25.97°C Vancouver

News

BCJul 17, 2026

RCMP warns B.C. residents about fake letters demanding money in cyber scam

The West Shore RCMP is warning British Columbia residents about fraudulent letters falsely claiming to be from the RCMP's National Cybercrime Coordination Centre in an attempt to extort money from the public. According to the RCMP, the letters falsely accuse recipients of accessing child sexual exploitation material and demand payment within 24 hours to avoid having their names made public and facing court proceedings. Police said the allegations are fabricated and are intended to intimidate victims into sending money. West Shore RCMP Media Relations Officer Cpl. Nancy Saggar said Canadian pol
police-renew-appeal-to-locate-missing-north-vancouver-woman-last-seen-july-7
BCJul 16, 2026

Police renew appeal to locate missing North Vancouver woman last seen July 7

North Vancouver RCMP are renewing their appeal for the public's help in locating 46-year-old Mihaela Ududec, who has been missing since July 7. According to a North Vancouver RCMP news release, investigators have confirmed through video evidence that Ududec was last seen at 3:03 p.m. on July 7 in the 100 block of West Keith Road. Police have released a CCTV image showing what she was wearing in the hope that someone may recognize her or provide information about her whereabouts. She was last seen wearing a purple T-shirt, blue jeans, black Nike shoes and a grey hat."Our Investigative Support S
federal-government-unveils-vancouver-port-strategy-focused-on-trade-growth-and-major-infrastructure
BCJul 16, 2026

Federal government unveils Vancouver port strategy focused on trade growth and major infrastructure

Federal Transport Minister Steven MacKinnon on Friday announced the Port of Vancouver Gateway Strategy, a federal initiative aimed at expanding Canada's trade capacity through the Port of Vancouver and strengthening transportation infrastructure on the West Coast. According to the federal government, the strategy includes advancing the Roberts Bank Terminal 2 expansion project in Delta and referring Alberta's proposed West Coast oil pipeline project to the Major Projects Office for an expedited review under a single regulatory approval process. The government said the initiative is intended to
BCJul 16, 2026

At least seven structures destroyed as Fraser Canyon wildfire intensifies

At least seven structures have been destroyed as a fast-moving wildfire burns through British Columbia's Fraser Canyon region, according to local officials. The Fraser Valley Regional District said the damage was caused by the Brunswick Wildfire Complex, which includes the Brunswick Creek and Ainslie Creek wildfires. Most of the destruction occurred near the Blue Lake Resort outside Boston Bar. Regional district spokesperson Samantha Piper said the destroyed structures include four residential buildings and seasonal cabins used to accommodate visitors, along with three commercial support struc
nine-parked-vehicles-damaged-in-surreys-newton-neighbourhood-police-seek-suspects
BCJul 16, 2026

Nine parked vehicles damaged in Surrey's Newton neighbourhood, police seek suspects

Surrey Police Service is investigating a series of vehicle vandalism incidents after nine parked vehicles were found with smashed windows in the city's Newton neighbourhood early Wednesday morning. According to police, officers responded at about 5 a.m. to reports of vehicle windows being smashed near 75 Avenue and 147A Street. By the time officers arrived, the suspects had fled the area. Investigators found that the front, rear and side windows of nine separate parked vehicles had been damaged. Police have reviewed CCTV footage from the area, which shows two suspects believed to be involved i
bc-conservative-mla-harman-bhangu-criticizes-forestry-minister-over-mill-closures-job-losses
BCJul 16, 2026

BC Conservative MLA Harman Bhangu criticizes forestry minister over mill closures, job losses

Political debate over British Columbia's struggling forestry sector intensified Thursday after BC Conservative MLA Harman Bhangu criticized Forests Minister Ravi Parmar, alleging the provincial government has failed to respond effectively to ongoing mill closures and forestry job losses. In a statement, Bhangu pointed to Canfor's Northwood pulp mill closure in Prince George, saying each mill shutdown results in the loss of hundreds of jobs and has broader economic consequences for local businesses and resource-dependent communities. He said residents in forestry communities across the province
one-person-killed-five-injured-in-four-vehicle-crash-in-delta
BCJul 16, 2026

One person killed, five injured in four-vehicle crash in Delta

A man has died and five other people were injured following a four-vehicle collision in Delta on Wednesday afternoon, according to Delta Police. Staff Sgt. Mike Whiteley said the crash occurred at about 3 p.m. in the 9800 block of Ladner Trunk Road. Multiple people were travelling in the four vehicles involved. First responders attempted life-saving measures on an adult man at the scene, but he was pronounced dead. Police have not released his identity or any additional details. The cause of the collision remains under investigation by the Delta Police Collision Investigation Team. Police have
BCJul 15, 2026

