18.98°C Vancouver

News

b-c-wildfire-service-website-releases-latest-data
BCJul 26, 2023

B.C. wildfire service website releases latest data

British Columbia's wildfire season is the most destructive on record, with more than 15,000 square kilometres of the province burned, surpassing the previous high of 13,543 square kilometres set in 2018.Here are some statistics about the current season from the BC Wildfire Service website, as of 12 p.m. Pacific time, July 26.Burnt area:15,055 square kilometresFires currently burning: 439, including 23 fires of noteNew fires in the past 24 hours:9Out-of-control fires:246Total number of fires this season:1,486Causes of all fires:Lightning, 69 per cent; humans (deliberate and accidental), 25 per
amber-alert-kids-taken-off-grid-after-preplanned-abduction-by-b-c-mom-rcmp
BCJul 25, 2023

Amber Alert kids taken off grid after 'preplanned' abduction by B.C. mom: RCMP

Police say they have credible information that two children who are the subject of an Amber Alert have been taken 'off the grid' in an alleged preplanned abduction by their mother.Surrey RCMP say they believe Verity Bolton, along with her father Robert and boyfriend Abraxus Glazov, are living in trailers in a rural area after the woman failed to return the children to their father earlier this month.Police say they've received 180 tips on the case, but the whereabouts of 8-year-old Aurora and 10-year-old Joshuah Bolton remain unknown, with the last confirmed sighting at a Merritt, B.C. gas sta
b-c-overhauling-policing-standards-for-sexual-assault-investigations
BCJul 24, 2023

B.C. overhauling policing standards for sexual assault investigations

Public Safety Minister and Solicitor General Mike Farnworth has announced new programs and policing standards to support sexual assault survivors.A statement from the ministry says stable funding for programs, plus new policing standards for responding to sexual assaults, will support survivors while ensuring more effective investigations.Farnworth says the annual funding is immediately available for 68 new sexual assault programs across the province.The new police standards due to start next year will include police and victim-services working together to consider a person's unique needs when
worksafe-b-c-reminds-employers-to-keep-workers-safe-from-heat-stress
BCJul 21, 2023

WorkSafe B.C. reminds employers to keep workers safe from heat stress

WorkSafe B.C. says heat warnings issued by Environment Canada should be a wake-up call to employers to protect employees working indoors and outside. WorkSafe say employers need to take steps to protect employees, especially farm workers, construction workers and those in restaurant kitchens. It says the number of claims related to heat stress has been increasing in recent years. Environment Canada says temperatures in the B.C. interior today and tomorrow will reach the mid 30s and is warning people of the dangers of heat-related illnesses.
with-increased-bc-family-benefit-more-than-285-000-families-to-see-payments-in-bank-accounts
BCJul 20, 2023

With increased BC Family Benefit, more than 285,000 families to see payments in bank accounts

With increased BC Family Benefit, more than 285,000 families throughout B.C. will see bigger payments in their bank accounts starting this month."Global inflation and higher interest rates continue to be hard on many families right now," said Grace Lore, Minister of State for Child Care. "The BC Family Benefit is one way we're helping families provide the food, clothes and opportunities their kids need to have the best start possible."The BC Family Benefit is a regular monthly payment from the provincial government. Eligibility is based on income and number of children.The benefit reaches fami
university-of-british-columbia-announces-neuropsychologist-as-new-president
BCJul 20, 2023

University of British Columbia announces neuropsychologist as new president

The University of British Columbia has named neuropsychologist and Carleton University leader Benoit-Antoine Bacon as its new president and vice-chancellor.The university says Bacon will take over from interim president Deborah Buszard, who has served in the role since the October 2022 exit of Santa Ono.Nancy McKenzie, chair of UBC's board of governors, says Bacon has strong leadership qualities and brings a wealth of experience to the role with a track record as a researcher, teacher, and senior administrator at major Canadian research universities.Bacon has served as president and vice-chanc
b-c-orders-surrey-to-continue-transition-to-surrey-police-service
BCJul 19, 2023

B.C. orders Surrey to continue transition to Surrey police Service

The provincial government has ordered the City of Surrey to proceed with the Surrey Police Service and recall its plan to retain the services of the RCMP as the city’s police of jurisdiction.During a press conference in Victoria on Wednesday, Public Safety Minister and Solicitor General Mike Farnworth confirmed the same in accordance in accordance with Section 2 of the Police Act.He said that this is the final decision and he fully expects the elected government in Surrey to follow the law.Surrey Mayor Brenda Locke could not be immediately reached for comment.
federal-labour-minister-seamus-oregan-says-port-workers-strike-illegal
BCJul 19, 2023

