16.44°C Vancouver

News

emergency-crews-drafting-plans-to-welcome-home-residents-forced-out-by-wildfire
CanadaMay 13, 2025

Emergency crews drafting plans to welcome home residents forced out by wildfire

Emergency crews responding to an out-of-control wildfire north of Edmonton say they are getting plans ready for residents to return home. Officials from Sturgeon County have said the more than 32-square-kilometre blaze started earlier this month when an all-terrain vehicle caught fire after an apparent electrical or mechanical failure. Dozens of homes were evacuated, and the county says responders are preparing to let residents return as soon as they deem the situation safe enough to do so. Until then, residents and the general public are being reminded to stay away from the evacuati
statistics-canada-says-canadian-resident-return-trips-from-u-s-down-again-in-april
CanadaMay 12, 2025

Statistics Canada says Canadian-resident return trips from U.S. down again in April

Statistics Canada says preliminary figures for April continue to point to a sharp drop in return trips from the United States by Canadian residents. The agency says the number of Canadian-residents returning by automobile from the United States in April fell on a year-over-year basis for the fourth consecutive month as it dropped 35.2 per cent to 1.2 million. Canadians have cancelled trips to the U.S. in the wake of U.S. President Donald Trump's tariffs on Canadian goods and his desire for Canada to become the 51st state. Canadian-residents returning by air from the United States in April tota
cross-examination-continues-for-complainant-in-hockey-players-sex-assault-trial
CanadaMay 12, 2025

Cross-examination continues for complainant in hockey players' sex assault trial

Defence lawyers in the sexual assault trial of five former members of Canada's world junior hockey team are expected to continue cross-examining the complainant today. The woman, who cannot be identified under a publication ban, first took the stand on May 2 and spent most of last week facing questions from the defence. On Friday, she pushed back against a defence suggestion that she was embarrassed and ashamed for the choices she'd made the night of the alleged incident. She said she made the choice to drink and dance at the London, Ont., bar where she first met some of the accused, not to "h
liberals-win-quebec-riding-by-one-vote-in-recount
CanadaMay 12, 2025

Liberals win Quebec riding by one vote in recount

With more recounts still to come, the Liberals are another seat closer to a majority government after a judicial recount saw them narrowly win the Quebec riding of Terrebonne. A judicial recount of the riding north of Montreal saw the Liberals win the the riding by one vote and now gives them 170 seats in Parliament. The announcement comes as more recounts are underway, including two in Ontario. One of those ridings is Windsor-Tecumseh-Lakeshore, where a judicial recount was granted after incumbent Liberal Irek Kusmierczyk argued several ballots were "wrongly rejected" after validation showed
canadas-unemployment-rate-hits-6-9-as-tariffs-hit-manufacturing-sector
CanadaMay 09, 2025

Canada's unemployment rate hits 6.9% as tariffs hit manufacturing sector

Canada's unemployment rate has hit 6.9% as tariffs hit manufacturing sector. That's the highest unemployment rate in 8 years excluding COVID. April is the third consecutive month that the Canadian economy has seen either little change in employment or job losses. It's also the first month that the impact of tariffs on auto, steel, aluminum and other sectors has been more pronounced. According to Statistics Canada, the manufacturing sector lost 31,000 jobs last month, the biggest decline since January 2009, excluding the 2020 COVID crisis. According to the Statistics Department, the econom
canadas-first-mini-nuclear-power-plant-to-be-built-in-ontario
CanadaMay 09, 2025

Canada's first mini nuclear power plant to be built in Ontario

Canada's first mini nuclear power plant is to be built in Ontario. Premier Doug Ford's government has given the green light to the province's Power Generation to start this plant. This small modular reactor will generate 300 megawatts of electricity, which can power about 300,000 homes. The plant will be the first of four small modular reactors that Ontario Power Generation wants to install, which will cost $20.9 billion. The aim is to meet the demand for a huge increase in electricity demand. The estimated cost of installing the first mini nuclear power plant is said to be $7.7 billion. O
some-rural-residents-north-of-edmonton-can-return-home-after-wildfire-threat
CanadaMay 09, 2025

Some rural residents north of Edmonton can return home after wildfire threat

Residents from a rural area north of Edmonton who fled an active wildfire this week can now return to their homes. A social media post from Athabasca County says evacuation orders were lifted for the Village of Boyle and some nearby parts of the county. People living on Highway 831 south of Boyle are still under evacuation orders and are not to return at this time as the wildfire is still burning, but is being held. Some residents of Thorhild County, about 90 kilometres northeast of Edmonton, can also return home, but are to stay prepared to leave within a moment's notice if condi
missing-youths-found-in-leduc-man-charged-with-sexual-assault-and-child-luring
CanadaMay 09, 2025