Elderly woman distracted and robbed of gold necklace in Vancouver, police seek suspects

A 76-year-old woman was allegedly robbed of her gold necklace after being distracted by an unknown woman in Vancouver's East 11th Avenue and Victoria Drive area on Tuesday, according to the Vancouver Police Department. Police said the incident occurred at about 12:30 p.m. while the senior was waiting for family members. An unidentified woman approached her and claimed she looked like her mother, whose birthday she said it was. The suspect then hugged the victim and, during the interaction, allegedly removed the woman's gold necklace and replaced it with a fake one. The victim reportedly discov
BCJul 15, 2026

Surrey man sentenced to nearly five years in prison in extortion-related shooting and arson case

A Surrey Provincial Court judge has sentenced Abhijeet Kingra to nearly five years in prison for his role in a 2024 extortion-related shooting and arson targeting a Surrey home. According to court records, Kingra pleaded guilty on July 6 to charges of discharging a firearm at a residence and committing arson. The offences stem from an Aug. 10, 2024 incident in which a home belonging to a person who had reportedly received extortion threats was shot at and set on fire. The court imposed a two-year sentence for arson and a sentence of four years, 10 months and 19 days for the shooting offence. T

Just In

18-year-old-shooting-suspect-turns-himself-in-to-burnaby-rcmp
BCAug 21, 2026

18-year-old shooting suspect turns himself in to Burnaby RCMP

A suspect wanted in connection with a December 2025 shooting in North Burnaby has turned himself in to authorities. Burnaby RCMP said officers responded on Dec. 19, 2025, to a report of a shooting near Phillips Avenue and Woodbrook Place. A man was found suffering from gunshot wounds and was taken to hospital for treatment. The RCMP’s Investigative Support Team took over the investigation. On Dec. 25, charges were laid and an arrest warrant was issued for 18-year-old Ronin Tajali. Tajali has since surrendered to police and remains in custody awaiting a bail hearing. Police thanked the public
AlbertaAug 21, 2026

Leaders Condemn Nanaksar Gurdwara Attack, Call for Action Against Anti-Sikh Hate

Federal NDP MP for Edmonton Strathcona Heather McPherson, along with leaders from across the country, has strongly condemned the attack at Nanaksar Gurdwara Sahib and expressed solidarity with the Sikh community. They called for a full investigation into the incident, urging authorities to take the growing anti-Sikh hatred in Canada seriously and implement stronger measures to protect places of worship. McPherson said everyone has the right to practise their religion freely and that such violent attacks are unacceptable under any circumstances. Meanwhile, Surrey-Newton MP Sukh Dhaliwal express
poilievre-warns-accepting-u-s-tariffs-could-devastate-canadas-industrial-sector
BCAug 21, 2026

Poilievre Warns Accepting U.S. Tariffs Could Devastate Canada’s Industrial Sector

Conservative Party Leader Pierre Poilievre has lashed out at the Liberal government during ongoing Canada-U.S. trade talks in Washington, warning that accepting unilateral U.S. tariffs could devastate Canada’s industrial sector. Speaking to reporters in Kitchener, Ontario, Poilievre strongly criticized the proposed 25 per cent U.S. tariffs on steel and aluminum. He said that if Canada accepts such discriminatory terms, major Canadian businesses and factories could leave the country, causing long-term damage to the Canadian economy. Taking aim at Prime Minister Mark Carney, Poilievre said Car
AlbertaAug 21, 2026

Edmonton Nanaksar Gurdwara Stabbing Leaves Two Injured, Suspect Arrested

A stabbing incident at Nanaksar Gurdwara Sahib in Edmonton early Friday morning left two people injured. Police have arrested a suspect at the scene. According to police, the incident occurred at around 5:08 a.m. at the gurdwara located near 14 Street and Horsehills Road. The two injured individuals were treated at the scene, and their injuries were considered non-life-threatening. Police are questioning the arrested suspect, while officers continue their investigation in and around the gurdwara to ensure the safety of the congregation. Meanwhile, the World Sikh Organization of Canada said in
42-year-old-man-charged-in-immigration-fraud-case-arrest-warrant-issued
CanadaAug 21, 2026

42-Year-Old Man Charged in Immigration Fraud Case, Arrest Warrant Issued

The Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) has laid five charges against 42-year-old Abul Qasim for allegedly helping people enter Canada illegally and committing immigration fraud. An arrest warrant has also been issued for him. According to the CBSA, Qasim previously lived in Montreal but left Canada in June 2025 and is believed to be currently outside the country. The arrest warrant was issued after he failed to appear in response to a summons issued by a Montreal court. The CBSA began investigating the alleged scheme in 2024 after receiving confidential information from Immigration, Refugees