Federal Labour Minister Seamus O'Regan says port workers strike illegal

British Columbia port employers say the longshore workers union has given 72-hour notice of renewed strike action starting on Saturday morning.It is worth mentioning that Federal Labour Minister Seamus O'Reganhad said that the strike by the International Longshore and Warehouse Union Canada is illegal after a ruling by the Canada Industrial Relations Board.In a tweet, O'Regan says the board ordered that the union cease and desist any strike activity because it did not provide 72 hours notice. The strike that has shut down British Columbia's ports resumed Tuesday after the longshore workers uni
first-troops-in-b-c-for-wildfire-fight-as-helicopters-and-hercules-plane-readied
BCJul 18, 2023

First troops in B.C. for wildfire fight, as helicopters and Hercules plane readied

The Canadian Armed Forces says the first troops to help in British Columbia's wildfire fight have arrived in the province, with more soldiers, helicopters and a Hercules plane poised for deployment.The forces said in a statement that a reconnaissance team is on the ground in Prince George in central B.C. and is working with local authorities including the BC Wildfire Service to strategize.The arrival of the personnel and equipment will be welcomed by firefighters and communities, said the province's Public Safety Minister Mike Farnworth."We also know we can count on the Canadian Armed Forces t

Just In

18-year-old-shooting-suspect-turns-himself-in-to-burnaby-rcmp
BCAug 21, 2026

18-year-old shooting suspect turns himself in to Burnaby RCMP

A suspect wanted in connection with a December 2025 shooting in North Burnaby has turned himself in to authorities. Burnaby RCMP said officers responded on Dec. 19, 2025, to a report of a shooting near Phillips Avenue and Woodbrook Place. A man was found suffering from gunshot wounds and was taken to hospital for treatment. The RCMP’s Investigative Support Team took over the investigation. On Dec. 25, charges were laid and an arrest warrant was issued for 18-year-old Ronin Tajali. Tajali has since surrendered to police and remains in custody awaiting a bail hearing. Police thanked the public
AlbertaAug 21, 2026

Leaders Condemn Nanaksar Gurdwara Attack, Call for Action Against Anti-Sikh Hate

Federal NDP MP for Edmonton Strathcona Heather McPherson, along with leaders from across the country, has strongly condemned the attack at Nanaksar Gurdwara Sahib and expressed solidarity with the Sikh community. They called for a full investigation into the incident, urging authorities to take the growing anti-Sikh hatred in Canada seriously and implement stronger measures to protect places of worship. McPherson said everyone has the right to practise their religion freely and that such violent attacks are unacceptable under any circumstances. Meanwhile, Surrey-Newton MP Sukh Dhaliwal express
poilievre-warns-accepting-u-s-tariffs-could-devastate-canadas-industrial-sector
BCAug 21, 2026

Poilievre Warns Accepting U.S. Tariffs Could Devastate Canada’s Industrial Sector

Conservative Party Leader Pierre Poilievre has lashed out at the Liberal government during ongoing Canada-U.S. trade talks in Washington, warning that accepting unilateral U.S. tariffs could devastate Canada’s industrial sector. Speaking to reporters in Kitchener, Ontario, Poilievre strongly criticized the proposed 25 per cent U.S. tariffs on steel and aluminum. He said that if Canada accepts such discriminatory terms, major Canadian businesses and factories could leave the country, causing long-term damage to the Canadian economy. Taking aim at Prime Minister Mark Carney, Poilievre said Car
AlbertaAug 21, 2026

Edmonton Nanaksar Gurdwara Stabbing Leaves Two Injured, Suspect Arrested

A stabbing incident at Nanaksar Gurdwara Sahib in Edmonton early Friday morning left two people injured. Police have arrested a suspect at the scene. According to police, the incident occurred at around 5:08 a.m. at the gurdwara located near 14 Street and Horsehills Road. The two injured individuals were treated at the scene, and their injuries were considered non-life-threatening. Police are questioning the arrested suspect, while officers continue their investigation in and around the gurdwara to ensure the safety of the congregation. Meanwhile, the World Sikh Organization of Canada said in
42-year-old-man-charged-in-immigration-fraud-case-arrest-warrant-issued
CanadaAug 21, 2026

42-Year-Old Man Charged in Immigration Fraud Case, Arrest Warrant Issued

The Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) has laid five charges against 42-year-old Abul Qasim for allegedly helping people enter Canada illegally and committing immigration fraud. An arrest warrant has also been issued for him. According to the CBSA, Qasim previously lived in Montreal but left Canada in June 2025 and is believed to be currently outside the country. The arrest warrant was issued after he failed to appear in response to a summons issued by a Montreal court. The CBSA began investigating the alleged scheme in 2024 after receiving confidential information from Immigration, Refugees