Missing youths found in Leduc, man charged with sexual assault and child luring

Sex charges have been laid after two youths were reported missing from a town east of Edmonton and later found in the company of a man. Police say the two youths were reported missing from the Two Hills area on Tuesday and located in Leduc, south of Edmonton. A 40-year-old man from Two Hills was arrested and faces charges that include two counts each of sexual interference, sexual assault and possession of child pornography, and three counts of child luring.
city-of-surrey-b-c-says-it-lost-2-5-million-in-irregular-transactions
BCMay 09, 2025

City of Surrey, B.C., says it lost $2.5 million in 'irregular transactions'

The City of Surrey says it filed a civil lawsuit against a former employee, looking to recover $2.5 million worth of ``irregular transactions.'' A statement from city manager Rob Costanzo Thursday says the lawsuit was filed last year after staff identified problems dating back to 2017 involving dormant development-deposit accounts. Costanzo says staff first spotted irregularities in early 2024 and the city conducted an internal review, engaged external forensic specialists, and reported the situation to the RCMP. He says police are conducting a criminal investigation and the cit

Just In

b-c-conservative-leader-attacks-eby-government-over-forestry-decline
BCAug 18, 2026

B.C. Conservative Leader Attacks Eby Government Over Forestry Decline

B.C. Conservative Party Leader John Rustad has accused Premier David Eby of blaming U.S. President Donald Trump’s tariffs for the province’s forestry-sector decline in an attempt to hide his government’s own failures. In a statement Tuesday, Rustad said U.S. tariffs are harmful and should be strongly opposed. However, he said forestry production in B.C.’s Interior began declining as early as 2016, long before Trump returned to office, and has now fallen by about 50 per cent. According to Rustad, poor provincial policies, permit processes that can take two to three years, and uncertaint
trumps-presidency-delays-quebec-sovereignty-referendum-says-parti-québécois
CanadaAug 18, 2026

Trump’s Presidency Delays Quebec Sovereignty Referendum, Says Parti Québécois

Parti Québécois leader Paul St-Pierre Plamondon says his party would not hold a referendum on Quebec sovereignty while Donald Trump remains president of the United States. St-Pierre Plamondon says the party still intends to hold a referendum on whether Quebec should separate from Canada during its first mandate if elected. However, he says such a crucial decision about Quebec’s future requires a clear and calm debate. He says the referendum debate should not be disrupted by American politics or unexpected announcements from the U.S. president. According to St-Pierre Plamondon, the unpredic
AlbertaAug 18, 2026

Sentencing Arguments Begin for Man Convicted of Sexually Assaulting Three Women

Sentencing arguments begin today for 62-year-old Richard Mantha, who was convicted of sexually assaulting three vulnerable women and drugging one of them. Mantha was found guilty of six offences following a trial that lasted more than two years. The full day has been set aside for the Crown and defence to present their arguments on what sentence he should receive. He was convicted of two counts of sexual assault, as well as choking while committing a sexual assault and administering a noxious substance. Mantha was also found guilty of assault with a weapon and uttering threats against a fourth
BCAug 18, 2026

Goldstream Falls swimming incident: 27-year-old man dies

A 27-year-old man has died after getting into distress while swimming near Goldstream Falls in Goldstream Provincial Park on Monday evening. West Shore RCMP said officers responded to the incident at around 7:35 p.m. on August 17. The man reportedly went underwater while swimming near the waterfall and did not resurface. Bystanders pulled him from the water and immediately began life-saving measures. Police, BC Emergency Health Services and Langford Fire Department later arrived and continued the emergency response. The man was taken to hospital for further treatment but later succumbed to his
poilievre-attacks-carney-government-over-ev-mandate
BCAug 18, 2026

Poilievre Attacks Carney Government Over EV Mandate

Canada’s main opposition leader, Pierre Poilievre, has launched a strong attack on Prime Minister Mark Carney’s government over its electric vehicle policy. Poilievre alleges that while the government is moving to scrap the existing EV sales mandate, it is planning to bring back a similar requirement through the “back door” using tougher emissions standards. According to a notice published in the Canada Gazette, the government has recently started the process of repealing the previous EV Sales Mandate, which required 20 per cent of new vehicles sold in 2026 to be electric. Reacting to