23.65°C Vancouver

News

air-canada-extends-suspension-of-dubai-tel-aviv-flights-into-january-2027
CanadaAug 10, 2026

Air Canada extends suspension of Dubai, Tel Aviv flights into January 2027

Air Canada has extended the suspension of flights to Dubai and Tel Aviv until January 2027, citing continued uncertainty in the Middle East. The airline had previously been expected to resume service to Dubai as part of its winter schedule, with flights to Tel Aviv also potentially returning around the same period. In its latest update, Air Canada said service to Dubai International Airport and Tel Aviv is not expected to resume before mid-January 2027. Affected passengers are being offered flexible booking options. Depending on the applicable terms, travellers can rebook for a later date or c
carney-on-private-vacation-in-italy-as-canada-u-s-trade-talks-reach-critical-stage
CanadaAug 10, 2026

Carney on private vacation in Italy as Canada-U.S. trade talks reach critical stage

Prime Minister Mark Carney is spending a week in Italy on a private vacation as Canada-U.S. trade negotiations face a critical stage and U.S. President Donald Trump has threatened to impose 50 per cent tariffs on Canadian goods starting Aug. 19. The Prime Minister’s Office said Carney will remain in Italy until Aug. 17 for private activities. The PMO said the trip received the required approval from the federal Ethics Commissioner in advance. The vacation comes as Canada and the United States continue discussions over trade, with Trump threatening additional tariffs on Canadian products. The
canadian-dairy-farmers-urge-ottawa-not-to-make-dairy-concessions-in-u-s-trade-talks
CanadaAug 07, 2026

Canadian dairy farmers urge Ottawa not to make dairy concessions in U.S. trade talks

Canadian dairy producers are urging the federal government not to offer any concessions on the dairy sector or Canada's supply management system as trade negotiations with the United States continue ahead of a key tariff deadline. In a statement, Dairy Farmers of Canada said the country's food sovereignty "is not for sale" and warned that any agreement weakening the dairy sector would not be in Canada's national interest. The organization said Canada has already made several concessions in recent months in an effort to advance discussions with the United States, but argued that the Trump admin
CanadaAug 07, 2026

Canada weighs trade concessions as it seeks relief from U.S. tariffs

The federal government is considering a series of trade concessions as it seeks relief from tariffs imposed by the Trump administration, according to sources familiar with the discussions. The measures under consideration reportedly include easing restrictions on the sale of U.S. liquor in some provinces, removing Canada's retaliatory tariffs on automobiles and expanding market access for U.S. dairy products. According to the sources, Prime Minister Mark Carney's government is attempting to demonstrate to the United States that Canada is committed to improving bilateral trade relations. One of
CanadaAug 07, 2026

CBSA spent nearly $1 million on private jets for deportation and detainee transfers, report says

Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) spent nearly $1 million over a two-year period chartering private aircraft to deport foreign nationals or transfer detainees within Canada, according to a report by The Globe and Mail citing internal CBSA documents. The report says the agency chartered a Dassault Falcon 900EX private jet in January 2022 to deport three individuals at a cost of approximately $438,000. According to the internal records reviewed by The Globe and Mail, the aircraft was used for a single removal operation. The documents also indicate that in September 2022, CBSA paid $130,432 to
canada-adds-75-000-jobs-in-july-as-unemployment-rate-falls-to-two-year-low
CanadaAug 07, 2026

Canada adds 75,000 jobs in July as unemployment rate falls to two-year low

Canada's economy added 75,000 jobs in July, bringing the national unemployment rate down to 6.4 per cent, according to Statistics Canada. The agency said the unemployment rate is now at its lowest level in two years. The latest Labour Force Survey marks the third consecutive monthly decline in unemployment. Since April, the jobless rate has fallen by 0.5 percentage points. The July employment gain also exceeded economists' expectations, with forecasts having called for approximately 15,000 new jobs. Statistics Canada reported that both full-time and part-time employment contributed almost equa
federal-government-restores-full-health-coverage-for-refugees-and-asylum-claimants
CanadaAug 06, 2026

Federal government restores full health coverage for refugees and asylum claimants

The federal government under Prime Minister Mark Carney has reversed recent cuts to health coverage for refugees and asylum claimants, restoring full benefits under the Interim Federal Health Program. New rules introduced on May 1, 2026 required eligible refugees to pay a $4 co-payment for prescription medications. The changes also required them to cover 30 per cent of the cost of supplemental services, including dental care, vision care, physiotherapy and mental health services. The policy drew criticism from frontline physicians, human rights organizations and community advocates, who argued
rcmp-warn-western-canada-trucking-businesses-about-credit-card-fraud-scheme
CanadaAug 06, 2026

