25.82°C Vancouver

News

pear-lake-and-fifteenmile-creek-wildfires-merge-as-evacuation-orders-expand-near-clinton-b-c
BCJul 27, 2026

Pear Lake and Fifteenmile Creek wildfires merge as evacuation orders expand near Clinton, B.C.

Two major wildfires burning near Clinton, B.C. have merged, increasing the combined fire area to approximately 670 square kilometres, according to the BC Wildfire Service. Officials say the merged Pear Lake and Fifteenmile Creek wildfires have damaged homes and other structures on the outskirts of the Clinton community. The full extent of the damage has not yet been confirmed. BC Wildfire Service Fire Information Officer Shae Stearns said firefighters continue working to protect homes in Clinton as crews respond to the fast-moving wildfire. Residents of Clinton were placed under an evacuation
abbotsford-police-release-sketch-of-suspect-in-attempted-child-abduction-investigation
BCJul 27, 2026

Abbotsford police release sketch of suspect in attempted child abduction investigation

Abbotsford Police have released a composite sketch of a suspect as part of an ongoing investigation into an attempted child abduction involving two young girls earlier this month. According to an Abbotsford Police news release, the incident occurred at about 5:30 p.m. on July 22 outside an apartment complex at 33538 Marshall Road. Police said two girls under the age of 10 were playing outside when an unidentified man allegedly attempted to persuade them to get into his vehicle. The suspect fled after one of the children called out to her parents. Police confirmed that neither child was physica
BCJul 24, 2026

Woman fatally shot in Toronto's Etobicoke; suspect arrested, police say

A woman was fatally shot in Toronto's Etobicoke neighbourhood early Saturday morning, and a suspect has been arrested, according to Toronto Police. Police said officers responded to reports of a shooting at about 7:20 a.m. near Humberwood Boulevard and Rexdale Boulevard. The woman was found with gunshot injuries and was pronounced dead. Police have not publicly identified the victim or the accused, and the investigation remains ongoing. An eyewitness told media the victim appeared to be a woman in her early 20s and was walking from a nearby bus stop when a man approached her from behind, brief
BCJul 24, 2026

Surrey Council to Vote on Contract for 56 New Speed Bumps Near Schools and Parks

The City of Surrey is moving ahead with plans to install 56 new speed bumps near schools and parks as part of efforts to improve safety for children and pedestrians. Surrey City Council is scheduled to vote Monday on a contract to carry out the project. According to the council agenda, the project will be funded through the City's 2026 transportation budget. If approved, installation is expected to begin later this month, with work targeted for completion by the end of September ahead of the new school year. The proposed construction schedule would allow work to take place Monday through Frida
BCJul 24, 2026

Livingstone Avenue closed through the weekend in Abbotsford for Highway 1 widening project

Abbotsford Police have issued a traffic advisory as construction continues on the Highway 1 widening project through the Fraser Valley. According to the B.C. Ministry of Transportation, Livingstone Avenue in Abbotsford will be fully closed through the weekend. The closure begins Friday and is expected to remain in effect until Monday morning. The affected section extends from east of Mall Access Road to west of Gardner Park. According to Abbotsford Police, access to local businesses and residential properties will be maintained throughout the closure. Motorists are encouraged to use alternate
BCJul 24, 2026

Wildfire smoke degrades air quality across parts of B.C.; warnings remain in effect

Smoke from ongoing wildfires in British Columbia continues to reduce air quality across several parts of the province, with Kelowna experiencing hazardous conditions on Thursday. According to IQAir, Kelowna's Air Quality Index (AQI) exceeded 300 at one point Thursday afternoon, making it the city with the poorest air quality in the world during that period. Earlier in the week, Ashcroft recorded Canada's worst air quality on Monday morning. Environment Canada has maintained high-impact air quality warnings for several regions, including the Fraser Canyon, Merritt and Kelowna. The agency says w
b-c-businesses-could-access-1-5b-federal-emergency-fund-if-new-u-s-tariffs-take-effect-eby-says
BCJul 24, 2026

B.C. businesses could access $1.5B federal emergency fund if new U.S. tariffs take effect, Eby says

British Columbia Premier David Eby says businesses affected by potential new U.S. tariffs would be eligible to access a $1.5 billion federal emergency fund if the measures are implemented. According to Eby, Prime Minister Mark Carney confirmed the regional emergency fund remains available to support provinces facing economic impacts from U.S. trade action. Eby said the funding could provide relief to B.C. industries if the United States proceeds with proposed tariffs on Canadian goods, including duties of up to 50 per cent on certain wood products beginning Aug. 19. The premier said uncertaint
lytton-b-c-hits-41-degrees-hottest-temperature-in-canada-this-year
BCJul 23, 2026

