21.19°C Vancouver

News

WorldAug 20, 2026

43 Dead, 16 Rescued After Boat Capsizes in Nigeria

At least 43 people have died after an overloaded boat capsized in Nigeria’s northwestern Sokoto state, while 16 people have been rescued. Local officials said many of those who died were children. Abdulkadir Yusuf, a regional official with the National Inland Waterways Authority, said around 40 bodies had been recovered and rescue operations were continuing. Local lawmaker Nasiru Adamu put the death toll at 43. Residents said the boat was carrying farm owners and workers hired to harvest rice. However, reports differ on the number of people aboard the boat. One resident said more than 70 peo
WorldAug 18, 2026

9 Migrants’ Bodies Recovered After Boat Capsizes Off Libya

The bodies of around nine migrants have been recovered from the coast over the past two days following a boat capsizing incident in the Tajoura area, east of Libya’s capital, Tripoli. The Tripoli Red Crescent said the bodies were found in the Tajoura area, about 22 kilometres from Tripoli. Local authorities said around 19 people were believed to have been aboard the boat, raising fears that more bodies could wash ashore in the coming days. The Red Crescent said search and recovery operations are continuing in coordination with the relevant authorities. Meanwhile, the rescue ship Ocean Viking
WorldAug 13, 2026

Ebola Outbreak in Congo Could Become Deadliest on Record, WHO Warns

The Ebola outbreak spreading across the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) is raising serious concerns, with the World Health Organization (WHO) warning that it could become the deadliest Ebola outbreak ever recorded if the virus continues to spread at its current pace. WHO Director-General Dr. Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus has warned that the 2026 outbreak could potentially surpass the devastating 2014–16 West Africa outbreak, which claimed the lives of around 11,000 people. The outbreak was officially declared on May 15, 2026. More than 4,300 cases have been reported so far, with over 2,000 d
trump-says-us-will-maintain-total-control-over-strait-of-hormuz
WorldAug 12, 2026

Trump says US will maintain ‘total control’ over Strait of Hormuz

U.S. President Donald Trump has once again claimed that the United States has “total control” over the Strait of Hormuz and said Washington intends to maintain that control. In a post on Truth Social on Wednesday, Trump described the U.S. Navy’s blockade as a “wall of steel” and said there was nothing Iran could do about it. His comments come as shipping traffic through the strategic waterway has dropped sharply. Only eight vessels passed through the Strait on Tuesday, compared with around 130 to 140 vessels per day before the war. Iran, meanwhile, says full maritime traffic through
netanyahu-rejects-gaza-plan-says-israeli-forces-will-not-withdraw-until-hamas-is-disarmed
WorldAug 10, 2026

Netanyahu rejects Gaza plan, says Israeli forces will not withdraw until Hamas is disarmed

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has rejected a 15-point plan for Gaza proposed by the U.S. president, saying Israeli forces will not withdraw until Hamas is fully disarmed. Speaking during a cabinet meeting Sunday, Netanyahu said Israel does not accept the document in its current form. He said Hamas must be disarmed in practice, not merely on paper, and that Israel would continue taking action to prevent threats to its soldiers and civilians. Netanyahu said Israel is in discussions with U.S. officials about the next phase of its strategy. He said some U.S. proposals are acceptable to
trump-says-us-iran-talks-made-very-good-progress-raising-hopes-of-easing-tensions
WorldAug 05, 2026

Trump says US-Iran talks made "very good" progress, raising hopes of easing tensions

U.S. President Donald Trump has said his administration's day-long talks with Iran on Tuesday were "very good," raising fresh hopes that the five-month-long conflict could soon move toward a resolution. Following Trump's remarks, oil prices fell across Asian markets while stock markets rallied, reflecting growing investor optimism. Markets are anticipating a possible agreement that could help restore shipping through the strategic Strait of Hormuz, a vital route for global energy supplies. Trump has previously warned that failure to reach a deal with Iran could lead to large-scale military act
WorldJul 31, 2026

25 killed, 44 injured after passenger bus overturns in Algeria

At least 25 people were killed and 44 others injured after a passenger bus overturned in Algeria's Boomerdes province on Friday, according to the country's Civil Protection Agency. Officials said the injured were transported to nearby hospitals for treatment following the crash. Authorities have not released details on what caused the bus to overturn. Algerian Prime Minister Sifi Ghrieb visited Boomerdes University Hospital to meet with those injured in the crash and assess the situation, according to officials. The cause of the crash has not been officially determined. Authorities said an inv
WorldJul 31, 2026

