16.65°C Vancouver

Sep 23, 2024 2:14 PM - The Canadian Press

City of Calgary lifts all water restrictions

Share On
city-of-calgary-lifts-all-water-restrictions
Calgary lifts water restrictions following repairs to feeder main. (Photo: The Canadian Press)

Calgary lifts water restrictions that lasted much of the summer following successful repairs to a major feeder main.

Mayor Jyoti Gondek told in a news conference Sunday morning that the Bearspaw South feeder main is now open and back in service for the Calgary region. Since late August, there has been a ban on any outdoor water use with potable supplies, and Calgarians have been urged to take shorter showers, skip toilet flushes and hold off on laundry and dishes. It was the second round of water rationing since the feeder main in northwest Calgary burst in early June.

Most restrictions had been eased after initial repairs, but in early August the city announced the more than 10-kilometre line would have to be taken out of service again to fix several trouble spots, and residents were told once more they would have to cut water consumption. The city is asking residents to ease into normal water use over the next few days to help even out any spikes in demand, which it says will be easier on the system.

Latest news

canadas-inflation-rate-rises-to-3-per-cent-in-july
CanadaAug 17, 2026

Canada’s inflation rate rises to 3 per cent in July

Canada’s annual inflation rate rose to 3 per cent in July, up from 2.8 per cent in June, according to Statistics Canada. The agency said the increase was driven largely by higher gasoline prices. Gasoline prices were 26 per cent higher in July than a year earlier, compared with a 21 per cent annual increase in June. Excluding gasoline prices, consumer inflation was 2.2 per cent in July, Statistics Canada reported. Grocery price growth also slowed, with food purchased from grocery stores rising 3.1 per cent year over year, down from 3.9 per cent in June. Despite the slowdown, Statistics Canad
two-homes-damaged-by-fire-in-port-coquitlam-about-12-people-displaced
BCAug 17, 2026

Two homes damaged by fire in Port Coquitlam, about 12 people displaced

About 12 people were displaced after a fire damaged two adjoining homes on the 1900 block of Langan Avenue in Port Coquitlam on Sunday morning. Port Coquitlam Fire and Emergency Services sent more than 20 firefighters and an aerial ladder truck to the scene. Deputy Fire Chief Jason Marshall said crews arrived at about 10 a.m. to find both homes involved in the fire. One firefighter was injured while crews worked to contain the blaze. According to officials, the firefighter was treated at the scene before being taken to hospital. The injuries were not considered life-threatening. Both homes sus
CanadaAug 17, 2026

Woman dies after entering Lake Ontario at Mississauga park

A woman has died after being swept into Lake Ontario at Jack Darling Memorial Park in Mississauga on Saturday night. According to Peel Regional Police, the incident happened at about 10:30 p.m. The woman was near the lake when she entered the water. Police have not confirmed the circumstances that led to her going into the lake. Emergency crews launched a search operation after the incident was reported. Police said the woman was pulled from the water at about 11:15 p.m., roughly 45 minutes after the search began. Paramedics took her to hospital in critical condition, where she later died desp
CanadaAug 17, 2026

Canada-U.S. trade talks enter critical stage as tariff differences remain

Canada and the United States have entered a critical stage in trade negotiations this week as Ottawa works to avoid new 50 per cent tariffs proposed by U.S. President Donald Trump. Canada-U.S. Trade Minister Dominic LeBlanc held a virtual meeting over the weekend with U.S. Trade Representative Jamieson Greer. Canada’s chief trade negotiator, Jannis Charette, also took part. LeBlanc remained in Washington on Monday, although no additional meetings were scheduled. According to sources, negotiations remain stalled over tariffs on lumber and automobiles. U.S. negotiators have refused to reduce t
peter-milobar-announces-departure-from-b-c-conservative-caucus
BCAug 14, 2026

Peter Milobar Announces Departure from B.C. Conservative Caucus

Senior B.C. Conservative MLA Peter Milobar has formally announced that he is leaving the party caucus, effective immediately. He will now sit as an independent MLA for Kamloops Centre in the B.C. legislature. Milobar said that over the past several months, it had become increasingly clear to him that his personal values no longer aligned with the party’s new direction under Leader Kami-Leon Findlay. He said he fully respects Findlay’s right to shape the party according to her vision, but stressed that his top priority remains serving the people of Kamloops Centre, a commitment that has not

Related News