Sabha elections

Shiromani Akali Dal Amritsar President Simranjit Singh Mann has today announced candidates for three more seats of Punjab in his second list for the Lok Sabha elections. From Amritsar, he has given ticket to his son Iman Singh Mann, while from Ferozepur seat, former Punjab Police Inspector Bhupinder Singh Bhullar has been made the candidate. Harpal Singh Baler has been given ticket from Khadoor Sahib. Simarjeet Singh Mann himself is contesting from Sangrur, where he is currently the Member of Parliament. Simranjit Singh Mann is a former IPS officer.
as-soon-as-he-came-out-on-bail-sanjay-singh-held-a-press-conference-and-targeted-the-bjp
IndiaApr 05, 2024

As soon as he came out on bail, Sanjay Singh held a press conference and targeted the BJP

Aam Aadmi Party leader Sanjay Singh, who is out on bail in the Delhi liquor scam, held a press conference on Friday and accused the BJP of being behind the liquor scam. He said that Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal has been arrested under a conspiracy. He alleged that the investigating agency ED pressured TDP MP Manguta Reddy and his father Raghav Reddy to record statements against Kejriwal. It is to be noted that after being granted bail by the Supreme Court, Sanjay Singh was released from Tihar Jail on Wednesday evening, he was in jail for 6 months.
video-of-mla-campaigning-in-favor-of-laljit-bhullar-went-viral
IndiaApr 05, 2024

Video of MLA campaigning in favor of Laljit Bhullar went viral

A video of Sarwan Singh Dhun, MLA from Khemkaran, campaigning in the villages of the constituency for Aam Aadmi Party's Lok Sabha candidate Laljit Singh Bhullar from Khadur Sahib in Punjab has gone viral. People complained to him about the bricks in the street, in response to which he said that these bricks are being planted all over Punjab, let's vote, if they fall less then the MP will fall, what should I do with them? This video of him has been shared by Akali Dal leader Virsa Singh Valtoha on social media. It is to be noted that Sarwan Singh Dhun is an MLA of AAP.
navjot-sidhu-shared-an-emotional-post-after-the-surgery-of-his-wife-who-is-fighting-cancer
IndiaApr 05, 2024

Navjot Sidhu shared an emotional post after the surgery of his wife who is fighting cancer

Former president of Punjab Congress Navjot Singh Sidhu's wife Dr. Navjot Kaur Sidhu had another cancer operation yesterday. Navjot Kaur Sidhu is suffering from breast cancer and has already undergone an operation. His second operation took place in a hospital in Yamunanagar, the information of which Navjot Singh Sidhu himself shared through social media. Dr. Navjot Kaur Sidhu's operation lasted for three and a half hours, in which her affected skin was removed. In this difficult time, Navjot Singh Sidhu is taking care of his wife away from politics. They are supporting them. After the operat
sidhu-moosewala-murder-case-25-accused-were-tried-in-mansa-court
IndiaApr 05, 2024

Sidhu Moosewala murder case: 25 accused were tried in Mansa court

The hearing of the 25 accused in the murder case of Sidhu Moosewala was held today in Mansa court, in which 21 accused appeared through video conferencing but four accused did not appear even through video conferencing, based on which the court issued production warrants for the four accused. And the next hearing of the matter has been fixed on April 9. It is to be noted that on the evening of May 29, 2022, Sidhu Moosewala was shot dead near Jawahar village of Mansa. So far, the police have not been able to bring any of the accused to justice in this case.

Just In

b-c-conservative-leader-attacks-eby-government-over-forestry-decline
BCAug 18, 2026

B.C. Conservative Leader Attacks Eby Government Over Forestry Decline

B.C. Conservative Party Leader John Rustad has accused Premier David Eby of blaming U.S. President Donald Trump’s tariffs for the province’s forestry-sector decline in an attempt to hide his government’s own failures. In a statement Tuesday, Rustad said U.S. tariffs are harmful and should be strongly opposed. However, he said forestry production in B.C.’s Interior began declining as early as 2016, long before Trump returned to office, and has now fallen by about 50 per cent. According to Rustad, poor provincial policies, permit processes that can take two to three years, and uncertaint
trumps-presidency-delays-quebec-sovereignty-referendum-says-parti-québécois
CanadaAug 18, 2026

Trump’s Presidency Delays Quebec Sovereignty Referendum, Says Parti Québécois

Parti Québécois leader Paul St-Pierre Plamondon says his party would not hold a referendum on Quebec sovereignty while Donald Trump remains president of the United States. St-Pierre Plamondon says the party still intends to hold a referendum on whether Quebec should separate from Canada during its first mandate if elected. However, he says such a crucial decision about Quebec’s future requires a clear and calm debate. He says the referendum debate should not be disrupted by American politics or unexpected announcements from the U.S. president. According to St-Pierre Plamondon, the unpredic
AlbertaAug 18, 2026

Sentencing Arguments Begin for Man Convicted of Sexually Assaulting Three Women

Sentencing arguments begin today for 62-year-old Richard Mantha, who was convicted of sexually assaulting three vulnerable women and drugging one of them. Mantha was found guilty of six offences following a trial that lasted more than two years. The full day has been set aside for the Crown and defence to present their arguments on what sentence he should receive. He was convicted of two counts of sexual assault, as well as choking while committing a sexual assault and administering a noxious substance. Mantha was also found guilty of assault with a weapon and uttering threats against a fourth
BCAug 18, 2026

Goldstream Falls swimming incident: 27-year-old man dies

A 27-year-old man has died after getting into distress while swimming near Goldstream Falls in Goldstream Provincial Park on Monday evening. West Shore RCMP said officers responded to the incident at around 7:35 p.m. on August 17. The man reportedly went underwater while swimming near the waterfall and did not resurface. Bystanders pulled him from the water and immediately began life-saving measures. Police, BC Emergency Health Services and Langford Fire Department later arrived and continued the emergency response. The man was taken to hospital for further treatment but later succumbed to his
poilievre-attacks-carney-government-over-ev-mandate
BCAug 18, 2026

Poilievre Attacks Carney Government Over EV Mandate

Canada’s main opposition leader, Pierre Poilievre, has launched a strong attack on Prime Minister Mark Carney’s government over its electric vehicle policy. Poilievre alleges that while the government is moving to scrap the existing EV sales mandate, it is planning to bring back a similar requirement through the “back door” using tougher emissions standards. According to a notice published in the Canada Gazette, the government has recently started the process of repealing the previous EV Sales Mandate, which required 20 per cent of new vehicles sold in 2026 to be electric. Reacting to