21.46°C Vancouver

News

health-canada-recalls-lg-electric-stoves-due-to-fire-hazard-with-front-knobs
CanadaFeb 27, 2025

Health Canada Recalls LG Electric Stoves Due to Fire Hazard with Front Knobs

Health Canada has issued a recall for several LG free-standing electric stoves due to an issue with their front knobs. The agency reports that there have been incidents of fires caused by the knobs accidentally being activated. The recall advisory from Health Canada warns that the knobs could be triggered if they are accidentally touched by a person or pet, presenting a fire hazard. As of February 12, Health Canada said the company had received eight reports of such incidents in Canada, along with two reports of injuries, including one minor cut and one minor burn. According to Health Canada,
measles-cases-on-the-rise-in-canada-with-95-reported-so-far-this-year
CanadaFeb 27, 2025

Measles Cases on the Rise in Canada, With 95 Reported So Far This Year

Measles is making a concerning return to Canada this year. According to the latest data from the Public Health Agency of Canada, as of February 21, 95 cases of measles have been reported. British Columbia, Manitoba, Ontario, and Quebec are the provinces most affected by the outbreak. By this time last year, only four cases had been reported, and a total of 146 cases were recorded throughout 2024. Dr. Isaac Bogoch, an infectious disease specialist at Toronto General Hospital, noted that in Ontario, the number of measles cases in February is already nearly as high as the total number recorded i
mp-angus-calls-for-amazon-boycott-after-company-closes-seven-quebec-warehouses
CanadaFeb 27, 2025

MP Angus calls for Amazon boycott after company closes seven Quebec warehouses

New Democrat MP Charlie Angus is calling for a countrywide consumer boycott of Amazon to protest the online retail giant's closure of seven of its warehouses in Quebec. The closures have eliminated thousands of permanent full-time jobs, along with jobs at subcontracted suppliers. Angus and union officials — including Félix Trudeau, union president for the Laval, Que., Amazon warehouse — say Amazon should pay proper severance to those laid off. They also say the federal government should cancel all contracts with billionaire Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos and force his company to pay back any feder
president-donald-trump-targets-canada-once-again
CanadaFeb 27, 2025

President Donald Trump Targets Canada Once Again

US President Donald Trump has once again made controversial remarks about Canada. During a conversation with reporters last evening, he expressed his affection for Canada and its people but stated that it is not right for the US to support Canada. He suggested that without US support, Canada would not exist as a country. Trump claimed that the US provides Canada with a subsidy of $200 billion every year, suggesting that Canada would struggle to function without it. He also reiterated his idea of making Canada the 51st state. However, Canadian experts have refuted these claims, pointing out th
manitoba-becomes-first-province-to-join-national-pharmacare-program-with-219m-deal
CanadaFeb 27, 2025

Manitoba becomes first province to join national pharmacare program with $219M deal

Manitoba became the first province to officially join Ottawa's pharmacare program today, giving it access to federal funding to cover the cost of birth control and diabetes medications. Health Minister Mark Holland made the announcement in Winnipeg this morning. The federal government will spend $219 million on pharmacare coverage for Manitoba over four years and says contraceptives and diabetes medications will be provided "at little to no direct cost" to Manitobans. The Manitoba government launched a program last fall to cover the cost of birth control for its residents. The federal Pharmaca
police-forces-gear-up-to-protect-3-400-people-in-alberta-wilderness-at-june-g7-summit
CanadaFeb 27, 2025

Police forces gear up to protect 3,400 people in Alberta wilderness at June G7 summit

Police forces say they are gearing up to find a way to keep more than 3,400 people safe alongside the Rocky Mountains during this summer's G7 Summit in Kananaskis, Alta. A report to the Calgary Police Commission says police expect about 70 official guests, 2,000 delegates and 1,400 journalists will be in the area between Calgary and Kananaskis for the summit. Police forces from across Canada will support security efforts, including authorities from Edmonton, Winnipeg and Vancouver. The RCMP says teams will be on the alert for modern security threats such as drones along with the f
trump-says-tariffs-on-canada-mexico-still-landing-next-week
CanadaFeb 27, 2025

Trump says tariffs on Canada, Mexico still landing next week

U.S. President Donald Trump says economy-wide tariffs on Canada and Mexico will go ahead next week as planned. Trump's comments on Truth Social today come after days of confusing statements from him and his officials. On Wednesday, Trump suggested that the 25 per cent across-the-board tariffs wouldn't land until April 2 — but a White House official later said they could still take effect on March 4. In his post this morning, Trump says "drugs are still pouring" in from Canada and Mexico and unless it is "stopped or seriously limited," the tariffs will go into effect "on MARCH FOURTH." Public
ndp-leader-jagmeet-singh-calls-for-trumps-ban-from-upcoming-g7-summit
CanadaFeb 26, 2025

