17.81°C Vancouver

News

school-bus-fire-quebec-pulls-all-1-200-lion-electric-buses-off-roads-for-inspection
CanadaSep 12, 2025

School bus fire: Quebec pulls all 1,200 Lion electric buses off roads for inspection

Schools across Quebec have been forced to cancel bus service after the government pulled all of the roughly 1,200 Lion electric buses in the province off the roads. The provincial government said it took the preventive measure after a Lion electric school bus caught fire in Montreal earlier this week. Several children and a driver were inside the bus when it caught fire but no one was injured. In response to the government's decision, some school service centres chose to cancel bus routes, and others cancelled the school day entirely. The Quebec government said it pulled the buses so that they
canada-post-union-to-lift-overtime-ban-stop-delivering-flyers
CanadaSep 12, 2025

Canada Post union to lift overtime ban, stop delivering flyers

The Canadian Union of Postal Workers says it will lift its overtime ban as of Monday at 12:01 am local time, and instead implement a ban on commercial flyer delivery. CUPW president Jan Simpson is calling on Canada Post to get back to the bargaining table in hopes of wrapping up the ongoing dispute before the holiday season. The union has banned overtime work since late May as it works to secure a new contract with Canada Post. Late last month, the union responded to Canada Post's latest offers with a proposal that called for higher wages but made some allowances for part-time worker
victim-identified-in-fatal-langley-shooting
BCSep 11, 2025

Victim identified in fatal Langley shooting

The victim of Friday’s fatal shooting in Langley has been identified as 24-year-old Taran Pandher. IHIT’s Integrated Gang Homicide Team (IGHT) has taken conduct of the investigation. Background: On September 5, 2025, at approximately 10:28 p.m. the Langley RCMP responded reports of a shooting around 200 Street and 53 Avenue, Langley. Frontline officers arrived promptly, located the victim and initiated lifesaving measures. Despite their efforts, the victim succumbed to their injures at the scene. The shooting occurred while the victim was inside a taxi and there is only one victim and no o
here-are-the-first-major-projects-on-ottawas-fast-track-list
CanadaSep 11, 2025

Here are the first major projects on Ottawa's fast-track list

Prime Minister Mark Carney named the first five projects on the federal government's fast-track list on Thursday — part of his plan to attract outside investment and bolster the Canadian economy.The projects include planned energy development, mining and port infrastructure projects from the West Coast to Central Canada.The government also released an expanded list of projects not quite ready for prime time that includes additional initiatives in Eastern Canada and the North.The first five initiatives will be referred for review to the new Major Projects Office, which the government says wil
conservatives-plan-to-introduce-their-own-bill-on-bail-reform-this-fall
CanadaSep 11, 2025

Conservatives plan to introduce their own bill on bail reform this fall

Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre says his party will introduce a bill this fall that would make it harder for peopleaccused of certain crimes to get bail.   Poilievre says the proposal would create a new category of major offences that includes things like sexual assault, kidnapping, human trafficking, home invasion and firearms charges. The Conservative bill would impose a reverse onus on people accused of such crimes requiring that they prove they should be released on bail.Premiers, police associations and the federal Tories have been calling for stricter bail laws in recent months.
surrey-shootings-up-alarmingly-compared-to-2024
CanadaSep 11, 2025

Surrey shootings up alarmingly compared to 2024

Surrey has seen a worrying increase in shootings compared to 2024. Most of these incidents are linked to extortion attempts targeting South Asian businesses. According to reports, there have been 53 shootings in Surrey so far this year, an 89 per cent increase from 2024. According to Surrey Police, 39 extortion-related incidents have been reported this year, of which 27 involved gunfire. Eleanor Sturko, BC Conservative Shadow Minister for Public Safety, said the 89 per cent increase in shootings is extremely concerning. She said the NDP government should provide additional funding to incr
driver-facing-charges-in-daycare-crash-that-killed-toddler-injured-six-other-kids
CanadaSep 11, 2025

Driver facing charges in daycare crash that killed toddler, injured six other kids

A man in his 70s is facing charges after an SUV crashed into a daycare north of Toronto on Wednesday, killing a toddler and injuring six other children. York Regional Police say the man, who was arrested at the scene in Richmond Hill, Ont., is facing one count of dangerous driving causing death and one count of dangerous driving causing bodily harm. Police say this morning that one of the injured children is still in critical condition at the hospital, while the others did not sustain life-threatening injuries. Three adult staff members were also hurt. Investigators said Wednes
carney-to-unveil-major-projects-list-in-edmonton-amid-push-for-investment
CanadaSep 11, 2025

