17.9°C Vancouver

News

one-dead-in-langley-crash-rcmp-deploy-collision-analysts
BCApr 10, 2026

One dead in Langley crash; RCMP deploy collision analysts

The Langley RCMP said officers responded at about 4:57 p.m. on April 9 to a crash in the 3300 block of 264th Street. First responders from the Township of Langley Fire Department and the British Columbia Ambulance Service also attended. “Despite life-saving efforts, one individual succumbed to their injuries at the scene,” Sgt. Zynal Sharoom said in a statement released by police. The Integrated Collision Analysis and Reconstruction Service has been deployed to assist with the investigation. Police have not released details about the cause of the crash or the identity of the individual. Ro
four-convicted-in-2023-east-vancouver-home-invasion-and-kidnapping
BCApr 09, 2026

Four convicted in 2023 East Vancouver home invasion and kidnapping

Four people have been convicted in connection with a violent home invasion and kidnapping that took place in East Vancouver on March 11, 2023, following a year-long investigation by the Vancouver Police Department. According to a Vancouver Police Department release, the case involved seven crime scenes and the abduction of four from a family home. Investigators say the victims were forced from the residence, driven the city, and held against their will for a period of time. Police arrested three suspects in April 2024 and forwarded charges to Crown counsel. Charges were later recommended again
surrey-3d-printed-firearms-lab-dismantled-one-arrested-police-say
BCApr 09, 2026

Surrey 3D-printed firearms lab dismantled, one arrested, police say

A man has been arrested after police say a clandestine firearms manufacturing operation involving 3D-printed weapons was dismantled in Surrey. According to a Combined Forces Special Enforcement Unit of British Columbia news release, its Illegal Firearms Enforcement Team began investigating in March 2026 into a suspect believed to be producing 3D-printed firearms and sharing schematics online. Police said the activity falls under Section 102.1 of the Criminal Code of Canada, which addresses the distribution of computer data for illegal firearms manufacturing. Investigators identified a suspect
homicide-investigators-probe-death-of-man-found-injured-in-surrey
BCApr 09, 2026

Homicide investigators probe death of man found injured in Surrey

A homicide investigation is underway after a man found gravely injured in Surrey on Wednesday night later died in hospital. According to a Surrey Police Service statement, officers were called at about 9:10 p.m. to the 9700 block of 134 Street for reports of an injured man. Paramedics attended and transported the man to hospital, where he was pronounced dead. Police did not specify the nature of the injuries. Investigators said the case remains in its early stages, but initial information suggests the incident was isolated. The Integrated Homicide Investigation Team has taken conduct of the in
b-c-premier-defends-proposed-temporary-suspension-of-parts-of-dripa-in-letter-to-indigenous-leaders
BCApr 09, 2026

B.C. premier defends proposed temporary suspension of parts of DRIPA in letter to Indigenous leaders

British Columbia Premier David Eby says a proposed move to suspend sections of the province’s Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples Act is intended to address legal uncertainty, not weaken First Nations rights. In a letter to Indigenous leaders, Eby wrote that the government is considering a temporary pause on certain provisions of Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples Act to clarify how land use and resource management decisions are made. According to the letter, the goal is to resolve uncertainty that has emerged in regulatory processes. Eby has previously argued that a
man-arrested-after-reported-assault-on-woman-in-new-westminster
BCApr 08, 2026

Man arrested after reported assault on woman in New Westminster

A man has been arrested after multiple witnesses reported seeing a woman being struck in the street in New Westminster on Sunday afternoon. According to a New Westminster Police Department news release, officers responded to two separate 911 calls at 1:20 p.m. reporting an assault involving a man and a woman walking along the street. Police attended the area near Nanaimo Street and 18th Street, where they located both individuals. Officers arrested the man without incident at the scene and provided assistance to the woman. Investigators also interviewed multiple witnesses who remained in the a
poilievre-communications-director-katy-merrifield-to-step-down-this-week
BCApr 08, 2026

Poilievre communications director Katy Merrifield to step down this week

Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre’s communications director, Katy Merrifield, is stepping down from her role, according to an internal email sent to the Conservative caucus on Tuesday. In the message, Merrifield said her last day in the Opposition Leader’s Office will be Friday. She also outlined changes to the senior communications team, stating that Micah Green will take over as communications director and Sam Lilly will become media relations director. Merrifield said both appointments were made at her recommendation. Merrifield joined Poilievre’s team in 2025, around the time the
BCApr 07, 2026

