23.4°C Vancouver

News

CanadaJul 08, 2026

WSO welcomes Operation Hard Ball arrests, says questions remain about alleged role of Indian authorities

The World Sikh Organization of Canada (WSO) has welcomed Operation Hard Ball, a joint law enforcement initiative by authorities in the United States, Canada and Europe targeting the Lawrence Bishnoi network and other India-based organized crime groups. In a statement, WSO President Danish Singh said the arrests made through the operation represent an important step but argued that questions remain about how Lawrence Bishnoi was allegedly able to operate an international criminal network while in custody in India. Singh also called for scrutiny of whether any Indian officials played a role in f
AlbertaJul 08, 2026

Edmonton city councillor's son among 28 arrested in international child sexual abuse material investigation

Rocco Caterina, the son of former Edmonton city councillor Tony Caterina, has been charged following an international investigation into online child sexual abuse material. According to investigators, the 40-year-old was arrested on May 27 at his home in Stony Plain, Alta. He is charged with accessing and possessing child sexual abuse material. The allegations have not been proven in court. Authorities said the arrest was part of an international operation led by the Norwegian National Criminal Investigation Service. The investigation resulted in 28 arrests across 14 countries. Investigators a
punjab-cm-bhagwant-mann-urges-voters-to-complete-special-intensive-revision-process
IndiaJul 08, 2026

Punjab CM Bhagwant Mann urges voters to complete Special Intensive Revision process

Punjab Chief Minister Bhagwant Mann has urged eligible voters across the state to participate in the Election Commission of India's ongoing Special Intensive Revision (SIR) of electoral rolls and complete the required forms to ensure their names remain on the voter list. In a video message issued from Bengaluru, Mann said the Election Commission's voter list revision exercise is underway and appealed to residents to verify their details by submitting the prescribed forms. According to the chief minister, the process is intended to keep electoral rolls updated. Mann also claimed that individual
WorldJul 08, 2026

NATO leaders announce €70B in military aid for Ukraine as summit concludes

NATO member countries have pledged €70 billion in military assistance for Ukraine following the conclusion of a two-day NATO summit in Ankara, according to a joint declaration issued after the meeting. The alliance said it will increase investment to strengthen the deployment, operation and long-term readiness of its armed forces. The declaration states that NATO plans to expand capabilities in long-range precision strike weapons, air and missile defence systems, drones, advanced technologies and intelligence operations. Separately, U.S. President Donald Trump announced that the United State
AlbertaJul 08, 2026

Mount Royal University investigates cyberattack after student, employee data compromised

Mount Royal University says it is investigating a cyberattack that resulted in some student and employee information being accessed, while other departmental data was deleted. According to a statement from the university, affected students and employees were notified on June 18. The university said some data was both accessed and removed, while certain departmental information was deleted without evidence that it had been viewed. The university said it may not be possible to fully recover all affected data. As a precaution, it is offering eligible individuals credit monitoring and identity the
carney-voices-support-for-u-s-action-on-iran-during-nato-summit-according-to-report
CanadaJul 08, 2026

Carney voices support for U.S. action on Iran during NATO summit, according to report

Prime Minister Mark Carney expressed support for recent U.S. military strikes on Iran during a NATO summit in Ankara, according to the information provided. The reported remarks described the military action as an appropriate response to alleged ceasefire violations. According to the report, Carney said Iran had continued targeting locations in Saudi Arabia and Qatar in what he characterized as irresponsible actions, adding that the U.S. response had become necessary. The report also said U.S. President Donald Trump announced an end to a ceasefire with Iran and criticized NATO allies, accusing
three-youths-arrested-after-entering-abbotsford-construction-site-police-seize-bb-guns-and-counterfeit-cash
BCJul 08, 2026

Three youths arrested after entering Abbotsford construction site, police seize BB guns and counterfeit cash

Three youths were arrested after allegedly entering a construction site in Abbotsford overnight, where police say they were found hiding on a large crane following an alarm activation. According to the Abbotsford Police Department, patrol officers responded to the site after an alarm was triggered and located three suspects, ages 14 and 15, who had allegedly entered the property without authorization. During a search, officers seized three BB guns and more than $11,000 in counterfeit Canadian currency. Police said the investigation remains ongoing. The allegations have not been tested in court
public-safety-minister-says-operation-hard-ball-delivers-major-blow-to-organized-crime-networks
CanadaJul 08, 2026

