23.65°C Vancouver

News

charges-approved-after-surrey-driver-struck-by-bullet-in-march-24-incident
BCApr 07, 2026

Charges approved after Surrey driver struck by bullet in March 24 incident

A 42-year-old man is facing multiple criminal charges after a driver was struck by a bullet in Surrey on March 24, according to a release from Surrey Police Service. Police say officers responded around 10:56 p.m. to a reported motor vehicle collision with injuries in the 10300 block of University Drive. According to Surrey Police Service, investigators later determined the victim had been driving northbound on University Avenue when they were allegedly hit by a Gun Shot. BC Emergency Health Services transported the injured person to hospital with non-life-threatening injuries, police said. Th
good-samaritan-killed-two-injured-in-highway-16-crash-near-witset-police-say
BCApr 07, 2026

Good Samaritan killed, two injured in Highway 16 crash near Witset, police say

A man who stopped to help a stranded driver on a northern British Columbia highway was killed when an SUV struck a parked pickup, according to BC Highway Patrol. Police said the crash happened at about 8:30 p.m. Thursday on Highway 16 near Witset after a grey flatbed pickup pulled over due to mechanical issues. Two passing drivers stopped and got out to assist. Investigators say a Chevrolet SUV then collided with the stationary pickup and the people outside the vehicles. A 60-year-old man from Witset was pronounced dead at the scene. A 45-year-old man from Calgary and the 42-year-old driver of
b-c-first-nations-leader-questions-dripa-suspension-plan-cites-legal-uncertainty
BCApr 07, 2026

B.C. First Nations leader questions DRIPA suspension plan, cites legal uncertainty

A First Nations leader in British Columbia says the provincial government’s plan to suspend parts of the Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples Act could increase legal uncertainty and affect reconciliation efforts. Judith Sayers, president of the Nuu-chah-nulth Tribal Council, said the proposed three-year suspension outlined by Premier David Eby may leave key legal questions unresolved, particularly if there is a change in government before the period ends. She said it is also unclear whether courts will have ruled on two major cases currently under appeal during that time. Accordi
b-c-ferries-cancellations-draw-criticism-from-opposition-transportation-critic
BCApr 06, 2026

B.C. Ferries cancellations draw criticism from Opposition transportation critic

Ongoing sailing cancellations at B.C. Ferries are facing renewed criticism from the Opposition, with Conservative transportation critic Harman Bhangu calling for a leadership overhaul at the Crown corporation. In a statement, Bhangu, MLA for Langley–Abbotsford, said repeated weekend and Monday cancellations have left passengers dealing with continued disruptions. He attributed the service issues to vessels being out of service, operational challenges and what he described as a growing list of cancelled sailings. According to Bhangu, the situation reflects a broader failure within the ferry s
shots-fired-at-delta-home-no-injuries-reported-police-say
BCApr 06, 2026

Shots fired at Delta home; no injuries reported, police say

According to a Delta Police Department statement, officers responded around 2:50 a.m. Friday to the 11200 block of 92A Avenue near Hardy Road after reports of gunfire. At the scene, investigators recovered multiple Gun Shot casings and determined the shots were directed at an unoccupied basement suite of the house. Police confirmed that people were inside the upper level of the home at the time of the incident but were not struck. Investigators say preliminary findings suggest the shooting was targeted. However, police added there is no indication at this stage that the incident is extortion.
environment-canada-warns-of-strong-winds-across-b-c-south-coast-starting-monday
BCApr 06, 2026

Environment Canada warns of strong winds across B.C. south coast starting Monday

Environment Canada has issued a special weather statement warning of strong winds across British Columbia’s then coast beginning Monday afternoon. According to the federal weather agency, gusts of up to 70 km/h are expected to develop late Monday as a cold front moves across the South Coast. The winds are forecast to continue into Tuesday morning. The statement applies to several , including Metro Vancouver, Greater Victoria, eastern Vancouver Island and the Southern Gulf Islands. Environment Canada says the system will bring “strong and gusty” westerly winds in the wake of what it descr
man-seriously-injured-in-targeted-stabbing-at-abbotsford-park-police-say
BCApr 06, 2026

Man seriously injured in targeted stabbing at Abbotsford park, police say

A 29-year-old man was seriously injured in a stabbing at a park in Abbotsford late Saturday, in what police describe as a targeted attack. According to a statement from Abbotsford Police, officers were called around midnight to Jubilee Park in the 2500 block of McCallum Road, where they found the victim suffering from significant injuries. A police officer with medical training provided immediate care and stabilized the man before paramedics arrived. Police say the victim remains in serious condition. Sgt. Paul Walker said the investigation is in its early stages, and investigators are working
canada-super-60-season-2-returns-to-bc-place-stadium
BCApr 02, 2026

