19.79°C Vancouver

News

nine-parked-vehicles-damaged-in-surreys-newton-neighbourhood-police-seek-suspects
BCJul 16, 2026

Nine parked vehicles damaged in Surrey's Newton neighbourhood, police seek suspects

Surrey Police Service is investigating a series of vehicle vandalism incidents after nine parked vehicles were found with smashed windows in the city's Newton neighbourhood early Wednesday morning. According to police, officers responded at about 5 a.m. to reports of vehicle windows being smashed near 75 Avenue and 147A Street. By the time officers arrived, the suspects had fled the area. Investigators found that the front, rear and side windows of nine separate parked vehicles had been damaged. Police have reviewed CCTV footage from the area, which shows two suspects believed to be involved i
bc-conservative-mla-harman-bhangu-criticizes-forestry-minister-over-mill-closures-job-losses
BCJul 16, 2026

BC Conservative MLA Harman Bhangu criticizes forestry minister over mill closures, job losses

Political debate over British Columbia's struggling forestry sector intensified Thursday after BC Conservative MLA Harman Bhangu criticized Forests Minister Ravi Parmar, alleging the provincial government has failed to respond effectively to ongoing mill closures and forestry job losses. In a statement, Bhangu pointed to Canfor's Northwood pulp mill closure in Prince George, saying each mill shutdown results in the loss of hundreds of jobs and has broader economic consequences for local businesses and resource-dependent communities. He said residents in forestry communities across the province
one-person-killed-five-injured-in-four-vehicle-crash-in-delta
BCJul 16, 2026

One person killed, five injured in four-vehicle crash in Delta

A man has died and five other people were injured following a four-vehicle collision in Delta on Wednesday afternoon, according to Delta Police. Staff Sgt. Mike Whiteley said the crash occurred at about 3 p.m. in the 9800 block of Ladner Trunk Road. Multiple people were travelling in the four vehicles involved. First responders attempted life-saving measures on an adult man at the scene, but he was pronounced dead. Police have not released his identity or any additional details. The cause of the collision remains under investigation by the Delta Police Collision Investigation Team. Police have
BCJul 15, 2026

Elderly woman distracted and robbed of gold necklace in Vancouver, police seek suspects

A 76-year-old woman was allegedly robbed of her gold necklace after being distracted by an unknown woman in Vancouver's East 11th Avenue and Victoria Drive area on Tuesday, according to the Vancouver Police Department. Police said the incident occurred at about 12:30 p.m. while the senior was waiting for family members. An unidentified woman approached her and claimed she looked like her mother, whose birthday she said it was. The suspect then hugged the victim and, during the interaction, allegedly removed the woman's gold necklace and replaced it with a fake one. The victim reportedly discov
BCJul 15, 2026

Surrey man sentenced to nearly five years in prison in extortion-related shooting and arson case

A Surrey Provincial Court judge has sentenced Abhijeet Kingra to nearly five years in prison for his role in a 2024 extortion-related shooting and arson targeting a Surrey home. According to court records, Kingra pleaded guilty on July 6 to charges of discharging a firearm at a residence and committing arson. The offences stem from an Aug. 10, 2024 incident in which a home belonging to a person who had reportedly received extortion threats was shot at and set on fire. The court imposed a two-year sentence for arson and a sentence of four years, 10 months and 19 days for the shooting offence. T
burnaby-rcmp-seek-publics-help-to-identify-suspect-in-sexual-assault-investigation
BCJul 15, 2026

Burnaby RCMP seek public's help to identify suspect in sexual assault investigation

Burnaby RCMP are asking for the public's help as they investigate a reported sexual assault that occurred in the city's Metrotown area last week. According to police, the incident happened at about 11:30 p.m. on July 9 near Royal Oak Avenue and Beresford Street. Investigators said the victim was walking alone when an unidentified man approached her from behind and sexually assaulted her. The suspect fled the area after the victim called 911. Officers searched the neighbourhood but were unable to locate him. Police said a second suspicious incident was reported about 30 minutes later near Beres
BCJul 15, 2026

Two killed, one seriously injured in Vancouver Island helicopter crash

Two people were killed and one person was seriously injured after a helicopter crashed in a remote area of Vancouver Island on Tuesday morning. According to West Coast Helicopters, the crash occurred at approximately 6:15 a.m. in the Loughborough Inlet area, where the aircraft was supporting forestry operations. The company said the victims have been identified as pilot Riley Brown and forestry worker Bobby Novak. The third occupant survived the crash and was taken for medical treatment with serious injuries. Their identity has not been released. The Transportation Safety Board of Canada has t
BCJul 15, 2026