Carney to unveil major projects list in Edmonton amid push for investment

Prime Minister Mark Carney will today unveil his government's list of candidates for major projects that could get fast-track approval as he pushes to spur investment and grow the economy. Bill C-5, which moved through Parliament at lightning speed in the spring, is meant to streamline and speed up approvals for large infrastructure projects the prime minister and his cabinet decide are in the national interest. Carney's government launched a new office over the summer to hasten project approvals, part of his government's response to the economic threats posed by the administration of U.S. Pre
pm-mark-carney-condemns-russian-drone-attack-in-poland
CanadaSep 10, 2025

PM Mark Carney condemns Russian drone attack in Poland

PM Mark Carney has condemned the Russian drone incursion into Poland, saying it is completely counterproductive to peace efforts. Carney said Canada is monitoring the situation closely. The prime minister said that to bring lasting peace to Ukraine and Europe, we must increase pressure on Putin to end the Ukraine war. Defence Minister David McGuinty said in a statement that several NATO countries were involved in shooting down a Russian drone that violated Polish airspace, but he did not confirm whether any Canadian resources were used in the operation. The government said that Canada's p

Just In

18-year-old-shooting-suspect-turns-himself-in-to-burnaby-rcmp
BCAug 21, 2026

18-year-old shooting suspect turns himself in to Burnaby RCMP

A suspect wanted in connection with a December 2025 shooting in North Burnaby has turned himself in to authorities. Burnaby RCMP said officers responded on Dec. 19, 2025, to a report of a shooting near Phillips Avenue and Woodbrook Place. A man was found suffering from gunshot wounds and was taken to hospital for treatment. The RCMP’s Investigative Support Team took over the investigation. On Dec. 25, charges were laid and an arrest warrant was issued for 18-year-old Ronin Tajali. Tajali has since surrendered to police and remains in custody awaiting a bail hearing. Police thanked the public
leaders-condemn-nanaksar-gurdwara-attack-call-for-action-against-anti-sikh-hate
AlbertaAug 21, 2026

Leaders Condemn Nanaksar Gurdwara Attack, Call for Action Against Anti-Sikh Hate

Federal NDP MP for Edmonton Strathcona Heather McPherson, along with leaders from across the country, has strongly condemned the attack at Nanaksar Gurdwara Sahib and expressed solidarity with the Sikh community. They called for a full investigation into the incident, urging authorities to take the growing anti-Sikh hatred in Canada seriously and implement stronger measures to protect places of worship. McPherson said everyone has the right to practise their religion freely and that such violent attacks are unacceptable under any circumstances. Meanwhile, Surrey-Newton MP Sukh Dhaliwal express
poilievre-warns-accepting-u-s-tariffs-could-devastate-canadas-industrial-sector
BCAug 21, 2026

Poilievre Warns Accepting U.S. Tariffs Could Devastate Canada’s Industrial Sector

Conservative Party Leader Pierre Poilievre has lashed out at the Liberal government during ongoing Canada-U.S. trade talks in Washington, warning that accepting unilateral U.S. tariffs could devastate Canada’s industrial sector. Speaking to reporters in Kitchener, Ontario, Poilievre strongly criticized the proposed 25 per cent U.S. tariffs on steel and aluminum. He said that if Canada accepts such discriminatory terms, major Canadian businesses and factories could leave the country, causing long-term damage to the Canadian economy. Taking aim at Prime Minister Mark Carney, Poilievre said Car
AlbertaAug 21, 2026

Edmonton Nanaksar Gurdwara Stabbing Leaves Two Injured, Suspect Arrested

A stabbing incident at Nanaksar Gurdwara Sahib in Edmonton early Friday morning left two people injured. Police have arrested a suspect at the scene. According to police, the incident occurred at around 5:08 a.m. at the gurdwara located near 14 Street and Horsehills Road. The two injured individuals were treated at the scene, and their injuries were considered non-life-threatening. Police are questioning the arrested suspect, while officers continue their investigation in and around the gurdwara to ensure the safety of the congregation. Meanwhile, the World Sikh Organization of Canada said in
42-year-old-man-charged-in-immigration-fraud-case-arrest-warrant-issued
CanadaAug 21, 2026

42-Year-Old Man Charged in Immigration Fraud Case, Arrest Warrant Issued

The Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) has laid five charges against 42-year-old Abul Qasim for allegedly helping people enter Canada illegally and committing immigration fraud. An arrest warrant has also been issued for him. According to the CBSA, Qasim previously lived in Montreal but left Canada in June 2025 and is believed to be currently outside the country. The arrest warrant was issued after he failed to appear in response to a summons issued by a Montreal court. The CBSA began investigating the alleged scheme in 2024 after receiving confidential information from Immigration, Refugees