22.78°C Vancouver

News

carney-targets-new-trade-agreements-with-asean-india-and-other-asian-partners-by-year-end
CanadaJul 29, 2026

Carney targets new trade agreements with ASEAN, India and other Asian partners by year-end

Prime Minister Mark Carney says Canada aims to finalize new trade agreements with ASEAN member states, India, Thailand and the Philippines by the end of 2026, a move the federal government says would give Canadian businesses access to markets representing nearly three billion consumers. Speaking to reporters in Red Deer, Alta., Carney said the government intends to conclude free trade agreements with India and other key partners before the end of the year. According to the prime minister, the agreements are expected to create new opportunities for Canadian businesses in some of the Asia-Pacifi
westjet-flight-attendants-sign-operational-wind-down-agreement-as-aug-2-strike-deadline-approaches
CanadaJul 29, 2026

WestJet, flight attendants sign operational wind-down agreement as Aug. 2 strike deadline approaches

WestJet and the union representing approximately 4,400 flight attendants have signed an operational wind-down agreement outlining procedures to safely land aircraft and return cabin crew home in the event of a strike. Flight attendants could begin strike action as early as Aug. 2 if the two sides fail to reach a new collective agreement. A work stoppage could disrupt travel plans for thousands of passengers during the August long weekend. Under Canada's labour rules, the union must provide at least 72 hours' strike notice before any job action can begin. If notice is issued, some flight cancel
about-10-000-federal-public-servants-apply-for-early-retirement-program
CanadaJul 29, 2026

About 10,000 federal public servants apply for early retirement program

About 10,000 federal public servants have applied for the federal government's early retirement program, introduced as part of its plan to reduce the size of the public service. According to the Treasury Board of Canada Secretariat, 10,006 applications had been received as of Tuesday, following last week's application deadline. The program was offered to eligible employees after the government began sending information packages to about 68,000 public servants in December. Employees aged 50 and older with at least 10 years of federal employment and a minimum of two years of pensionable service
gordie-howe-international-bridge-sees-7-500-vehicle-crossings-in-first-12-hours
CanadaJul 29, 2026

Gordie Howe International Bridge sees 7,500 vehicle crossings in first 12 hours

Approximately 7,500 vehicles crossed the Gordie Howe International Bridge during the first 12 hours after the new Canada–U.S. border crossing opened to traffic, according to bridge officials. The bridge officially opened on Monday. The first private vehicle to cross carried members of hockey legend Gordie Howe's family, while an Onfreight Logistics truck became the first commercial vehicle to use the new crossing. Most of the traffic on opening day consisted of private and local vehicles. Officials said many commercial truck operators are still completing the required customs and border docu
CanadaJul 29, 2026

Navdeep Bains leads Ontario Liberal leadership race in fundraising

Former federal Industry Minister Navdeep Singh Bains has emerged as the top fundraiser in the Ontario Liberal Party leadership race, according to the latest financial disclosure reports from Elections Ontario. The filings show Bains' campaign has raised approximately $350,000 in donations, placing him ahead of Etobicoke–Lakeshore MPP Lee Fairclough, whose campaign has reported raising about $258,200. According to Elections Ontario, the fundraising advantage positions Bains as one of the leading contenders in the race to succeed the party's current leadership. Fundraising totals are widely vi
canada-expands-online-passport-renewal-service-to-all-eligible-adults
CanadaJul 28, 2026

Canada expands online passport renewal service to all eligible adults

Canada's Immigration Minister Lena Diab has announced the removal of limits on the federal government's online passport renewal service, making it available to all eligible Canadian adults aged 16 and older. Speaking at a news conference in Vancouver, Diab said eligible applicants living in Canada can now submit passport renewal applications online at any time without waiting for appointment availability. According to the federal government, the expanded digital service is intended to make passport renewals more accessible and reduce the need for in-person visits. Under the new system, applica
CanadaJul 28, 2026

Halton police charge nine people in largest human trafficking investigation in force history

Halton Regional Police say nine people have been arrested and 85 criminal charges have been laid following what the force describes as its largest sexual exploitation human trafficking investigation. According to Halton Regional Police, the investigation, called Project Troubadour, began after a woman reported being exploited by an organized network in September 2025. Police said the victim’s disclosure helped investigators identify the alleged trafficking operation operating in the Greater Toronto Area. Supt. Dave Costantini said the 10-month investigation has identified 12 alleged victims
CanadaJul 28, 2026

