23.36°C Vancouver

News

whistler-area-avalanche-conditions-tricky-says-expert-after-two-recent-deaths
BCFeb 16, 2021

Whistler-area avalanche conditions 'tricky,' says expert after two recent deaths

An Avalanche Canada expert says a recent cold snap followed by snowfall in British Columbia's south coastal region has resulted in unusual and tricky conditions in mountain areas frequented by backcountry enthusiasts.Ilya Storm says last week's cold winds from the north and east, followed by weekend snowfall, has created slabs of snow that are not bonding well with mountain surfaces, especially in the Whistler area.Whistler RCMP reported two deaths and several injuries after skiers and snowboarders were caught in separate avalanches in the Blackcomb Glacier and Brandywine Bowl areas.Last Decem
b-c-s-top-doctor-says-nigerian-variant-identified-in-b-c
BCFeb 13, 2021

B.C.'s top doctor says Nigerian variant identified in B.C.

British Columbia's top doctor says 47 cases of COVID-19 variants have been identified in the province, including one believed to be linked to Nigeria. Dr. Bonnie Henry says 29 cases are related to a variant first identified in the United Kingdom, 17 are associated with South Africa and the latest one involves a person who travelled to Nigeria and returned to the Interior Health region. Dr. Henry says lab teams in B.C. are working with their counterparts across Canada and internationally to get a better understanding of whether the Nigerian variant that has been identified elsewhere is also ea
b-c-approves-single-use-plastics-bans-in-surrey-nanaimo-rossland-and-esquimalt
BCFeb 13, 2021

B.C. approves single-use plastics bans in Surrey, Nanaimo, Rossland and Esquimalt

The British Columbia government has approved single-use plastics bans in four more communities. Surrey, Nanaimo, Rossland and Esquimalt are the latest municipalities to implement bans based on their particular needs. The province approved similar bylaws in Victoria, Richmond, Saanich, Tofino and Ucluelet last September to prevent waste such as shopping bags and takeout containers from ending up in landfills and the ocean. Environment Minister George Heyman says B.C. continues to work on regulations allowing local governments to place bans on single-use plastics without the need for provincial
surrey-rcmp-asking-can-you-identify-these-robbery-suspects
BCFeb 12, 2021

Surrey RCMP asking, can you identify these robbery suspects?

The Surrey RCMP Robbery Unit is requesting the public’s assistance with identifying three suspects involved in a series of robberies where high-end gaming consoles were stolen, throughout the Lower Mainland, three of which occurred in Surrey. Surrey RCMP officers have been working with other Lower Mainland police agencies and have identified one of the four suspects. However, efforts to identify the remaining three suspects have been unsuccessful. Photos and descriptions are being released and police are asking for the public’s help to identify the men.All three suspects are described as S
sexual-assault-charges-approved-against-unregistered-massage-practitioner-in-vancouver
BCFeb 12, 2021

Sexual assault charges approved against unregistered massage practitioner in Vancouver

Charges were approved Thursday by the BC Prosecution Service against a Vancouver man following a Vancouver Police sexual assault investigation."Thankfully this woman didn’t sustain any physical injuries from the assault and she was able to call police immediately after the incident occurred," says Constable Tania Visintin, VPD. The female victim had a massage booked at a business near West Broadway Avenue and Macdonald Street on February 10. It is alleged the unlicensed male massage practitioner assaulted her while she was laying on the massage table."We hope this result can bring peace to t
vpd-seizes-alarming-number-of-weapons-from-kerisdale-home-one-man-charged
BCFeb 12, 2021

VPD seizes alarming number of weapons from Kerisdale home, one man charged

Vancouver Police seized numerous weapons and tactical items from a suite in a building near Yew Street and West 37th Avenue last month following a domestic dispute investigation. "This extensive seizure is concerning," says Constable Tania Visintin, VPD. "These are very dangerous weapons and we are pleased they are off the street and in police custody." Officers responded to a 9-1-1 call about an alleged domestic dispute the morning of January 26. A witness had told police they had heard a man and woman yelling for 45 minutes. When officers arrived on scene to speak to the couple, they observe
police-investigate-latest-fatal-shooting-in-metro-vancouver-that-has-killed-one-man
BCFeb 12, 2021

Police investigate latest fatal shooting in Metro Vancouver that has killed one man

Homicide detectives confirm they are responding to a deadly attack in a residential area of southeast Burnaby, B.C. The Integrated Homicide Investigation Team says in a social media post that a man was fatally shot just after 10 p.m. Thursday. No other details have been released and police have not said if the case is considered targeted. The shooting occurred near the same Burnaby park where 32-year-old Chris Kenworthy was found dead from gunshot wounds on Feb. 3. Kenworthy's slaying was one of two that occurred within 12 hours in Metro Vancouver, and investigators have said both those attac
two-men-dead-one-rescued-after-tugboat-incident-on-b-c-s-north-coast
BCFeb 12, 2021