RCMP warn Western Canada trucking businesses about credit card fraud scheme

The Saskatchewan RCMP is warning trucking and transportation-related businesses across Western Canada about a credit card fraud scheme targeting commercial suppliers. According to an RCMP news release, suspects are contacting businesses by phone and using fraudulent credit cards to purchase truck tires, engine oil, trailer parts and other high-value items. Police say the fraud typically begins with a phone order and payment by credit card. The initial transaction may appear as approved or pending, prompting businesses to ship the goods by courier. After the shipment is delivered, the credit ca
toronto-police-arrest-two-youths-in-second-shooting-at-u-s-consulate
CanadaAug 06, 2026

Toronto police arrest two youths in second shooting at U.S. Consulate

Toronto Police say they have arrested two youths in connection with the second recent shooting targeting the United States Consulate in Toronto, including one suspect who is 15 years old. Speaking at a news conference Thursday, Toronto Police Chief Myron Demkiw said the arrests relate to the July 27 shooting. The two suspects are facing multiple charges, including allegedly breaching court-ordered release conditions. Police have not released their identities because of legal restrictions, including provisions that protect the identity of young persons. According to Toronto Police, investigator

Just In

18-year-old-shooting-suspect-turns-himself-in-to-burnaby-rcmp
BCAug 21, 2026

18-year-old shooting suspect turns himself in to Burnaby RCMP

A suspect wanted in connection with a December 2025 shooting in North Burnaby has turned himself in to authorities. Burnaby RCMP said officers responded on Dec. 19, 2025, to a report of a shooting near Phillips Avenue and Woodbrook Place. A man was found suffering from gunshot wounds and was taken to hospital for treatment. The RCMP’s Investigative Support Team took over the investigation. On Dec. 25, charges were laid and an arrest warrant was issued for 18-year-old Ronin Tajali. Tajali has since surrendered to police and remains in custody awaiting a bail hearing. Police thanked the public
AlbertaAug 21, 2026

Leaders Condemn Nanaksar Gurdwara Attack, Call for Action Against Anti-Sikh Hate

Federal NDP MP for Edmonton Strathcona Heather McPherson, along with leaders from across the country, has strongly condemned the attack at Nanaksar Gurdwara Sahib and expressed solidarity with the Sikh community. They called for a full investigation into the incident, urging authorities to take the growing anti-Sikh hatred in Canada seriously and implement stronger measures to protect places of worship. McPherson said everyone has the right to practise their religion freely and that such violent attacks are unacceptable under any circumstances. Meanwhile, Surrey-Newton MP Sukh Dhaliwal express
poilievre-warns-accepting-u-s-tariffs-could-devastate-canadas-industrial-sector
BCAug 21, 2026

Poilievre Warns Accepting U.S. Tariffs Could Devastate Canada’s Industrial Sector

Conservative Party Leader Pierre Poilievre has lashed out at the Liberal government during ongoing Canada-U.S. trade talks in Washington, warning that accepting unilateral U.S. tariffs could devastate Canada’s industrial sector. Speaking to reporters in Kitchener, Ontario, Poilievre strongly criticized the proposed 25 per cent U.S. tariffs on steel and aluminum. He said that if Canada accepts such discriminatory terms, major Canadian businesses and factories could leave the country, causing long-term damage to the Canadian economy. Taking aim at Prime Minister Mark Carney, Poilievre said Car
AlbertaAug 21, 2026

Edmonton Nanaksar Gurdwara Stabbing Leaves Two Injured, Suspect Arrested

A stabbing incident at Nanaksar Gurdwara Sahib in Edmonton early Friday morning left two people injured. Police have arrested a suspect at the scene. According to police, the incident occurred at around 5:08 a.m. at the gurdwara located near 14 Street and Horsehills Road. The two injured individuals were treated at the scene, and their injuries were considered non-life-threatening. Police are questioning the arrested suspect, while officers continue their investigation in and around the gurdwara to ensure the safety of the congregation. Meanwhile, the World Sikh Organization of Canada said in
42-year-old-man-charged-in-immigration-fraud-case-arrest-warrant-issued
CanadaAug 21, 2026

42-Year-Old Man Charged in Immigration Fraud Case, Arrest Warrant Issued

The Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) has laid five charges against 42-year-old Abul Qasim for allegedly helping people enter Canada illegally and committing immigration fraud. An arrest warrant has also been issued for him. According to the CBSA, Qasim previously lived in Montreal but left Canada in June 2025 and is believed to be currently outside the country. The arrest warrant was issued after he failed to appear in response to a summons issued by a Montreal court. The CBSA began investigating the alleged scheme in 2024 after receiving confidential information from Immigration, Refugees