Vaisakhi match at BC Place, Whitecaps win thriller against Portland Timbers

On Saturday, the Vancouver Whitecaps played the Vaisakhi match at the iconic BC Place Stadium in Vancouver. The team dedicated its April 4 match to Vaisakhi and for this reason, the match against the Portland Timbers was named the Vaisakhi match.Bhangra performance by Naam Bhangra, Anmol Rattan and YBC Bhangra at BC Place stadium.During the Vaisakhi celebrations, performances related to Bhangra and Punjabi music were seen during the pre-game and half-time. More than 24,400 spectators had arrived to watch this match.Bhangra performance by Naam bhangra, Anmol Rattan and UBC bhangra during the
vancouver-island-man-sentenced-to-more-than-nine-years-for-child-exploitation-offences
BCApr 07, 2026

Vancouver Island man sentenced to more than nine years for child exploitation offences

A man from Tofino has been sentenced to more than nine years in prison after being convicted of multiple sexual offences involving minors he contacted online, according to police. In a statement, Port Alberni RCMP said Loki Tchir was sentenced on March 28 in Port Alberni on charges that include possession of child sexual abuse material and sexual interference involving a minor. Police said the sentence also imposes long-term restrictions following his release, including limits on employment, contact with minors and attendance at certain public places for a period of 15 years. According to RCMP

Just In

18-year-old-shooting-suspect-turns-himself-in-to-burnaby-rcmp
BCAug 21, 2026

18-year-old shooting suspect turns himself in to Burnaby RCMP

A suspect wanted in connection with a December 2025 shooting in North Burnaby has turned himself in to authorities. Burnaby RCMP said officers responded on Dec. 19, 2025, to a report of a shooting near Phillips Avenue and Woodbrook Place. A man was found suffering from gunshot wounds and was taken to hospital for treatment. The RCMP’s Investigative Support Team took over the investigation. On Dec. 25, charges were laid and an arrest warrant was issued for 18-year-old Ronin Tajali. Tajali has since surrendered to police and remains in custody awaiting a bail hearing. Police thanked the public
AlbertaAug 21, 2026

Leaders Condemn Nanaksar Gurdwara Attack, Call for Action Against Anti-Sikh Hate

Federal NDP MP for Edmonton Strathcona Heather McPherson, along with leaders from across the country, has strongly condemned the attack at Nanaksar Gurdwara Sahib and expressed solidarity with the Sikh community. They called for a full investigation into the incident, urging authorities to take the growing anti-Sikh hatred in Canada seriously and implement stronger measures to protect places of worship. McPherson said everyone has the right to practise their religion freely and that such violent attacks are unacceptable under any circumstances. Meanwhile, Surrey-Newton MP Sukh Dhaliwal express
poilievre-warns-accepting-u-s-tariffs-could-devastate-canadas-industrial-sector
BCAug 21, 2026

Poilievre Warns Accepting U.S. Tariffs Could Devastate Canada’s Industrial Sector

Conservative Party Leader Pierre Poilievre has lashed out at the Liberal government during ongoing Canada-U.S. trade talks in Washington, warning that accepting unilateral U.S. tariffs could devastate Canada’s industrial sector. Speaking to reporters in Kitchener, Ontario, Poilievre strongly criticized the proposed 25 per cent U.S. tariffs on steel and aluminum. He said that if Canada accepts such discriminatory terms, major Canadian businesses and factories could leave the country, causing long-term damage to the Canadian economy. Taking aim at Prime Minister Mark Carney, Poilievre said Car
AlbertaAug 21, 2026

Edmonton Nanaksar Gurdwara Stabbing Leaves Two Injured, Suspect Arrested

A stabbing incident at Nanaksar Gurdwara Sahib in Edmonton early Friday morning left two people injured. Police have arrested a suspect at the scene. According to police, the incident occurred at around 5:08 a.m. at the gurdwara located near 14 Street and Horsehills Road. The two injured individuals were treated at the scene, and their injuries were considered non-life-threatening. Police are questioning the arrested suspect, while officers continue their investigation in and around the gurdwara to ensure the safety of the congregation. Meanwhile, the World Sikh Organization of Canada said in
42-year-old-man-charged-in-immigration-fraud-case-arrest-warrant-issued
CanadaAug 21, 2026

42-Year-Old Man Charged in Immigration Fraud Case, Arrest Warrant Issued

The Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) has laid five charges against 42-year-old Abul Qasim for allegedly helping people enter Canada illegally and committing immigration fraud. An arrest warrant has also been issued for him. According to the CBSA, Qasim previously lived in Montreal but left Canada in June 2025 and is believed to be currently outside the country. The arrest warrant was issued after he failed to appear in response to a summons issued by a Montreal court. The CBSA began investigating the alleged scheme in 2024 after receiving confidential information from Immigration, Refugees