Canfor announces closure of another B.C. mill, about 300 jobs affected

Forestry company Canfor has announced it will permanently close its Northwood pulp mill in Prince George, a decision that is expected to affect approximately 300 employees. According to a company news release, the closure is driven by ongoing financial losses, a shortage of economically viable fibre supply, and continued weakness in global pulp markets. Canfor said an oversupply of pulp and a significant decline in market prices have created sustained challenges for the sector. The company said the Northwood pulp mill will cease operations by the end of the fourth quarter of 2026. The closure
BCJul 14, 2026

35-year-old West Vancouver man charged in alleged residential break-ins

A 35-year-old West Vancouver man is facing multiple charges in connection with a series of alleged residential break-ins and related property crimes in the Northgate neighbourhood, according to West Vancouver Police. Police said the investigation stems from incidents reported on April 23, when officers received complaints of residential break-ins, thefts from vehicles and the unauthorized use of a stolen credit card. Investigators later arrested Louis Muelfarth in connection with the case. He was released on April 25 on conditions, including a requirement to appear in court on July 15. Accordi

Just In

b-c-governments-decision-to-shut-public-employee-directory-sparks-transparency-debate
BCAug 19, 2026

B.C. Government’s Decision to Shut Public Employee Directory Sparks Transparency Debate

The B.C. government’s decision under Premier David Eby to suddenly shut down its online directory of government employees to the general public has sparked a political controversy in the province. Opposition parties have accused the government of hiding information from the public and undermining transparency. The government, however, says the decision was made to protect employees’ safety, privacy and cybersecurity. Through the directory, members of the public could previously find out which employees worked in different government departments, their positions and how to contact them. Lan
poilievre-targets-liberal-government-over-catch-and-release-bail-system
CanadaAug 19, 2026

Poilievre Targets Liberal Government Over ‘Catch-and-Release’ Bail System

The issue of bail for serious offenders in Canada has once again come under the spotlight. Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre has criticized the Liberal government, accusing it of allowing dangerous offenders to remain in the community because of what he calls weak bail laws. Poilievre pointed to a recent incident in Windsor, Ont., involving 22-year-old Qasim Sabi, who has been accused of sexually assaulting two young boys. Police say Sabi was already facing allegations in an earlier case and was out under court-ordered conditions when the latest incidents allegedly occurred. According to po
canadas-wildfire-season-could-rank-among-countrys-worst-on-record
CanadaAug 19, 2026

Canada’s wildfire season could rank among country’s worst on record

Canada’s 2026 wildfire season is on track to become the country’s fourth-worst on record, with millions of hectares already affected and hundreds of fires still active. Federal Emergency Management Minister Eleanor Olszewski said during a virtual briefing Tuesday evening that the country remains in the middle of the wildfire season, with some regions facing difficult and uncertain conditions. According to the federal government, about 4.1 million hectares have been affected by wildfires so far this season. Roughly 580 fires are currently active across Canada, including about 30 that remain
b-c-conservative-leader-attacks-eby-government-over-forestry-decline
BCAug 18, 2026

B.C. Conservative Leader Attacks Eby Government Over Forestry Decline

B.C. Conservative Party Leader John Rustad has accused Premier David Eby of blaming U.S. President Donald Trump’s tariffs for the province’s forestry-sector decline in an attempt to hide his government’s own failures. In a statement Tuesday, Rustad said U.S. tariffs are harmful and should be strongly opposed. However, he said forestry production in B.C.’s Interior began declining as early as 2016, long before Trump returned to office, and has now fallen by about 50 per cent. According to Rustad, poor provincial policies, permit processes that can take two to three years, and uncertaint
trumps-presidency-delays-quebec-sovereignty-referendum-says-parti-québécois
CanadaAug 18, 2026

Trump’s Presidency Delays Quebec Sovereignty Referendum, Says Parti Québécois

Parti Québécois leader Paul St-Pierre Plamondon says his party would not hold a referendum on Quebec sovereignty while Donald Trump remains president of the United States. St-Pierre Plamondon says the party still intends to hold a referendum on whether Quebec should separate from Canada during its first mandate if elected. However, he says such a crucial decision about Quebec’s future requires a clear and calm debate. He says the referendum debate should not be disrupted by American politics or unexpected announcements from the U.S. president. According to St-Pierre Plamondon, the unpredic