17.39°C Vancouver

Jul 21, 2025 11:02 AM - The Associated Press

568 people survived after an Indonesian passenger ferry caught fire at sea, killing 3

Share On
568-people-survived-after-an-indonesian-passenger-ferry-caught-fire-at-sea-killing-3
Indonesia isan archipelagoof more than 17,000 islands where ferries are a common method of travel. Disasters occur regularly, with weak safety enforcement often blamed.(Photo - The Canadian Press)

Indonesian rescuers evacuating people from a passenger ferry thatcaught fireat sea said Monday more than 560 were rescued and three died.

The KM Barcelona 5 caught fire around midday Sunday while heading to Manado, the capital of North Sulawesi province, on its regular half-day journey from Melonguane port in Talaud Islands district in the same province, according to First Adm. Franky Pasuna Sihombing, chief of the Manado navy base.

A coast guard ship, six rescue vessels and several inflatable boats were deployed in the rescue operation, Sihombing said. The crews pulled many people from the sea and took them to nearby islands, and local fishermen also saved some survivors wearing life jackets as they were drifting in the choppy waters.

Photos and videos circulated on social media showed terrified passengers, mostly wearing life jackets, jumping into the sea as orange flames and black smoke billowed from the burning vessel.

There were no immediate reports of injuries and people still missing. Authorities previously said five people had died, but the National Search and Rescue Agency revised it to three early Monday after two passengers initially reported as dead were saved in a hospital, including a 2-month-old baby whose lungs were filled with seawater.

The fire that began in the ferry's stern was extinguished within an hour, Sihombing said. The ferry's manifest initially registered only 280 passengers and 15 crew members but the national rescue agency confirmed 568 survivors had been rescued and three bodies recovered, including a pregnant woman.

It is common for the number of passengers on a boat or ferry to differ from the manifest in Indonesia. This discrepancy can contribute to accidents and can complicate search and rescue efforts, Sihombing said.

Indonesia isan archipelagoof more than 17,000 islands where ferries are a common method of travel. Disasters occur regularly, with weak safety enforcement often blamed.

A speedboat carrying 18 people capsizedduring a storm July 14, and all its occupants were found rescued by the next day. Earlier in the month,a ferry sanknear Indonesia’s resort island of Bali, leaving at least 19 dead and 16 others missing. A two-week search operation involved more than 600 rescuers, three navy ships, 15 boats, a helicopter and divers.

Latest news

federal-government-restores-full-health-coverage-for-refugees-and-asylum-claimants
CanadaAug 06, 2026

Federal government restores full health coverage for refugees and asylum claimants

The federal government under Prime Minister Mark Carney has reversed recent cuts to health coverage for refugees and asylum claimants, restoring full benefits under the Interim Federal Health Program. New rules introduced on May 1, 2026 required eligible refugees to pay a $4 co-payment for prescription medications. The changes also required them to cover 30 per cent of the cost of supplemental services, including dental care, vision care, physiotherapy and mental health services. The policy drew criticism from frontline physicians, human rights organizations and community advocates, who argued
rcmp-warn-western-canada-trucking-businesses-about-credit-card-fraud-scheme
CanadaAug 06, 2026

RCMP warn Western Canada trucking businesses about credit card fraud scheme

The Saskatchewan RCMP is warning trucking and transportation-related businesses across Western Canada about a credit card fraud scheme targeting commercial suppliers. According to an RCMP news release, suspects are contacting businesses by phone and using fraudulent credit cards to purchase truck tires, engine oil, trailer parts and other high-value items. Police say the fraud typically begins with a phone order and payment by credit card. The initial transaction may appear as approved or pending, prompting businesses to ship the goods by courier. After the shipment is delivered, the credit ca
rustad-criticizes-b-c-premiers-public-response-as-wildfire-evacuations-continue
BCAug 06, 2026

Rustad criticizes B.C. premier's public response as wildfire evacuations continue

B.C. Conservative Leader John Rustad has criticized Premier David Eby over his public response as thousands of people across British Columbia remain under evacuation orders because of ongoing wildfires. Rustad said it was unacceptable that the premier had not addressed the public while many residents remain displaced and families are uncertain whether their homes have survived. He described the situation as a failure of leadership, saying people affected by the fires expect clear answers and support from the province's top elected official. According to statements released by the B.C. Conserva
modi-netanyahu-discuss-west-asia-developments-in-phone-call
IndiaAug 06, 2026

Modi, Netanyahu discuss West Asia developments in phone call

Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu spoke by telephone on Thursday to discuss recent developments in West Asia and the current regional situation. According to information released by Indian authorities, the two leaders also reviewed ongoing cooperation under the India–Israel Strategic Partnership. They reaffirmed their commitment to strengthening bilateral cooperation across multiple sectors. The conversation comes as both countries continue regular high-level engagement on regional and bilateral issues. Prime Minister Modi last spoke with Netan
toronto-police-arrest-two-youths-in-second-shooting-at-u-s-consulate
CanadaAug 06, 2026

Toronto police arrest two youths in second shooting at U.S. Consulate

Toronto Police say they have arrested two youths in connection with the second recent shooting targeting the United States Consulate in Toronto, including one suspect who is 15 years old. Speaking at a news conference Thursday, Toronto Police Chief Myron Demkiw said the arrests relate to the July 27 shooting. The two suspects are facing multiple charges, including allegedly breaching court-ordered release conditions. Police have not released their identities because of legal restrictions, including provisions that protect the identity of young persons. According to Toronto Police, investigator

Related News