18.55°C Vancouver

Mar 10, 2026 5:40 PM - Connect Newsroom - Ramandeep Kaur with files from The Canadian Press

Former CBC anchor tells MPs broadcaster “silenced and intimidated” him

Share On
former-cbc-anchor-tells-mps-broadcaster-silenced-and-intimidated-him
During his testimony, Dhanraj said the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation created what he described as a “toxic culture where intimidation went unchecked.”(Photo: The Canadian Press)

Former CBC television reporter and anchor Travis Dhanraj told a House of Commons committee Tuesday that the public broadcaster fostered a workplace culture where he says employees were “silenced and intimidated.”

Dhanraj, who previously hosted the CBC program Canada Tonight, appeared before the House of Commons Standing Committee on Canadian Heritage as part of its study into the state of journalism and media in Canada.

During his testimony, Dhanraj said the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation created what he described as a “toxic culture where intimidation went unchecked.” He said the broadcaster’s public messaging about diversity did not match his experience inside the organization.

“While I was publicly held up as a bold, diverse host,” Dhanraj told the committee, the corporation’s stated commitment to diversity “contrasted with realities of tokenism.”

When Dhanraj announced his departure from the CBC in an email to staff in 2025, he alleged the organization had a workplace culture marked by “retaliation, exclusion and psychological harm,” according to remarks referenced during the committee hearing.

Last week, Dhanraj posted a video to his “Can’t Be Censored” podcast YouTube channel saying he planned to testify before the committee and would “name names, describe decisions and paint a better picture about what happened inside the CBC.”

Latest news

canada-us-trade-talks-collapse-as-ottawa-vows-dollar-for-dollar-tariff-response
CanadaAug 22, 2026

U.S. Tariffs on Canadian Imports Take Effect; PM Carney Warns of Dollar-for-Dollar Hit

U.S. tariffs on Canadian imports went into effect early Saturday morning after Prime Minister Mark Carney suspended trade negotiations just minutes before the midnight deadline. ​"I have decided to suspend trade negotiations with the U.S. and have directed Canada’s negotiators to return to Ottawa," Prime Minister Mark Carney said. "Last-minute changes in the U.S.-proposed terms were unfair, uneconomic, and called into question the reliability of any deal. Canada will match those tariffs dollar for dollar to protect our workers and businesses." ​In a statement released Friday night, U.S.
18-year-old-shooting-suspect-turns-himself-in-to-burnaby-rcmp
BCAug 21, 2026

18-year-old shooting suspect turns himself in to Burnaby RCMP

A suspect wanted in connection with a December 2025 shooting in North Burnaby has turned himself in to authorities. Burnaby RCMP said officers responded on Dec. 19, 2025, to a report of a shooting near Phillips Avenue and Woodbrook Place. A man was found suffering from gunshot wounds and was taken to hospital for treatment. The RCMP’s Investigative Support Team took over the investigation. On Dec. 25, charges were laid and an arrest warrant was issued for 18-year-old Ronin Tajali. Tajali has since surrendered to police and remains in custody awaiting a bail hearing. Police thanked the public
leaders-condemn-nanaksar-gurdwara-attack-call-for-action-against-anti-sikh-hate
AlbertaAug 21, 2026

Leaders Condemn Nanaksar Gurdwara Attack, Call for Action Against Anti-Sikh Hate

Federal NDP MP for Edmonton Strathcona Heather McPherson, along with leaders from across the country, has strongly condemned the attack at Nanaksar Gurdwara Sahib and expressed solidarity with the Sikh community. They called for a full investigation into the incident, urging authorities to take the growing anti-Sikh hatred in Canada seriously and implement stronger measures to protect places of worship. McPherson said everyone has the right to practise their religion freely and that such violent attacks are unacceptable under any circumstances. Meanwhile, Surrey-Newton MP Sukh Dhaliwal express
poilievre-warns-accepting-u-s-tariffs-could-devastate-canadas-industrial-sector
BCAug 21, 2026

Poilievre Warns Accepting U.S. Tariffs Could Devastate Canada’s Industrial Sector

Conservative Party Leader Pierre Poilievre has lashed out at the Liberal government during ongoing Canada-U.S. trade talks in Washington, warning that accepting unilateral U.S. tariffs could devastate Canada’s industrial sector. Speaking to reporters in Kitchener, Ontario, Poilievre strongly criticized the proposed 25 per cent U.S. tariffs on steel and aluminum. He said that if Canada accepts such discriminatory terms, major Canadian businesses and factories could leave the country, causing long-term damage to the Canadian economy. Taking aim at Prime Minister Mark Carney, Poilievre said Car
AlbertaAug 21, 2026

Edmonton Nanaksar Gurdwara Stabbing Leaves Two Injured, Suspect Arrested

A stabbing incident at Nanaksar Gurdwara Sahib in Edmonton early Friday morning left two people injured. Police have arrested a suspect at the scene. According to police, the incident occurred at around 5:08 a.m. at the gurdwara located near 14 Street and Horsehills Road. The two injured individuals were treated at the scene, and their injuries were considered non-life-threatening. Police are questioning the arrested suspect, while officers continue their investigation in and around the gurdwara to ensure the safety of the congregation. Meanwhile, the World Sikh Organization of Canada said in

Related News