16.1°C Vancouver

News

teen-missing-presumed-drowned-after-boat-capsizes-near-quesnel
BCJun 09, 2026

Teen missing, presumed drowned after boat capsizes near Quesnel

A 17-year-old from Prince George is presumed drowned after a boat carrying four people capsized on Stony Lake in British Columbia's central Interior, according to RCMP. Quesnel RCMP said three people aboard the vessel were able to reach shore safely after the incident. However, the boat's operator did not resurface and remains missing. Police identified the missing person as a 17-year-old male from Prince George. His family has been notified, RCMP said. Search efforts remained underway Tuesday. According to police, an underwater recovery team was expected to arrive at the lake to assist in the
german-energy-firm-signals-interest-in-lng-supply-from-proposed-ksi-lisims-project
BCJun 08, 2026

German Energy Firm Signals Interest in LNG Supply from Proposed Ksi Lisims Project

A second German energy company has expressed interest in purchasing liquefied natural gas from the proposed Ksi Lisims LNG project on British Columbia’s North Coast. Project partners announced they have signed a memorandum of understanding with Germany-based Uniper that could see the company purchase up to two million tonnes of LNG annually beginning in 2032. The agreement is non-binding and remains subject to further negotiations and project development. The announcement follows a separate deal reached last month between Ksi Lisims LNG and German energy company SEFE. Under that agreement, S
vancouver-police-seize-drugs-cash-and-weapons-in-downtown-eastside-trafficking-investigation
BCJun 05, 2026

Vancouver police seize drugs, cash and weapons in Downtown Eastside trafficking investigation

Vancouver Police say officers seized more than $79,000 worth of illegal drugs, cash and weapons following a targeted drug trafficking investigation in the city's Downtown Eastside. According to a Vancouver Police Department release, the operation, known as Project Bingo, began in December 2025 after investigators observed suspected drug trafficking activity at a single-room occupancy (SRO) building near East Hastings Street and Princess Avenue. Police said investigators spent approximately six months gathering evidence before executing a search warrant at the building last month. Officers repo
no-injuries-reported-after-shots-fired-from-moving-vehicle-at-nanaimo-park
BCJun 05, 2026

No injuries reported after shots fired from moving vehicle at Nanaimo park

Nanaimo RCMP are investigating after shots were reportedly fired from a moving vehicle toward people gathered at a local park on Wednesday evening. According to police, the incident occurred at about 8:40 p.m. at Knowles Park near the intersection of Old Victoria Road and Rainier Street. Witnesses reported that the suspects were travelling in a white Audi vehicle carrying multiple occupants. Police said the vehicle left the area immediately after the shooting. No injuries were reported. Investigators believe the shooting was targeted and not a random attack on members of the public. RCMP have
BCJun 05, 2026

B.C. adds 25,000 jobs in May as unemployment rate holds at 6.8%

British Columbia added 25,000 jobs in May, according to the latest Labour Force Survey released by Statistics Canada, reversing part of the employment losses recorded earlier this year. The gain follows a three-month period from February through April during which the province lost approximately 40,000 jobs. Despite the increase in employment, B.C.'s overall unemployment rate remained unchanged at 6.8 per cent. According to Statistics Canada data, much of the job growth was concentrated in the construction and manufacturing sectors. B.C. Jobs, Economic Development and Innovation Minister Ravi
richmond-rcmp-officer-charged-with-theft-and-breach-of-trust
BCJun 05, 2026

Richmond RCMP officer charged with theft and breach of trust

A Richmond RCMP officer has been charged with theft and breach of trust following an independent police investigation into an alleged incident that occurred on Christmas Day last year. According to the BC Prosecution Service, Const. Jae Suk Choi of the Richmond RCMP has been charged with one count of theft under $5,000 and one count of breach of trust by a public officer. The charges follow an investigation conducted by Coquitlam RCMP. Authorities said the matter relates to an alleged incident in Richmond on Dec. 25, 2025. No further details about the allegations have been released publicly. C
b-c-mla-jordan-kealy-charged-with-sexual-assault
BCJun 04, 2026

B.C. MLA Jordan Kealy charged with sexual assault

Independent B.C. legislator Jordan Kealy has been charged with sexual assault, according to the British Columbia Prosecution Service. The prosecution service said the charge relates to an alleged offence or offences that occurred between Jan. 1 and Sept. 20, 2024, in Fort St. John. The allegation has not been tested in court. Kealy represents the Peace River North riding in the B.C. legislature. The prosecution service said a special prosecutor was appointed following an RCMP investigation to help ensure the administration of justice remains free from any perceived improper influence. Accordin
single-vehicle-crash-on-highway-11-leaves-three-seriously-injured-abbotsford-police-investigating
BCJun 04, 2026