NDP Leader Jagmeet Singh Calls for Trump’s Ban from Upcoming G7 Summit

NDP Leader Jagmeet Singh has called for US President Donald Trump to be banned from attending the upcoming G7 summit in Canada. Singh criticized Trump, questioning why Canada should invite someone who poses a threat to the country’s sovereignty, economic prosperity, and global stability. He also raised concerns about allowing a convicted criminal to enter Canada. Singh made these comments during an event at the Montreal Council on Foreign Relations in Quebec. It is important to note that Canada is set to host the G7 summit in Kananaskis, Alberta, from June 15 to 17.
alberta-man-spearheads-parliamentary-petition-to-keep-trump-out-of-canada
CanadaFeb 26, 2025

Alberta man spearheads parliamentary petition to keep Trump out of Canada

More than 28,000 people have signed a parliamentary petition urging Ottawa to bar U.S. President Donald Trump from Canada for persistently threatening the country's sovereignty. Alberta resident Gerard Aldridge, who recently initiated the electronic petition, says he's a fiercely proud Canadian who sees an opportunity to make a difference on an issue of grave concern. Trump has threatened to impose widespread tariffs on Canadian products and has openly suggested that Canada become a U.S. state. The president usually attends the annual gathering of G7 leaders, which is being held this June in K

Just In

18-year-old-shooting-suspect-turns-himself-in-to-burnaby-rcmp
BCAug 21, 2026

18-year-old shooting suspect turns himself in to Burnaby RCMP

A suspect wanted in connection with a December 2025 shooting in North Burnaby has turned himself in to authorities. Burnaby RCMP said officers responded on Dec. 19, 2025, to a report of a shooting near Phillips Avenue and Woodbrook Place. A man was found suffering from gunshot wounds and was taken to hospital for treatment. The RCMP’s Investigative Support Team took over the investigation. On Dec. 25, charges were laid and an arrest warrant was issued for 18-year-old Ronin Tajali. Tajali has since surrendered to police and remains in custody awaiting a bail hearing. Police thanked the public
leaders-condemn-nanaksar-gurdwara-attack-call-for-action-against-anti-sikh-hate
AlbertaAug 21, 2026

Leaders Condemn Nanaksar Gurdwara Attack, Call for Action Against Anti-Sikh Hate

Federal NDP MP for Edmonton Strathcona Heather McPherson, along with leaders from across the country, has strongly condemned the attack at Nanaksar Gurdwara Sahib and expressed solidarity with the Sikh community. They called for a full investigation into the incident, urging authorities to take the growing anti-Sikh hatred in Canada seriously and implement stronger measures to protect places of worship. McPherson said everyone has the right to practise their religion freely and that such violent attacks are unacceptable under any circumstances. Meanwhile, Surrey-Newton MP Sukh Dhaliwal express
poilievre-warns-accepting-u-s-tariffs-could-devastate-canadas-industrial-sector
BCAug 21, 2026

Poilievre Warns Accepting U.S. Tariffs Could Devastate Canada’s Industrial Sector

Conservative Party Leader Pierre Poilievre has lashed out at the Liberal government during ongoing Canada-U.S. trade talks in Washington, warning that accepting unilateral U.S. tariffs could devastate Canada’s industrial sector. Speaking to reporters in Kitchener, Ontario, Poilievre strongly criticized the proposed 25 per cent U.S. tariffs on steel and aluminum. He said that if Canada accepts such discriminatory terms, major Canadian businesses and factories could leave the country, causing long-term damage to the Canadian economy. Taking aim at Prime Minister Mark Carney, Poilievre said Car
AlbertaAug 21, 2026

Edmonton Nanaksar Gurdwara Stabbing Leaves Two Injured, Suspect Arrested

A stabbing incident at Nanaksar Gurdwara Sahib in Edmonton early Friday morning left two people injured. Police have arrested a suspect at the scene. According to police, the incident occurred at around 5:08 a.m. at the gurdwara located near 14 Street and Horsehills Road. The two injured individuals were treated at the scene, and their injuries were considered non-life-threatening. Police are questioning the arrested suspect, while officers continue their investigation in and around the gurdwara to ensure the safety of the congregation. Meanwhile, the World Sikh Organization of Canada said in
42-year-old-man-charged-in-immigration-fraud-case-arrest-warrant-issued
CanadaAug 21, 2026

42-Year-Old Man Charged in Immigration Fraud Case, Arrest Warrant Issued

The Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) has laid five charges against 42-year-old Abul Qasim for allegedly helping people enter Canada illegally and committing immigration fraud. An arrest warrant has also been issued for him. According to the CBSA, Qasim previously lived in Montreal but left Canada in June 2025 and is believed to be currently outside the country. The arrest warrant was issued after he failed to appear in response to a summons issued by a Montreal court. The CBSA began investigating the alleged scheme in 2024 after receiving confidential information from Immigration, Refugees