17.96°C Vancouver

News

senate-approves-citizenship-reform-for-lost-canadians-as-advocates-raise-adoption-concerns
CanadaNov 20, 2025

Senate approves citizenship reform for ‘Lost Canadians’ as advocates raise adoption concerns

Federal legislation designed to address long-standing gaps in Canada’s citizenship rules has cleared the Senate and is expected to become law before a court-imposed deadline early next year. The bill aims to resolve cases involving so-called Lost Canadians – individuals born abroad to Canadian parents who were themselves born outside the country and who lost access to citizenship because of restrictive rules adopted in 2009. The changes come after the Ontario Superior Court ruled last year that the previous one-generation limit on citizenship by descent was unconstitutional. Under the upda
CanadaNov 20, 2025

Two people dead and four others critically injured after early morning house fire in Brampton

Emergency crews in Brampton are investigating a deadly house fire that claimed the lives of two adults and left four others, including a child, in critical condition early Thursday. Peel Regional Police say the blaze erupted around 2:30 a.m. at a home on Banas Way, in a residential area near McLaughlin Road and Remembrance Road. Firefighters arrived to find the home heavily engulfed in flames. Two adults were pronounced dead at the scene. Police say three other adults and one child were transported to hospital with life-threatening injuries. Authorities have not released the ages of the victim
7-canadians-charged-in-u-s-drug-probe-linked-to-ex-olympian
CanadaNov 19, 2025

7 Canadians charged in U.S. drug probe linked to ex-Olympian

Seven Canadian residents have been taken into custody across three provinces as part of a United States investigation into an alleged international drug-trafficking network linked to former Team Canada athlete Ryan Wedding. RCMP Commissioner Michael Duheme joined senior U.S. justice officials in Washington to outline the cross-border charges, describing the arrests as part of an ongoing effort to curb organized crime operating between Canada, the U.S. and Latin America. Canadian authorities confirmed that arrests were made this week in Quebec, Ontario and Alberta following U.S. extradition req
canadas-emergency-alert-system-to-run-nationwide-test-today
CanadaNov 19, 2025

Canada’s emergency alert system to run nationwide test today

Canada’s Alert Ready system will issue a routine public test today, with messages scheduled to appear on television, radio and compatible mobile devices from late morning through early afternoon. The test is being coordinated by federal, provincial and territorial emergency officials to confirm that the national alerting infrastructure remains reliable. Officials say the semi-annual tests, held each May and November, allow emergency management teams to practise issuing alerts for situations such as severe weather, wildfires and Amber Alerts. In Western Canada, where communities in British Co
canada-post-outlines-plan-to-reduce-workforce-through-attrition-as-financial-losses-deepen
CanadaNov 19, 2025

Canada Post outlines plan to reduce workforce through attrition as financial losses deepen

Canada Post says it expects as many as 30,000 employees to retire or leave voluntarily by 2035 as the corporation moves to reduce its workforce and modernize its operations. The projection was shared at the Crown corporation’s annual meeting, where leaders described a decade of significant restructuring driven by declining mail volumes and growing financial pressures. President and CEO Doug Ettinger told attendees that the postal service will rely on attrition to downsize from the roughly 62,000 employees on staff at the end of last year. He said the approach is intended to manage change gra
joly-argues-canada-fell-short-on-industrial-gains-from-f-35-deal
CanadaNov 18, 2025

Joly argues Canada fell short on industrial gains from F-35 deal

Industry Minister Mélanie Joly said on Parliament Hill that Canada has not secured adequate economic returns from its contract to purchase U.S.-made F-35 stealth fighter jets. According to her, the government needs “more jobs created out of the F-35 contract.” Her remarks came as Swedish defence company Saab weighs establishing production in Canada to build its Gripen fighter jets — a proposal that could generate up to 10,000 Canadian jobs, Joly said. She added that Ottawa will carefully examine the offer. Canada has committed to buying 16 F-35A aircraft from Lockheed Martin as part of
report-warns-canada-risks-losing-skilled-newcomers-as-early-departures-persist
CanadaNov 18, 2025

Report warns Canada risks losing skilled newcomers as early departures persist

A new analysis from the Institute for Canadian Citizenship suggests Canada continues to face long-term challenges retaining the newcomers it admits each year. The study reports that roughly one in five immigrants leaves the country within 25 years of arrival, with most departures occurring during the first five years. The findings echo concerns raised in recent years by settlement agencies and provincial governments that have been working to improve support for newcomers. The annual “Leaky Bucket” report indicates that departures are most common among highly educated immigrants, including
swedish-royal-visit-begins-in-ottawa-as-canada-highlights-ties-with-nordic-partner
CanadaNov 18, 2025

Swedish royal visit begins in Ottawa as Canada highlights ties with Nordic partner