Two men dead, one rescued after tugboat incident on B.C.'s north coast

Two men are dead and one man has been rescued after a tugboat incident on British Columbia's north coast. The RCMP say at 12:40 a.m. Thursday, the Joint Rescue Co-ordination Centre received an emergency beacon from a tugboat in the Gardner Canal near Kemano, about 75 kilometres southeast of Kitimat. An RCMP West Coast Marine vessel stationed in Hartley Bay responded and found the first dead man, before the Canadian Coast Guard assisted and found the second dead man. The Mounties say one man was spotted by a private helicopter on the shore and has been transported to local hospital. B.C. Emerg
skiers-rescued-in-military-helicopter-northeast-of-squamish
BCFeb 12, 2021

Skiers rescued in military helicopter northeast of Squamish

Two skiers have been rescued in a military helicopter northeast of Squamish, B.C., after one of them suffered a leg injury. Squamish Search and Rescue manager Tyler Duncan says the pair had been camping and skiing in the Mamquam Lake area but one of them fell and was unable to ski out. Duncan says a local helicopter could not fly in frigid temperatures so a military helicopter was requested from CFB Comox. He says the men were well-prepared and experienced skiers who called for help using a satellite communication device. Duncan says they are both from Squamish and were transported to the loc

Just In

WorldAug 18, 2026

9 Migrants’ Bodies Recovered After Boat Capsizes Off Libya

The bodies of around nine migrants have been recovered from the coast over the past two days following a boat capsizing incident in the Tajoura area, east of Libya’s capital, Tripoli. The Tripoli Red Crescent said the bodies were found in the Tajoura area, about 22 kilometres from Tripoli. Local authorities said around 19 people were believed to have been aboard the boat, raising fears that more bodies could wash ashore in the coming days. The Red Crescent said search and recovery operations are continuing in coordination with the relevant authorities. Meanwhile, the rescue ship Ocean Viking
AlbertaAug 18, 2026

Calgary-Shaw by-election set for Sept. 14 following vacant seat

Elections Alberta has confirmed that a by-election in the Calgary-Shaw provincial constituency will be held Sept. 14. The official writ for the election has now been issued. The seat has been vacant since May, when former Environment and Protected Areas Minister Rebecca Schulz resigned following a recall petition launched against her. The United Conservative Party has nominated Mike Dery to contest the riding, while the NDP has nominated Kyle Campbell. NDP Leader Naheed Nenshi said electing Campbell would send a message to Premier Danielle Smith about her government's approach to separatists.
CanadaAug 18, 2026

Petition to Remove U.S. Ambassador Pete Hoekstra Surpasses 225,000 Signatures

A petition calling for the removal of U.S. Ambassador to Canada Pete Hoekstra has surpassed 225,000 signatures, reflecting growing opposition to his comments and actions in Canada. The petition, launched by Calgary woman Lee Walker, alleges that Hoekstra’s statements have undermined Canada’s sovereignty. It calls for him to be declared persona non grata under the rules of the United Nations’ Vienna Convention and expelled from Canada. However, experts say Hoekstra’s actions have not reached the threshold that would normally justify such a diplomatic step. Green Party Leader Elizabeth M
canadian-exports-face-50-per-cent-tariff-threat-as-carney-speaks-with-trump
CanadaAug 18, 2026

Canadian exports face 50 per cent tariff threat as Carney speaks with Trump

Prime Minister Mark Carney spoke by phone with U.S. President Donald Trump on Monday evening as Canada faces the prospect of 50 per cent tariffs on some exports. Neither government has released details of the discussion. The tariff deadline is now less than 24 hours away. The federal government has indicated that Ottawa could respond with countermeasures if the U.S. tariffs take effect, raising the possibility of further escalation in the Canada-U.S. trade dispute. The new U.S. tariffs are expected to affect more than $20 billion worth of Canadian exports. Reports citing sources familiar with
BCAug 17, 2026

B.C. Conservatives Slam Eby Cabinet Shuffle

B.C. Conservative Party Leader John Rustad and Surrey-Cloverdale MLA Eleanor Sturko have sharply criticized Premier David Eby’s latest cabinet shuffle. Rustad described the new appointments - including Josie Osborne as finance minister and Ravi Kahlon as health minister - as little more than a “musical chairs” exercise. He argued that replacing ministers will not address the province’s growing tax burden and large deficits, saying the Eby government has no concrete plan to bring spending and finances under control. Sturko, meanwhile, accused the NDP government of failing to address hom