20.05°C Vancouver

Mar 2, 2026 2:39 PM - Connect Newsroom - Jasmine Singh with files from The Canadian Press

Extortion charges laid after Surrey home targeted in shootings, one suspect sought by police

Share On
extortion-charges-laid-after-surrey-home-targeted-in-shootings-one-suspect-sought-by-police
The task force is investigating dozens of extortion files provincewide. In Surrey alone, officers have received 56 reports of extortion since the start of the year, police said. (Photo: The Canadian Press)

Three foreign nationals have been charged with extortion and firearms offences following shootings at a Surrey home in November, according to the Royal Canadian Mounted Police.

The charges were announced Friday by the B.C. RCMP-led Extortion Task Force, which was established to investigate a series of threats, shootings and arsons across British Columbia. Police have said the incidents have largely targeted members of the South Asian business community.

According to police, 22-year-old Avtar Singh, 28-year-old Sandeep Singh and 24-year-old Jagdeep Singh are charged with extortion and unlawfully discharging a firearm in connection with shots fired at a home in Surrey on Nov. 8 and again four days later. Avtar Singh had already been charged in December with unlawfully discharging a firearm in a related matter.

Police said Avtar Singh and Sandeep Singh remain in custody. Jagdeep Singh’s whereabouts are unknown. He is wanted by police and by the Canada Border Services Agency on an immigration warrant.

The task force is investigating dozens of extortion files provincewide. In Surrey alone, officers have received 56 reports of extortion since the start of the year, police said.

Police have not released further details about the allegations, which have not been tested in court. Anyone with information is asked to contact Surrey RCMP or Crime Stoppers.

Context: Police say the investigation is focused on a pattern of violence and threats affecting businesses, particularly within Surrey’s South Asian community. The Extortion Task Force continues to coordinate enforcement and intelligence efforts across the province.

Latest news

poilievre-says-conservatives-would-campaign-against-alberta-separation-referendum
CanadaMay 21, 2026

Poilievre says Conservatives would campaign against Alberta separation referendum

Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre says he and all Conservative MPs would campaign to keep Alberta in Canada if a referendum on separation is held in the province. Poilievre said the party would take the same position in Quebec if a Parti Québécois government were elected and moved ahead with a sovereignty referendum there. The comments come as Alberta Premier Danielle Smith is expected to deliver a televised address later today. Her United Conservative government is considering whether to include a question related to Alberta’s future within Canada in a series of referendums planned for
alberta-premier-to-deliver-televised-address-amid-renewed-separation-referendum-debate
AlbertaMay 21, 2026

Alberta premier to deliver televised address amid renewed separation referendum debate

Alberta Premier Danielle Smith is scheduled to deliver a televised address Thursday evening amid renewed political debate over a possible referendum on Alberta’s future within Confederation. The address is set to air at 6:45 p.m. on CTV, Global and Rogers television networks and will also be livestreamed on the premier’s social media channels. The appearance follows controversy at a United Conservative Party caucus committee meeting Wednesday, where members debated a motion urging Smith to call an Oct. 19 referendum on Alberta’s place in Canada. The motion, introduced by UCP member Nate
alberta-premier-danielle-smith-announces-cabinet-shuffle-amid-referendum-process
AlbertaMay 21, 2026

Alberta Premier Danielle Smith announces cabinet shuffle amid referendum process

Alberta Premier Danielle Smith announced a cabinet shuffle Thursday, with several senior ministers receiving new portfolios as the provincial government continues work related to a proposed referendum process in the province. Lieutenant Governor Salma Lakhani administered the oath of office to the newly appointed ministers during a ceremony in Edmonton. Jason Nixon was appointed Alberta’s new finance minister, while Adriana LaGrange returned to the hospitals and surgical health services portfolio. Tara Sawyer was named minister of agriculture and irrigation. Nathan Neudorf was appointed mini
carney-eby-discuss-fast-tracking-major-projects-during-vancouver-meeting
CanadaMay 21, 2026

Carney, Eby discuss fast-tracking major projects during Vancouver meeting

Prime Minister Mark Carney and British Columbia Premier David Eby held a closed-door meeting in Vancouver on Wednesday, where both leaders discussed a new co-operation agreement aimed at accelerating development projects across the province. Following the meeting, Carney said closer collaboration between federal and provincial governments would help strengthen Canada’s economy and move major projects forward more quickly. He said governments can achieve more when they work together and added that economic growth remains a priority. Earlier in the day, the prime minister addressed a business
unions-raise-concerns-over-possible-changes-to-federal-labour-laws-in-canada
CanadaMay 21, 2026

Unions raise concerns over possible changes to federal labour laws in Canada

Several Canadian unions are raising concerns over potential changes to federal labour laws being considered by Prime Minister Mark Carney’s government, warning the move could limit workers’ right to strike. According to reports, the federal government circulated a discussion paper on April 17 seeking feedback from selected stakeholders, including representatives from the airline, port, railway, telecommunications and banking sectors. Union groups say they are concerned the government could expand the number of workplaces classified as “essential services,” a designation that can restri

Related News