16.01°C Vancouver

News

fuel-price-hike-commuters-urge-govt-to-provide-relief
IndiaJul 15, 2021

Fuel price hike: Commuters urge govt to provide relief

The petrol prices were hiked in India on July 15 while diesel rates also followed a similar trend.The petrol prices touched Rs 100 mark in several cities of the country.Commuters urged government to provide some relief as fuel prices continue to soar.Petrol price in the national capital rose to Rs 101.54 per litre on Thursday. Diesel sold at Rs 89.87 per litre.In Mumbai, the retail price of both petrol and diesel stood at Rs 107.54 and 97.45 respectively. As for Bhopal, petrol price stood at Rs 109.89 per litre and diesel cost Rs 98.67 per litre. Kolkata reported Rs 101.74 per litre for petrol
aiims-prepares-for-possible-covid-19-third-wave-trains-nursing-staff-in-pediatric-care
IndiaJul 14, 2021

AIIMS prepares for possible COVID-19 third wave, trains nursing staff in pediatric care

As part of its efforts to prepare for a third possible COVID-19 wave, nurses at the All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS) in Delhi are undergoing a three-day training programme at the hospital's pediatric department.The rotational training programme began on July 12 and was done in three batches over three days, sources told ANI. They added that training will be imparted to nurses from all wards of the hospital's COVID-19 department.AIIMS Delhi College of Nursing is coordinating the programme.During the devastating second COVID-19 wave earlier this year, the country saw children gett
farmers-protest-on-july-22-outside-parliament-will-be-peaceful-says-rakesh-tikait
IndiaJul 14, 2021

Farmers' protest on July 22 outside Parliament will be peaceful, says Rakesh Tikait

Ahead of the planned protest of the farmers outside Parliament on July 22, Bharatiya Kisan Union (BKU) leader Rakesh Tikait on Wednesday said the protest would be ''peaceful' despite the country witnessing violence on Republic Day when protestors reached Red Fort as a part of their 'tractor rally' protest.The protest will be held between the scheduled dates of the monsoon session, which is said to commence on July 19 and conclude by August 13."It will be a peaceful protest. We will sit outside the Parliament while proceedings will continue in the House," Tikait told ANI.He further said 200 peo
delhi-reports-45-fresh-covid-19-cases-lowest-in-1-25-years
IndiaJul 13, 2021

Delhi reports 45 fresh COVID-19 cases, lowest in 1.25 years

With 45 fresh COVID-19 cases in the last 24 hours, Delhi has reported the lowest coronavirus daily count after about 1.25 years, health minister Satyendar Jain informed on Tuesday.While speaking to reporters, Jain further informed that the positivity rate is slightly below 0.1 per cent, and there are currently 693 active cases in the capital. "There were 45 COVID-positive cases in Delhi yesterday, which is the lowest count in 1.25 years. The positivity rate is slightly below 1 per cent and there are 693 active cases," Jain said while urging people to continue to follow COVID precautions.Delhi
1983-world-cup-winner-yashpal-sharma-dies-of-cardiac-arrest
IndiaJul 13, 2021

1983 World Cup winner Yashpal Sharma dies of cardiac arrest

Former Indian cricketer and 1983 World Cup winner Yashpal Sharma passed away on Tuesday due to a cardiac arrest."Yashpal Sharma passed away around 7:40 in the morning due to cardiac arrest. He was declared dead on arrival," sources close to the family told ANI.Yashpal had made his debut for India in 1978 against Pakistan in Sialkot. He scored 11 runs off 26 balls as Pakistan defeated India by eight wickets.The 66-year-old former cricketer played his first game in the longest format in 1979 against England at Lord's. The right-handed batsman played 37 Tests and 42 ODIs for India, scoring 1606 a
deep-sidhu-appears-before-delhi-court-in-red-fort-violence-case
IndiaJul 12, 2021

Deep Sidhu appears before Delhi Court in Red Fort violence case

Deep Sidhu and others accused appeared via video conferencing before the Delhi Court on Monday in connection with the Red Fort violence case on Republic Day.Deep Sidhu and other accused appeared before Chief Metropolitan Magistrate Gajender Singh Nagar.One accused Mohinder Singh Khalsa did not appear before the court due to medical conditions. Khalsa moved an application through advocate Vir Sandhu, seeking exemption from personal appearance due to medical conditions, which was allowed by the court.The court directed Delhi Police to provide chargesheet to all accused persons and listed the mat
pm-modi-receives-first-copy-of-book-the-ramayana-of-shri-guru-gobind-singh-ji
IndiaJul 09, 2021

PM Modi receives first copy of book 'The Ramayana of Shri Guru Gobind Singh Ji'

Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Friday received the first copy of the book 'The Ramayana of Shri Guru Gobind Singh Ji' penned by Late Baljit Kaur Tulsi.Rajya Sabha MP KTS Tulsi handed over the book to Prime Minister Narendra Modi in presence of his daughter Japna Tulsi and granddaughter Mukti Tulsi.Indian classical dancer and BJP MP Sonal Mansingh was also present.Taking to Twitter, PM Modi said the book has been published by the Indira Gandhi National Centre for the Arts (IGNCA)."Received the first copy of the book, 'The Ramayana of Shri Guru Gobind Singh Ji' penned by Late Mrs. Baljit Kaur T
india-administers-over-36-89-cr-covid-vaccines-doses-so-far
IndiaJul 09, 2021

India administers over 36.89 cr COVID vaccines doses so far

India's cumulative COVID-19 vaccination coverage has exceeded 36,89,91,222, as per the provisional report till 7 am on Friday.40,23,173 vaccine doses were administered in the last 24 hours, as per the Ministry of Health.On day-174 of the vaccination drive on July 8, out of the total 40,23,173 vaccine doses that were given, 27,01,200 beneficiaries were vaccinated for 1st dose and 13,21,973 beneficiaries received second dose of vaccine.20,31,634 vaccine doses were administered as the first dose and 1,79,901 vaccine doses given as the second dose in the age group 18-44 years yesterday, the minist
army-chief-naravane-discusses-bilateral-defence-cooperation-with-italian-defence-minister
IndiaJul 08, 2021

Army Chief Naravane discusses bilateral defence cooperation with Italian Defence Minister

Indian Army Chief General MM Naravane on Thursday met Italian Defence Minister Lorenzo Guerini and exchanged views on strengthening defence cooperation between both countries.In a tweet, Additional Directorate General of Public Information, IHQ of MoD (Army) said that "General MM Naravane #COAS called on Italian Defence Minister Hon'ble Lorenzo Guerini and exchanged views on strengthening India-Italy defence cooperation.He also interacted with Lieutenant General Pietro Serino, Chief of the Italian Army and discussed aspects of joint military cooperation.Chief of Army Staff on Wednesday began a

Just In

b-c-conservative-leader-attacks-eby-government-over-forestry-decline
BCAug 18, 2026

B.C. Conservative Leader Attacks Eby Government Over Forestry Decline

B.C. Conservative Party Leader John Rustad has accused Premier David Eby of blaming U.S. President Donald Trump’s tariffs for the province’s forestry-sector decline in an attempt to hide his government’s own failures. In a statement Tuesday, Rustad said U.S. tariffs are harmful and should be strongly opposed. However, he said forestry production in B.C.’s Interior began declining as early as 2016, long before Trump returned to office, and has now fallen by about 50 per cent. According to Rustad, poor provincial policies, permit processes that can take two to three years, and uncertaint
trumps-presidency-delays-quebec-sovereignty-referendum-says-parti-québécois
CanadaAug 18, 2026

Trump’s Presidency Delays Quebec Sovereignty Referendum, Says Parti Québécois

Parti Québécois leader Paul St-Pierre Plamondon says his party would not hold a referendum on Quebec sovereignty while Donald Trump remains president of the United States. St-Pierre Plamondon says the party still intends to hold a referendum on whether Quebec should separate from Canada during its first mandate if elected. However, he says such a crucial decision about Quebec’s future requires a clear and calm debate. He says the referendum debate should not be disrupted by American politics or unexpected announcements from the U.S. president. According to St-Pierre Plamondon, the unpredic
AlbertaAug 18, 2026

Sentencing Arguments Begin for Man Convicted of Sexually Assaulting Three Women

Sentencing arguments begin today for 62-year-old Richard Mantha, who was convicted of sexually assaulting three vulnerable women and drugging one of them. Mantha was found guilty of six offences following a trial that lasted more than two years. The full day has been set aside for the Crown and defence to present their arguments on what sentence he should receive. He was convicted of two counts of sexual assault, as well as choking while committing a sexual assault and administering a noxious substance. Mantha was also found guilty of assault with a weapon and uttering threats against a fourth
BCAug 18, 2026

Goldstream Falls swimming incident: 27-year-old man dies

A 27-year-old man has died after getting into distress while swimming near Goldstream Falls in Goldstream Provincial Park on Monday evening. West Shore RCMP said officers responded to the incident at around 7:35 p.m. on August 17. The man reportedly went underwater while swimming near the waterfall and did not resurface. Bystanders pulled him from the water and immediately began life-saving measures. Police, BC Emergency Health Services and Langford Fire Department later arrived and continued the emergency response. The man was taken to hospital for further treatment but later succumbed to his
poilievre-attacks-carney-government-over-ev-mandate
BCAug 18, 2026

Poilievre Attacks Carney Government Over EV Mandate

Canada’s main opposition leader, Pierre Poilievre, has launched a strong attack on Prime Minister Mark Carney’s government over its electric vehicle policy. Poilievre alleges that while the government is moving to scrap the existing EV sales mandate, it is planning to bring back a similar requirement through the “back door” using tougher emissions standards. According to a notice published in the Canada Gazette, the government has recently started the process of repealing the previous EV Sales Mandate, which required 20 per cent of new vehicles sold in 2026 to be electric. Reacting to