Public Safety Minister says Operation Hard Ball delivers major blow to organized crime networks

Canada's Minister of Public Safety, Gary Anandasangaree, says a joint FBI and RCMP investigation known as "Operation Hard Ball" has dealt a significant blow to three transnational organized crime groups, including the Lawrence Bishnoi and Jaggu Bhagwanpuria gangs. He said individuals involved in intimidation and violent criminal activity in Canada will continue to face enforcement action. According to the minister, authorities have made 24 arrests worldwide as part of the operation, including three arrests in Canada. He said the coordinated investigation has disrupted criminal networks accused
u-s-says-24-arrested-in-global-organized-crime-investigation-linked-to-nijjar-killing
CanadaJul 08, 2026

Joint operation by RCMP and FBI to take down organized crime groups

Canada's RCMP Commissioner Mike Duheme told a press conference in Los Angeles on Tuesday, in presence of the Federal Bureau of Investigation representatives, that 24 arrests have been made and several charges have been laid in connection with global organized crime networks. The RCMP released a news release after the press conference in which it named Lawrence Bishnoi, Ravinder Dhanda and Jaggu Bhagwanpuria about the crimes in Canada. The statement suggested that the groups and individuals are involved in crimes such as extortion, drug trafficking, kidnapping and violence in Canada and the US

Just In

b-c-conservative-leader-attacks-eby-government-over-forestry-decline
BCAug 18, 2026

B.C. Conservative Leader Attacks Eby Government Over Forestry Decline

B.C. Conservative Party Leader John Rustad has accused Premier David Eby of blaming U.S. President Donald Trump’s tariffs for the province’s forestry-sector decline in an attempt to hide his government’s own failures. In a statement Tuesday, Rustad said U.S. tariffs are harmful and should be strongly opposed. However, he said forestry production in B.C.’s Interior began declining as early as 2016, long before Trump returned to office, and has now fallen by about 50 per cent. According to Rustad, poor provincial policies, permit processes that can take two to three years, and uncertaint
trumps-presidency-delays-quebec-sovereignty-referendum-says-parti-québécois
CanadaAug 18, 2026

Trump’s Presidency Delays Quebec Sovereignty Referendum, Says Parti Québécois

Parti Québécois leader Paul St-Pierre Plamondon says his party would not hold a referendum on Quebec sovereignty while Donald Trump remains president of the United States. St-Pierre Plamondon says the party still intends to hold a referendum on whether Quebec should separate from Canada during its first mandate if elected. However, he says such a crucial decision about Quebec’s future requires a clear and calm debate. He says the referendum debate should not be disrupted by American politics or unexpected announcements from the U.S. president. According to St-Pierre Plamondon, the unpredic
AlbertaAug 18, 2026

Sentencing Arguments Begin for Man Convicted of Sexually Assaulting Three Women

Sentencing arguments begin today for 62-year-old Richard Mantha, who was convicted of sexually assaulting three vulnerable women and drugging one of them. Mantha was found guilty of six offences following a trial that lasted more than two years. The full day has been set aside for the Crown and defence to present their arguments on what sentence he should receive. He was convicted of two counts of sexual assault, as well as choking while committing a sexual assault and administering a noxious substance. Mantha was also found guilty of assault with a weapon and uttering threats against a fourth
BCAug 18, 2026

Goldstream Falls swimming incident: 27-year-old man dies

A 27-year-old man has died after getting into distress while swimming near Goldstream Falls in Goldstream Provincial Park on Monday evening. West Shore RCMP said officers responded to the incident at around 7:35 p.m. on August 17. The man reportedly went underwater while swimming near the waterfall and did not resurface. Bystanders pulled him from the water and immediately began life-saving measures. Police, BC Emergency Health Services and Langford Fire Department later arrived and continued the emergency response. The man was taken to hospital for further treatment but later succumbed to his
poilievre-attacks-carney-government-over-ev-mandate
BCAug 18, 2026

Poilievre Attacks Carney Government Over EV Mandate

Canada’s main opposition leader, Pierre Poilievre, has launched a strong attack on Prime Minister Mark Carney’s government over its electric vehicle policy. Poilievre alleges that while the government is moving to scrap the existing EV sales mandate, it is planning to bring back a similar requirement through the “back door” using tougher emissions standards. According to a notice published in the Canada Gazette, the government has recently started the process of repealing the previous EV Sales Mandate, which required 20 per cent of new vehicles sold in 2026 to be electric. Reacting to