Sweden’s King Carl XVI Gustaf and Queen Silvia are in Ottawa today as they begin a three-day state visit that includes meetings with federal leaders, military commemorations, and discussions on international security. The visit is the royal couple’s first trip to Canada in nearly two decades and comes at a time when both countries are deepening co-operation through NATO and shared support for Ukraine. The King and Queen were formally welcomed at Rideau Hall this morning by a Canadian delegation that included Chief Justice Richard Wagner. Their program in the capital also features a wreath-
surrey-police-ask-for-public-help-to-find-missing-84-year-old-man
CanadaNov 17, 2025

Surrey police ask for public help to find missing 84-year-old man

Surrey Police Service is asking the public for help to locate 84-year-old Won Kil Kim, who has been missing since early Sunday morning. Police say he was last seen around 7 a.m. on November 16 in the 10300 block of 155A Street in northeast Surrey. Family members told officers Kim had planned to travel to a church in Burnaby before heading to the Grouse Mountain area for a hike, but investigators say it is not clear whether he reached either location. Police note that he may have been carrying two hiking poles, though his clothing is unknown. Kim is described as a Korean man, about five foot fi

Just In

18-year-old-shooting-suspect-turns-himself-in-to-burnaby-rcmp
BCAug 21, 2026

18-year-old shooting suspect turns himself in to Burnaby RCMP

A suspect wanted in connection with a December 2025 shooting in North Burnaby has turned himself in to authorities. Burnaby RCMP said officers responded on Dec. 19, 2025, to a report of a shooting near Phillips Avenue and Woodbrook Place. A man was found suffering from gunshot wounds and was taken to hospital for treatment. The RCMP’s Investigative Support Team took over the investigation. On Dec. 25, charges were laid and an arrest warrant was issued for 18-year-old Ronin Tajali. Tajali has since surrendered to police and remains in custody awaiting a bail hearing. Police thanked the public
leaders-condemn-nanaksar-gurdwara-attack-call-for-action-against-anti-sikh-hate
AlbertaAug 21, 2026

Leaders Condemn Nanaksar Gurdwara Attack, Call for Action Against Anti-Sikh Hate

Federal NDP MP for Edmonton Strathcona Heather McPherson, along with leaders from across the country, has strongly condemned the attack at Nanaksar Gurdwara Sahib and expressed solidarity with the Sikh community. They called for a full investigation into the incident, urging authorities to take the growing anti-Sikh hatred in Canada seriously and implement stronger measures to protect places of worship. McPherson said everyone has the right to practise their religion freely and that such violent attacks are unacceptable under any circumstances. Meanwhile, Surrey-Newton MP Sukh Dhaliwal express
poilievre-warns-accepting-u-s-tariffs-could-devastate-canadas-industrial-sector
BCAug 21, 2026

Poilievre Warns Accepting U.S. Tariffs Could Devastate Canada’s Industrial Sector

Conservative Party Leader Pierre Poilievre has lashed out at the Liberal government during ongoing Canada-U.S. trade talks in Washington, warning that accepting unilateral U.S. tariffs could devastate Canada’s industrial sector. Speaking to reporters in Kitchener, Ontario, Poilievre strongly criticized the proposed 25 per cent U.S. tariffs on steel and aluminum. He said that if Canada accepts such discriminatory terms, major Canadian businesses and factories could leave the country, causing long-term damage to the Canadian economy. Taking aim at Prime Minister Mark Carney, Poilievre said Car
AlbertaAug 21, 2026

Edmonton Nanaksar Gurdwara Stabbing Leaves Two Injured, Suspect Arrested

A stabbing incident at Nanaksar Gurdwara Sahib in Edmonton early Friday morning left two people injured. Police have arrested a suspect at the scene. According to police, the incident occurred at around 5:08 a.m. at the gurdwara located near 14 Street and Horsehills Road. The two injured individuals were treated at the scene, and their injuries were considered non-life-threatening. Police are questioning the arrested suspect, while officers continue their investigation in and around the gurdwara to ensure the safety of the congregation. Meanwhile, the World Sikh Organization of Canada said in
42-year-old-man-charged-in-immigration-fraud-case-arrest-warrant-issued
CanadaAug 21, 2026

42-Year-Old Man Charged in Immigration Fraud Case, Arrest Warrant Issued

The Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) has laid five charges against 42-year-old Abul Qasim for allegedly helping people enter Canada illegally and committing immigration fraud. An arrest warrant has also been issued for him. According to the CBSA, Qasim previously lived in Montreal but left Canada in June 2025 and is believed to be currently outside the country. The arrest warrant was issued after he failed to appear in response to a summons issued by a Montreal court. The CBSA began investigating the alleged scheme in 2024 after receiving confidential information from Immigration, Refugees