19.42°C Vancouver

News

BCJan 16, 2026

IHIT investigates homicide at Abbotsford hotel; 26-year-old charged

The Integrated Homicide Investigation Team (IHIT) is investigating a homicide after Abbotsford Police responded to a report of suspicious circumstances at a hotel in Abbotsford. IHIT said Abbotsford Police Department patrol officers were called at about 11:42 a.m. to a hotel in the 32100 block of Marshall Road. Police located a deceased person inside a hotel room and secured the scene. Investigators said evidence obtained at the scene confirmed the incident as a homicide and one man was arrested. IHIT said the incident was isolated and there is no ongoing risk to the public. IHIT said the homi
prince-george-rcmp-arrest-teen-in-2024-fentanyl-related-youth-death
BCJan 15, 2026

Prince George RCMP Arrest Teen in 2024 Fentanyl-Related Youth Death

Prince George RCMP’s Serious Crime Unit has arrested a 17-year-old in connection with a 2024 fentanyl-related overdose that claimed the life of a 16-year-old. Police were first called to a home in the College Heights neighbourhood after a youth was found unconscious. The teenager was transported to hospital, where they later died. Toxicology results confirmed high levels of fentanyl in the youth’s system. Following an investigation, the B.C. Prosecution Service approved a manslaughter charge. On January 13, 2026, officers executed an arrest warrant, and the accused was brought to court and
nanaimo-man-faces-multiple-charges-after-downtown-coffee-shop-incident
BCJan 15, 2026

Nanaimo man faces multiple charges after downtown coffee shop incident

Nanaimo RCMP say a local man is facing several criminal charges following an incident at a downtown coffee shop earlier this week. Police were called around noon on January 13 to a business at 8–90 Front Street after a confrontation between a customer and the store manager. The situation escalated, resulting in an assault and damage to property, according to RCMP. The following day, the BC Prosecution Service approved five charges against 40-year-old Aiden Tye of Nanaimo. He faces charges of assault, assault with a weapon, mischief, committing an indecent act in public, and exposure of an in
headline-b-c-to-end-drug-decriminalization-pilot-as-province-shifts-focus-to-treatment-and-recovery
BCJan 15, 2026

B.C. to end drug decriminalization pilot as province shifts focus to treatment and recovery

British Columbia will allow its three-year drug decriminalization pilot project to expire at the end of this month, with the provincial government confirming it will not seek an extension from Health Canada. Health Minister Josie Osborne said the pilot, which was launched to encourage people to seek help without fear of criminal penalties, did not produce the outcomes the province had hoped for. The exemption from the federal Controlled Drugs and Substances Act is scheduled to end on Jan. 31. The decriminalization initiative began in January 2023 and permitted adults to possess up to 2.5 grams
overpass-strike-causes-lane-closure-and-delays-on-highway-1-in-surrey
BCJan 14, 2026

Overpass strike causes lane closure and delays on Highway 1 in Surrey

An overpass strike involving a commercial truck has partially shut down Highway 1 eastbound in Surrey, prompting an investigation by BC Highway Patrol and traffic delays for commuters. Police say the collision occurred near the 192 Street overpass when a flatdeck truck towing an excavator struck the structure, causing visible damage. The eastbound right lane of Highway 1 was closed immediately as a precaution while safety assessments began. BC Highway Patrol was called to the scene shortly before 9:30 a.m. after motorists reported witnessing the incident. Officers are now working with Commerci
BCJan 14, 2026

Vancouver man charged after alleged assault on fast-food worker over unpaid add-on

A Vancouver man is facing a criminal charge after police say a dispute over a burger order escalated into a violent assault at a downtown fast-food restaurant. According to Vancouver police, the incident happened around 7:05 p.m. on January 12 at a restaurant on Granville Street. Investigators allege a customer demanded free bacon on his burger and became aggressive when told he would have to pay for the extra item. Police say the suspect went behind the counter and into the kitchen area, where he allegedly punched a 23-year-old cook in the face. The worker suffered a serious facial injury and
search-underway-for-missing-surrey-teen
BCJan 14, 2026

Search Underway for Missing Surrey Teen

Authorities are asking for public help in locating a missing 16-year-old boy from Surrey. Chetan Binning has not been seen since yesterday. He is approximately 5 feet 10 inches tall, with curly hair and a distinctive mark under his right eye. Chetan was last spotted around 4:30 p.m. in the Sullivan Heights area of Surrey. Police are urging anyone with information about his whereabouts to contact them immediately at 604-719-4442. A photo of Chetan Binning is available on the Connect FM website to assist with identification. Officials continue to search the area and appeal to the community for a
BCJan 14, 2026

Kelowna driver arrested after police allege drug-impaired driving on Harvey Avenue