Court records show Etobicoke murder suspect was under no-contact order involving victim

Court records show the 37-year-old man charged with first-degree murder in the death of 26-year-old Navneet Kaur in Toronto's Etobicoke area was already subject to a court-ordered no-contact condition involving the victim before the fatal shooting. According to court records, Sharanjit Singh was arrested on July 17 last year on charges of criminal harassment and assault involving Navneet Kaur. He was released the following day under strict bail conditions that prohibited him from contacting her directly or indirectly and from attending her residence or workplace. Toronto Police have described
canadas-trade-minister-to-visit-washington-for-key-meetings-amid-ongoing-trade-tensions
CanadaJul 28, 2026

Canada's trade minister to visit Washington for key meetings amid ongoing trade tensions

Canada's Minister of International Trade, Dominic LeBlanc, will travel to Washington, D.C., this week for a series of meetings focused on Canada–U.S. trade relations, according to a spokesperson for his office. Canada's chief trade negotiator to the United States, Janice Charette, will accompany him. The visit comes as trade tensions between Canada and the United States continue after nearly 18 months of disputes. Last week, U.S. President Donald Trump threatened to impose new tariffs on Canadian goods. Following a phone call with Trump, Prime Minister Mark Carney said the two leaders agreed

Just In

b-c-conservative-leader-attacks-eby-government-over-forestry-decline
BCAug 18, 2026

B.C. Conservative Leader Attacks Eby Government Over Forestry Decline

B.C. Conservative Party Leader John Rustad has accused Premier David Eby of blaming U.S. President Donald Trump’s tariffs for the province’s forestry-sector decline in an attempt to hide his government’s own failures. In a statement Tuesday, Rustad said U.S. tariffs are harmful and should be strongly opposed. However, he said forestry production in B.C.’s Interior began declining as early as 2016, long before Trump returned to office, and has now fallen by about 50 per cent. According to Rustad, poor provincial policies, permit processes that can take two to three years, and uncertaint
trumps-presidency-delays-quebec-sovereignty-referendum-says-parti-québécois
CanadaAug 18, 2026

Trump’s Presidency Delays Quebec Sovereignty Referendum, Says Parti Québécois

Parti Québécois leader Paul St-Pierre Plamondon says his party would not hold a referendum on Quebec sovereignty while Donald Trump remains president of the United States. St-Pierre Plamondon says the party still intends to hold a referendum on whether Quebec should separate from Canada during its first mandate if elected. However, he says such a crucial decision about Quebec’s future requires a clear and calm debate. He says the referendum debate should not be disrupted by American politics or unexpected announcements from the U.S. president. According to St-Pierre Plamondon, the unpredic
AlbertaAug 18, 2026

Sentencing Arguments Begin for Man Convicted of Sexually Assaulting Three Women

Sentencing arguments begin today for 62-year-old Richard Mantha, who was convicted of sexually assaulting three vulnerable women and drugging one of them. Mantha was found guilty of six offences following a trial that lasted more than two years. The full day has been set aside for the Crown and defence to present their arguments on what sentence he should receive. He was convicted of two counts of sexual assault, as well as choking while committing a sexual assault and administering a noxious substance. Mantha was also found guilty of assault with a weapon and uttering threats against a fourth
BCAug 18, 2026

Goldstream Falls swimming incident: 27-year-old man dies

A 27-year-old man has died after getting into distress while swimming near Goldstream Falls in Goldstream Provincial Park on Monday evening. West Shore RCMP said officers responded to the incident at around 7:35 p.m. on August 17. The man reportedly went underwater while swimming near the waterfall and did not resurface. Bystanders pulled him from the water and immediately began life-saving measures. Police, BC Emergency Health Services and Langford Fire Department later arrived and continued the emergency response. The man was taken to hospital for further treatment but later succumbed to his
poilievre-attacks-carney-government-over-ev-mandate
BCAug 18, 2026

Poilievre Attacks Carney Government Over EV Mandate

Canada’s main opposition leader, Pierre Poilievre, has launched a strong attack on Prime Minister Mark Carney’s government over its electric vehicle policy. Poilievre alleges that while the government is moving to scrap the existing EV sales mandate, it is planning to bring back a similar requirement through the “back door” using tougher emissions standards. According to a notice published in the Canada Gazette, the government has recently started the process of repealing the previous EV Sales Mandate, which required 20 per cent of new vehicles sold in 2026 to be electric. Reacting to