Lytton, B.C., hits 41 degrees, hottest temperature in Canada this year

The heat wave that has scorched southern British Columbia this week has seen temperatures pass 40 degrees for a second consecutive day in the Fraser Canyon, marking the two hottest temperatures recorded in Canada this year. Environment Canada says temperatures in Lytton hit 41.2 degrees on Wednesday, breaking a daily heat record set in 2006. Heat warnings that have blanketed the southern half of the province this week have receded, ending in Metro Vancouver, the Fraser Valley, the Sunshine Coast, portions of Vancouver Island and the North Coast. But more than 20 heat warnings remain in place,
BCJul 23, 2026

Wildfires prompt new evacuation orders as more than 80 blazes burn across British Columbia

Emergency evacuation orders have been issued for several areas of British Columbia as out-of-control wildfires continue to threaten communities across the province. More than 80 wildfires are currently active, and officials are urging residents to follow evacuation instructions and monitor emergency updates. According to the Squamish-Lillooet Regional District, overnight evacuation orders were issued for parts of the South Chilcotin Mountains area as wildfire conditions worsened. In Boston Bar, local authorities have also urged the remaining residents in the Fraser Canyon to leave immediately

Just In

18-year-old-shooting-suspect-turns-himself-in-to-burnaby-rcmp
BCAug 21, 2026

18-year-old shooting suspect turns himself in to Burnaby RCMP

A suspect wanted in connection with a December 2025 shooting in North Burnaby has turned himself in to authorities. Burnaby RCMP said officers responded on Dec. 19, 2025, to a report of a shooting near Phillips Avenue and Woodbrook Place. A man was found suffering from gunshot wounds and was taken to hospital for treatment. The RCMP’s Investigative Support Team took over the investigation. On Dec. 25, charges were laid and an arrest warrant was issued for 18-year-old Ronin Tajali. Tajali has since surrendered to police and remains in custody awaiting a bail hearing. Police thanked the public
AlbertaAug 21, 2026

Leaders Condemn Nanaksar Gurdwara Attack, Call for Action Against Anti-Sikh Hate

Federal NDP MP for Edmonton Strathcona Heather McPherson, along with leaders from across the country, has strongly condemned the attack at Nanaksar Gurdwara Sahib and expressed solidarity with the Sikh community. They called for a full investigation into the incident, urging authorities to take the growing anti-Sikh hatred in Canada seriously and implement stronger measures to protect places of worship. McPherson said everyone has the right to practise their religion freely and that such violent attacks are unacceptable under any circumstances. Meanwhile, Surrey-Newton MP Sukh Dhaliwal express
poilievre-warns-accepting-u-s-tariffs-could-devastate-canadas-industrial-sector
BCAug 21, 2026

Poilievre Warns Accepting U.S. Tariffs Could Devastate Canada’s Industrial Sector

Conservative Party Leader Pierre Poilievre has lashed out at the Liberal government during ongoing Canada-U.S. trade talks in Washington, warning that accepting unilateral U.S. tariffs could devastate Canada’s industrial sector. Speaking to reporters in Kitchener, Ontario, Poilievre strongly criticized the proposed 25 per cent U.S. tariffs on steel and aluminum. He said that if Canada accepts such discriminatory terms, major Canadian businesses and factories could leave the country, causing long-term damage to the Canadian economy. Taking aim at Prime Minister Mark Carney, Poilievre said Car
AlbertaAug 21, 2026

Edmonton Nanaksar Gurdwara Stabbing Leaves Two Injured, Suspect Arrested

A stabbing incident at Nanaksar Gurdwara Sahib in Edmonton early Friday morning left two people injured. Police have arrested a suspect at the scene. According to police, the incident occurred at around 5:08 a.m. at the gurdwara located near 14 Street and Horsehills Road. The two injured individuals were treated at the scene, and their injuries were considered non-life-threatening. Police are questioning the arrested suspect, while officers continue their investigation in and around the gurdwara to ensure the safety of the congregation. Meanwhile, the World Sikh Organization of Canada said in
42-year-old-man-charged-in-immigration-fraud-case-arrest-warrant-issued
CanadaAug 21, 2026

42-Year-Old Man Charged in Immigration Fraud Case, Arrest Warrant Issued

The Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) has laid five charges against 42-year-old Abul Qasim for allegedly helping people enter Canada illegally and committing immigration fraud. An arrest warrant has also been issued for him. According to the CBSA, Qasim previously lived in Montreal but left Canada in June 2025 and is believed to be currently outside the country. The arrest warrant was issued after he failed to appear in response to a summons issued by a Montreal court. The CBSA began investigating the alleged scheme in 2024 after receiving confidential information from Immigration, Refugees