1.94°C Vancouver

Dec 29, 2020 4:46 PM -

Apparent targeted shooting in Surrey, B.C., less than 24 hours after similar attack

Share On
apparent-targeted-shooting-in-surrey-b-c-less-than-24-hours-after-similar-attack
RCMP Cpl. Frank Jang pauses during a news conference at the RCMP headquarters in Surrey, B.C., Tuesday, April 24, 2018. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Jonathan Hayward

Homicide detectives are investigating a fatal shooting in Surrey, B.C., the second deadly attack in the city in as many days.

Sgt. Frank Jang with the joint-police Integrated Homicide Investigation Team says the shooting happened Monday evening in the Guildford neighbourhood.

The unnamed victim was found dead at the scene but few other details have been released.

The shooting took place as Jang was providing more information about a Sunday night shooting in the Whalley area that killed 19-year-old Harman Singh Dhesi.

Jang says Dhesi was known to police and his death and the Guildford-area shooting both appear to have been targeted.

He says a burning vehicle was found not far from the scene in each of the cases and officers are trying to determine any links.

Jang has appealed for dash cam or surveillance video from anyone in the area of the Sunday shooting at 137A Street and 90th Avenue or the Monday attack in the 11000-block of 148A Street.

There have been four fatal shootings in Surrey since Nov. 29, when 29-year-old Riyad Rasheed was gunned down outside a shopping mall in the Fleetwood district.

Police have said that attack was likely linked to ongoing conflicts between Lower Mainland gangs.

They have not given a motive for the shooting that killed 29-year-old Lisa Ellie Marie Baines on Dec. 3.

She was found dead in her car near her Newton home, after what investigators first thought was a crash but later determined to be a homicide.

Jang has said that shooting appears to have been isolated and unrelated to gangs or drugs.

Latest news

CanadaFeb 20, 2026

Canada advances to gold medal game after 3–2 semifinal win over Finland

Canada is heading to the gold medal game at the Winter Olympics 2026 after defeating Finland 3–2 in a tightly contested men’s hockey semifinal on Saturday. Finland opened the scoring late in the first period when Mikko Rantanen found the back of the net to give his team a 1–0 lead. Early in the second period, Erik Haula extended Finland’s advantage to 2–0, putting pressure on the Canadian squad. Canada responded before the end of the second period. West Vancouver native Sam Reinhart scored on a deflection with five minutes remaining in the frame, cutting the deficit to 2–1 and shif
india-u-s-likely-to-sign-interim-trade-deal-in-march-says-piyush-goyal
IndiaFeb 20, 2026

India, U.S. Likely to Sign Interim Trade Deal in March, Says Piyush Goyal

India’s Commerce and Industry Minister Piyush Goyal says an interim trade agreement between India and the United States could be signed as early as March, with implementation expected in April. The minister shared the update on Friday, indicating that negotiations have entered a final legal stage. According to Goyal, officials from both countries are scheduled to meet in the United States starting February 23 for three days of discussions aimed at finalizing the legal framework of the proposed agreement. The interim deal is expected to address tariff issues and market access while broader tr
WorldFeb 20, 2026

Bangladesh restores visa services for Indian nationals days after new government takes office

Bangladesh has reinstated visa services for Indian citizens just three days after a new government led by the Bangladesh Nationalist Party took office. Prime Minister Tarique Rahman announced Friday that all visa categories for Indian nationals have been restored, reversing a suspension imposed nearly two months ago. The earlier halt to visa processing had been introduced under the administration of former prime minister Muhammad Yunus. At that time, Bangladeshi authorities cited administrative and diplomatic considerations for pausing services. The decision had affected travellers seeking med
canada-welcomes-u-s-supreme-court-ruling-striking-down-trump-emergency-tariffs-but-sector
CanadaFeb 20, 2026

Canada welcomes U.S. Supreme Court ruling striking down Trump emergency tariffs, but sector

Canada’s Minister of International Trade, Dominic LeBlanc, says a recent decision by the Supreme Court of the United States to overturn tariffs imposed under former president Donald Trump’s emergency powers validates Canada’s long-standing position that the measures were unjustified. In a statement responding to the ruling, LeBlanc said the court’s decision confirms Canada’s argument that duties introduced under the International Emergency Economic Powers Act were not legally sound. Ottawa had previously raised concerns that the tariffs created uncertainty for cross-border trade and
u-s-supreme-court-blocks-trumps-use-of-emergency-powers-to-impose-tariffs
CanadaFeb 20, 2026

U.S. Supreme Court blocks Trump’s use of emergency powers to impose tariffs

The United States Supreme Court has ruled that former president Donald Trump could not rely on a national emergencies statute to impose sweeping tariffs on several countries, including Canada, during his time in office. In a decision released Friday, the court found that Trump’s use of the International Emergency Economic Powers Act to justify what he called “Liberation Day” tariffs exceeded the scope of the law. The measures had targeted imports from Canada, Mexico and China, and were also linked to fentanyl-related trade actions. The tariffs were introduced as part of a broader strateg

Related News