20.23°C Vancouver

News

jagmeet-singh-says-early-federal-election-more-likely-now
CanadaSep 05, 2024

Jagmeet Singh says Early federal election more likely now

NDP leader Jagmeet Singh will contest as the Prime Ministerial candidate in the upcoming federal election. He announced this today during a news conference in Toronto. Attacking the Conservatives, he said that only he can stop Pierre Poilievre. At the same time, he said he knows that ending the deal with Trudeau means an election could happen anytime and he is ready for it, whenever it happens.In the News Conference, Jagmeet Singh takes aim at Prime Minister Justin Trudeau and Pierre Poilievre. He said that Trudeau and his Liberal Party have failed to stop Poilievre and Conservative and only N
ndp-leader-jagmeet-singh-making-an-announcement-today-at-1-p-m-et
CanadaSep 04, 2024

Jagmeet Singh pulls out of supply-and-confidence deal with Trudeau government

In March 2022, the Liberals and NDP penned a deal that would keep the minority government led by Prime Minister Justin Trudeau in power until June 2025 and move ahead on some mutually agreeable policies. It was called a confidence and supply agreement. The move puts Prime Minister Justin Trudeau’s minority at risk of falling at any time in the coming weeks or months if it loses any confidence votes, which could trigger a snap election as soon as this fall. "Justin Trudeau has proven again and again he will always cave to corporate greed. The Liberals have let people down. They don't deserve
unionized-metro-vancouver-handydart-employees-plan-strike-rally-after-offer-rejection
BCSep 03, 2024

Unionized Metro Vancouver HandyDART employees plan strike rally after offer rejection

The union local for Metro Vancouver HandyDART workers says it will hold a rally in Vancouver today to mark the beginning of its strike after members voted down a final offer by employer Transdev Canada last week. The Amalgamated Transit Union Local 1724 says the rally will begin at noon across from Pacific Central Station in Vancouver. The union local says the majority of its members are "frustrated," and rejected the company's offer after dealing with staffing shortages and "poor compensation" compared to other transit employees. A statement from the union says the rally will feature speakers
boc-expected-to-cut-key-interest-rate-despite-stronger-than-anticipated-growth-in-q2
CanadaAug 30, 2024

BoC expected to cut key interest rate, despite stronger-than-anticipated growth in Q2

Economists say the Bank of Canada is still on track to cut interest rates next week, despite economic growth coming in stronger than expected in the second quarter. Statistics Canada said on Friday the economy grew at an annualized rate of 2.1 per cent in the second quarter – beating the Bank of Canada’s forecast. But real gross domestic product continued to shrink on a per-person basis, marking the fifth consecutive decline. Economists typically look at GDP per capita to assess the standard of living. Overall economic growth also halted toward the end of the quarter as real gross domestic
poilievre-urges-singh-to-end-ndp-deal-with-liberals-force-fall-election
CanadaAug 29, 2024

Poilievre urges Singh to end NDP deal with Liberals, force fall election

Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre has written to the leader of the New Democrats, urging him to force an election this fall. Poilievre's letter to Jagmeet Singh says the NDP does not have a mandate from voters to keep Prime Minister Justin Trudeau in power for another year. He's urging Singh to vote non-confidence in the government when the House of Commons resumes in September. The NDP entered a supply and confidence deal with the Liberals in 2022, agreeing to keep the minority government in power until 2025 in exchange for movement on key priorities. Singh has highlighted social programs
montreals-concordia-university-reports-drop-in-enrolment-following-tuition-hike
CanadaAug 28, 2024

Montreal's Concordia University reports drop in enrolment following tuition hike

Montreal's Concordia University is reporting a nearly 30 per cent drop in new registrations of out-of-province students following a tuition hike announced last year by the Quebec government. The university says enrolment of international students has dropped by 11 per cent compared to last year. The provincial government has increased tuition for out-of-province students to $12,000 from $9,000 as part of an effort to protect the French language, but Quebec's two largest English-language universities are fighting the change. McGill University says it won't have its final enrolment numbers until
torontos-whooping-cough-cases-more-than-double-pre-pandemic-average-public-health
CanadaAug 27, 2024

Toronto's whooping cough cases more than double pre-pandemic average: public health

Toronto Public Health says the number of whooping cough cases are more than double the pre-pandemic average. The public health agency is reporting 99 cases in Toronto so far this year compared to the pre-pandemic five-year average of 38. Whooping cough, also known as pertussis, is a cyclical disease that occasionally increases every two to six years in Ontario. It is a highly contagious persistent cough that’s of most concern for infants. Toronto Public Health says 41 per cent of cases are found in 10 to 14-year-olds. Last week, New Brunswick health officials said a whooping cough outbreak h
canada-to-bring-back-stricter-rules-for-temporary-foreign-worker-program
CanadaAug 26, 2024