Single-Vehicle Crash on Highway 11 Leaves Three Seriously Injured, Abbotsford Police Investigating

Abbotsford police are investigating a serious single-vehicle collision that left three people injured, including one person who was airlifted to hospital in life-threatening condition. According to an Abbotsford Police Department release, patrol officers responded to the crash at approximately 12:14 a.m. on June 1 near Highway 11 and Townshipline Road. Emergency crews found a black Chrysler 300 with extensive damage and three occupants suffering from serious injuries. All three were transported to hospital for treatment, police said. The investigation is being led by the Abbotsford Police Depa
BCJun 04, 2026

B.C. Review Board grants conditional discharge to man found not criminally responsible in deaths of three children

The British Columbia Review Board has granted a conditional discharge to a man who was found not criminally responsible for the deaths of his three children in Merritt, B.C. Allen Schoenborn killed his three children in 2008. The children, aged five, eight and 10, died after being stabbed and suffocated. In 2010, a court ruled that Schoenborn was not criminally responsible for the killings because of a mental disorder. According to decisions of the B.C. Review Board, Schoenborn must continue receiving psychiatric treatment while on conditional discharge. The board may also require him to resid

Just In

b-c-conservative-leader-attacks-eby-government-over-forestry-decline
BCAug 18, 2026

B.C. Conservative Leader Attacks Eby Government Over Forestry Decline

B.C. Conservative Party Leader John Rustad has accused Premier David Eby of blaming U.S. President Donald Trump’s tariffs for the province’s forestry-sector decline in an attempt to hide his government’s own failures. In a statement Tuesday, Rustad said U.S. tariffs are harmful and should be strongly opposed. However, he said forestry production in B.C.’s Interior began declining as early as 2016, long before Trump returned to office, and has now fallen by about 50 per cent. According to Rustad, poor provincial policies, permit processes that can take two to three years, and uncertaint
trumps-presidency-delays-quebec-sovereignty-referendum-says-parti-québécois
CanadaAug 18, 2026

Trump’s Presidency Delays Quebec Sovereignty Referendum, Says Parti Québécois

Parti Québécois leader Paul St-Pierre Plamondon says his party would not hold a referendum on Quebec sovereignty while Donald Trump remains president of the United States. St-Pierre Plamondon says the party still intends to hold a referendum on whether Quebec should separate from Canada during its first mandate if elected. However, he says such a crucial decision about Quebec’s future requires a clear and calm debate. He says the referendum debate should not be disrupted by American politics or unexpected announcements from the U.S. president. According to St-Pierre Plamondon, the unpredic
AlbertaAug 18, 2026

Sentencing Arguments Begin for Man Convicted of Sexually Assaulting Three Women

Sentencing arguments begin today for 62-year-old Richard Mantha, who was convicted of sexually assaulting three vulnerable women and drugging one of them. Mantha was found guilty of six offences following a trial that lasted more than two years. The full day has been set aside for the Crown and defence to present their arguments on what sentence he should receive. He was convicted of two counts of sexual assault, as well as choking while committing a sexual assault and administering a noxious substance. Mantha was also found guilty of assault with a weapon and uttering threats against a fourth
BCAug 18, 2026

Goldstream Falls swimming incident: 27-year-old man dies

A 27-year-old man has died after getting into distress while swimming near Goldstream Falls in Goldstream Provincial Park on Monday evening. West Shore RCMP said officers responded to the incident at around 7:35 p.m. on August 17. The man reportedly went underwater while swimming near the waterfall and did not resurface. Bystanders pulled him from the water and immediately began life-saving measures. Police, BC Emergency Health Services and Langford Fire Department later arrived and continued the emergency response. The man was taken to hospital for further treatment but later succumbed to his
poilievre-attacks-carney-government-over-ev-mandate
BCAug 18, 2026

Poilievre Attacks Carney Government Over EV Mandate

Canada’s main opposition leader, Pierre Poilievre, has launched a strong attack on Prime Minister Mark Carney’s government over its electric vehicle policy. Poilievre alleges that while the government is moving to scrap the existing EV sales mandate, it is planning to bring back a similar requirement through the “back door” using tougher emissions standards. According to a notice published in the Canada Gazette, the government has recently started the process of repealing the previous EV Sales Mandate, which required 20 per cent of new vehicles sold in 2026 to be electric. Reacting to