A Kelowna man is facing potential criminal charges after BC Highway Patrol officers allege he was driving while impaired by drugs on one of the city’s busiest roads. Police say the incident happened just after 10:30 a.m. on Harvey Avenue, when an officer in an unmarked patrol vehicle was passed by a driver who appeared to have a glass pipe in his mouth. The vehicle was stopped a short time later. According to BC Highway Patrol, the 56-year-old driver told officers he was “only” smoking marihuana. Corporal Michael McLaughlin said any form of drug impairment, including cannabis, is illegal
BCJan 13, 2026

School bus crash in western Manitoba sends several children to hospital

Several children were taken to hospital after a school bus left a highway in western Manitoba on Tuesday morning, according to RCMP. Police say the bus rolled off the road south of Mafeking, near the community of Swan River, roughly 550 kilometres northwest of Winnipeg. Emergency crews responded to the scene shortly after the crash was reported. RCMP confirmed that four people on board the bus suffered significant but non-life-threatening injuries and were transported to hospital for treatment. Other passengers were assessed at the scene and were also taken to hospital as a precaution. The cau

Just In

18-year-old-shooting-suspect-turns-himself-in-to-burnaby-rcmp
BCAug 21, 2026

18-year-old shooting suspect turns himself in to Burnaby RCMP

A suspect wanted in connection with a December 2025 shooting in North Burnaby has turned himself in to authorities. Burnaby RCMP said officers responded on Dec. 19, 2025, to a report of a shooting near Phillips Avenue and Woodbrook Place. A man was found suffering from gunshot wounds and was taken to hospital for treatment. The RCMP’s Investigative Support Team took over the investigation. On Dec. 25, charges were laid and an arrest warrant was issued for 18-year-old Ronin Tajali. Tajali has since surrendered to police and remains in custody awaiting a bail hearing. Police thanked the public
leaders-condemn-nanaksar-gurdwara-attack-call-for-action-against-anti-sikh-hate
AlbertaAug 21, 2026

Leaders Condemn Nanaksar Gurdwara Attack, Call for Action Against Anti-Sikh Hate

Federal NDP MP for Edmonton Strathcona Heather McPherson, along with leaders from across the country, has strongly condemned the attack at Nanaksar Gurdwara Sahib and expressed solidarity with the Sikh community. They called for a full investigation into the incident, urging authorities to take the growing anti-Sikh hatred in Canada seriously and implement stronger measures to protect places of worship. McPherson said everyone has the right to practise their religion freely and that such violent attacks are unacceptable under any circumstances. Meanwhile, Surrey-Newton MP Sukh Dhaliwal express
poilievre-warns-accepting-u-s-tariffs-could-devastate-canadas-industrial-sector
BCAug 21, 2026

Poilievre Warns Accepting U.S. Tariffs Could Devastate Canada’s Industrial Sector

Conservative Party Leader Pierre Poilievre has lashed out at the Liberal government during ongoing Canada-U.S. trade talks in Washington, warning that accepting unilateral U.S. tariffs could devastate Canada’s industrial sector. Speaking to reporters in Kitchener, Ontario, Poilievre strongly criticized the proposed 25 per cent U.S. tariffs on steel and aluminum. He said that if Canada accepts such discriminatory terms, major Canadian businesses and factories could leave the country, causing long-term damage to the Canadian economy. Taking aim at Prime Minister Mark Carney, Poilievre said Car
AlbertaAug 21, 2026

Edmonton Nanaksar Gurdwara Stabbing Leaves Two Injured, Suspect Arrested

A stabbing incident at Nanaksar Gurdwara Sahib in Edmonton early Friday morning left two people injured. Police have arrested a suspect at the scene. According to police, the incident occurred at around 5:08 a.m. at the gurdwara located near 14 Street and Horsehills Road. The two injured individuals were treated at the scene, and their injuries were considered non-life-threatening. Police are questioning the arrested suspect, while officers continue their investigation in and around the gurdwara to ensure the safety of the congregation. Meanwhile, the World Sikh Organization of Canada said in
42-year-old-man-charged-in-immigration-fraud-case-arrest-warrant-issued
CanadaAug 21, 2026

42-Year-Old Man Charged in Immigration Fraud Case, Arrest Warrant Issued

The Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) has laid five charges against 42-year-old Abul Qasim for allegedly helping people enter Canada illegally and committing immigration fraud. An arrest warrant has also been issued for him. According to the CBSA, Qasim previously lived in Montreal but left Canada in June 2025 and is believed to be currently outside the country. The arrest warrant was issued after he failed to appear in response to a summons issued by a Montreal court. The CBSA began investigating the alleged scheme in 2024 after receiving confidential information from Immigration, Refugees