Canada to bring back stricter rules for temporary foreign worker program

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says his government will reduce the number of low-wage temporary foreign workers with stricter rules, urging employers to hire Canadian workers instead. The federal government announced today that it will refuse applications for low-wage temporary foreign workers in regions with an unemployment rate of six per cent or higher. Employers will be allowed to hire a maximum of 10 per cent of their workforce from the temporary foreign worker program, down from 20 per cent. Workers hired through the low-wage stream will be able to work a maximum of one year, down from tw
scenic-highway-in-jasper-national-park-reopened-as-wildfire-continues-to-be-held
FeaturedAug 23, 2024

Scenic highway in Jasper National Park reopened as wildfire continues to be held

One of Canada's most scenic highways has reopened as the wildfire in Jasper National Park continues to be held. Jane Park, incident commander with Parks Canada, says Highway 93, also known as the Icefields Parkway, is now open to through traffic. But she warns travellers must head straight through the mountain- and glacier-lined road without stopping. She says there are no services available on the highway between the town of Jasper and the Icefields Discovery Centre and Saskatchewan River Crossing, a stretch of about 150 kilometres. Park says RCMP and emergency services are available on the r

Just In

b-c-conservative-leader-attacks-eby-government-over-forestry-decline
BCAug 18, 2026

B.C. Conservative Leader Attacks Eby Government Over Forestry Decline

B.C. Conservative Party Leader John Rustad has accused Premier David Eby of blaming U.S. President Donald Trump’s tariffs for the province’s forestry-sector decline in an attempt to hide his government’s own failures. In a statement Tuesday, Rustad said U.S. tariffs are harmful and should be strongly opposed. However, he said forestry production in B.C.’s Interior began declining as early as 2016, long before Trump returned to office, and has now fallen by about 50 per cent. According to Rustad, poor provincial policies, permit processes that can take two to three years, and uncertaint
trumps-presidency-delays-quebec-sovereignty-referendum-says-parti-québécois
CanadaAug 18, 2026

Trump’s Presidency Delays Quebec Sovereignty Referendum, Says Parti Québécois

Parti Québécois leader Paul St-Pierre Plamondon says his party would not hold a referendum on Quebec sovereignty while Donald Trump remains president of the United States. St-Pierre Plamondon says the party still intends to hold a referendum on whether Quebec should separate from Canada during its first mandate if elected. However, he says such a crucial decision about Quebec’s future requires a clear and calm debate. He says the referendum debate should not be disrupted by American politics or unexpected announcements from the U.S. president. According to St-Pierre Plamondon, the unpredic
AlbertaAug 18, 2026

Sentencing Arguments Begin for Man Convicted of Sexually Assaulting Three Women

Sentencing arguments begin today for 62-year-old Richard Mantha, who was convicted of sexually assaulting three vulnerable women and drugging one of them. Mantha was found guilty of six offences following a trial that lasted more than two years. The full day has been set aside for the Crown and defence to present their arguments on what sentence he should receive. He was convicted of two counts of sexual assault, as well as choking while committing a sexual assault and administering a noxious substance. Mantha was also found guilty of assault with a weapon and uttering threats against a fourth
BCAug 18, 2026

Goldstream Falls swimming incident: 27-year-old man dies

A 27-year-old man has died after getting into distress while swimming near Goldstream Falls in Goldstream Provincial Park on Monday evening. West Shore RCMP said officers responded to the incident at around 7:35 p.m. on August 17. The man reportedly went underwater while swimming near the waterfall and did not resurface. Bystanders pulled him from the water and immediately began life-saving measures. Police, BC Emergency Health Services and Langford Fire Department later arrived and continued the emergency response. The man was taken to hospital for further treatment but later succumbed to his
poilievre-attacks-carney-government-over-ev-mandate
BCAug 18, 2026

Poilievre Attacks Carney Government Over EV Mandate

Canada’s main opposition leader, Pierre Poilievre, has launched a strong attack on Prime Minister Mark Carney’s government over its electric vehicle policy. Poilievre alleges that while the government is moving to scrap the existing EV sales mandate, it is planning to bring back a similar requirement through the “back door” using tougher emissions standards. According to a notice published in the Canada Gazette, the government has recently started the process of repealing the previous EV Sales Mandate, which required 20 per cent of new vehicles sold in 2026 to be electric. Reacting to