Canada Super 60 season 2 returns to BC Place Stadium

The Canada Super 60 league is set to return to Vancouver's iconic BC Place Stadium. The second season of the league has been announced. This time, the league will be played from September 29 to October 4. Organizers say that the league will once again see the combination of the game of cricket with entertainment, cultural activities and concerts. League organizer Yuvraj Singh, iconic former international cricketer, says that the first season was successful and we are happy that we are now going ahead with the second season. Yuvraj Singh with BC Premier David Eby at BC Place stadium during the
police-outline-safety-plan-for-surrey-khalsa-day-vaisakhi-parade
BCApr 02, 2026

Police outline safety plan for Surrey Khalsa Day Vaisakhi Parade

The Surrey Police Service says it will deploy officers and coordinate with multiple regional units to manage safety and traffic during the Surrey Khalsa Day Vaisakhi Parade scheduled for April 18. According to a Surrey Police Service news release, the annual event draws tens of thousands of attendees and is among the largest Vaisakhi celebrations globally. Police said a public safety plan has been developed in coordination with the City of Surrey and event organizers, incorporating provincial guidance for large gatherings. Officers from several agencies are expected to assist, including the De

Just In

18-year-old-shooting-suspect-turns-himself-in-to-burnaby-rcmp
BCAug 21, 2026

18-year-old shooting suspect turns himself in to Burnaby RCMP

A suspect wanted in connection with a December 2025 shooting in North Burnaby has turned himself in to authorities. Burnaby RCMP said officers responded on Dec. 19, 2025, to a report of a shooting near Phillips Avenue and Woodbrook Place. A man was found suffering from gunshot wounds and was taken to hospital for treatment. The RCMP’s Investigative Support Team took over the investigation. On Dec. 25, charges were laid and an arrest warrant was issued for 18-year-old Ronin Tajali. Tajali has since surrendered to police and remains in custody awaiting a bail hearing. Police thanked the public
AlbertaAug 21, 2026

Leaders Condemn Nanaksar Gurdwara Attack, Call for Action Against Anti-Sikh Hate

Federal NDP MP for Edmonton Strathcona Heather McPherson, along with leaders from across the country, has strongly condemned the attack at Nanaksar Gurdwara Sahib and expressed solidarity with the Sikh community. They called for a full investigation into the incident, urging authorities to take the growing anti-Sikh hatred in Canada seriously and implement stronger measures to protect places of worship. McPherson said everyone has the right to practise their religion freely and that such violent attacks are unacceptable under any circumstances. Meanwhile, Surrey-Newton MP Sukh Dhaliwal express
poilievre-warns-accepting-u-s-tariffs-could-devastate-canadas-industrial-sector
BCAug 21, 2026

Poilievre Warns Accepting U.S. Tariffs Could Devastate Canada’s Industrial Sector

Conservative Party Leader Pierre Poilievre has lashed out at the Liberal government during ongoing Canada-U.S. trade talks in Washington, warning that accepting unilateral U.S. tariffs could devastate Canada’s industrial sector. Speaking to reporters in Kitchener, Ontario, Poilievre strongly criticized the proposed 25 per cent U.S. tariffs on steel and aluminum. He said that if Canada accepts such discriminatory terms, major Canadian businesses and factories could leave the country, causing long-term damage to the Canadian economy. Taking aim at Prime Minister Mark Carney, Poilievre said Car
AlbertaAug 21, 2026

Edmonton Nanaksar Gurdwara Stabbing Leaves Two Injured, Suspect Arrested

A stabbing incident at Nanaksar Gurdwara Sahib in Edmonton early Friday morning left two people injured. Police have arrested a suspect at the scene. According to police, the incident occurred at around 5:08 a.m. at the gurdwara located near 14 Street and Horsehills Road. The two injured individuals were treated at the scene, and their injuries were considered non-life-threatening. Police are questioning the arrested suspect, while officers continue their investigation in and around the gurdwara to ensure the safety of the congregation. Meanwhile, the World Sikh Organization of Canada said in
42-year-old-man-charged-in-immigration-fraud-case-arrest-warrant-issued
CanadaAug 21, 2026

42-Year-Old Man Charged in Immigration Fraud Case, Arrest Warrant Issued

The Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) has laid five charges against 42-year-old Abul Qasim for allegedly helping people enter Canada illegally and committing immigration fraud. An arrest warrant has also been issued for him. According to the CBSA, Qasim previously lived in Montreal but left Canada in June 2025 and is believed to be currently outside the country. The arrest warrant was issued after he failed to appear in response to a summons issued by a Montreal court. The CBSA began investigating the alleged scheme in 2024 after receiving confidential information from Immigration, Refugees