Four bodies recovered after Broad Peak avalanche as search continues for missing climbers

Pakistani rescue teams have recovered four bodies from the site of an avalanche on Broad Peak, where 10 international climbers were reported missing, according to two senior Pakistani government officials. The officials, who spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to speak publicly, said search operations continued Friday for the remaining six missing climbers. Recovery efforts have been hampered by severe weather in the mountainous region. Authorities have not identified the four people whose bodies were recovered. According to Pakistani officials, teams are working t
more-than-100-aftershocks-follow-powerful-earthquake-in-japans-kyushu-region-death-toll-rises-to-13
WorldJul 29, 2026

More than 100 aftershocks follow powerful earthquake in Japan's Kyushu region; death toll rises to 13

Rescue crews in Japan's Kyushu region continued search operations Wednesday after a magnitude 6.8 earthquake triggered more than 100 aftershocks, leaving at least 13 people dead, according to Japanese authorities. The hardest-hit areas include Kumamoto Prefecture, where emergency crews are searching through the rubble of a paper factory and a shopping mall despite high temperatures. Authorities said the damage worsened after an explosion occurred at the shopping mall about an hour after the initial earthquake. Japanese Prime Minister Sanae Takaichi said rescue efforts remain focused on reachin

Just In

poilievre-warns-accepting-u-s-tariffs-could-devastate-canadas-industrial-sector
BCAug 21, 2026

Poilievre Warns Accepting U.S. Tariffs Could Devastate Canada’s Industrial Sector

Conservative Party Leader Pierre Poilievre has lashed out at the Liberal government during ongoing Canada-U.S. trade talks in Washington, warning that accepting unilateral U.S. tariffs could devastate Canada’s industrial sector. Speaking to reporters in Kitchener, Ontario, Poilievre strongly criticized the proposed 25 per cent U.S. tariffs on steel and aluminum. He said that if Canada accepts such discriminatory terms, major Canadian businesses and factories could leave the country, causing long-term damage to the Canadian economy. Taking aim at Prime Minister Mark Carney, Poilievre said Car
AlbertaAug 21, 2026

Edmonton Nanaksar Gurdwara Stabbing Leaves Two Injured, Suspect Arrested

A stabbing incident at Nanaksar Gurdwara Sahib in Edmonton early Friday morning left two people injured. Police have arrested a suspect at the scene. According to police, the incident occurred at around 5:08 a.m. at the gurdwara located near 14 Street and Horsehills Road. The two injured individuals were treated at the scene, and their injuries were considered non-life-threatening. Police are questioning the arrested suspect, while officers continue their investigation in and around the gurdwara to ensure the safety of the congregation. Meanwhile, the World Sikh Organization of Canada said in
42-year-old-man-charged-in-immigration-fraud-case-arrest-warrant-issued
CanadaAug 21, 2026

42-Year-Old Man Charged in Immigration Fraud Case, Arrest Warrant Issued

The Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) has laid five charges against 42-year-old Abul Qasim for allegedly helping people enter Canada illegally and committing immigration fraud. An arrest warrant has also been issued for him. According to the CBSA, Qasim previously lived in Montreal but left Canada in June 2025 and is believed to be currently outside the country. The arrest warrant was issued after he failed to appear in response to a summons issued by a Montreal court. The CBSA began investigating the alleged scheme in 2024 after receiving confidential information from Immigration, Refugees
33-year-old-woman-arrested-after-multi-vehicle-crash-on-highway-1-in-abbotsford
BCAug 21, 2026

33-Year-Old Woman Arrested After Multi-Vehicle Crash on Highway 1 in Abbotsford

Abbotsford police have arrested a 33-year-old woman in connection with a multi-vehicle crash on Highway 1 Thursday night. Police say her red car collided with three other vehicles, including a semi-truck. The crash happened at around 10:41 p.m. in the eastbound lanes of Highway 1 near the Brander Road rest area. When officers arrived at the scene, they found several vehicles heavily damaged. According to the preliminary investigation, the woman was driving a Chevrolet Spark. The impact was severe, with part of the car's roof torn off and a tire coming off another vehicle. Despite the severity
montreal-to-equip-police-with-body-cameras-give-officers-new-powers
BCAug 21, 2026

Montreal to Equip Police with Body Cameras, Give Officers New Powers

Montreal Mayor Soraya Martinez Ferrada says police officers in the city will soon be equipped with body cameras and receive new powers to help them carry out their duties. The city plans to introduce a bylaw banning insults directed at municipal employees, including police officers. If approved, the bylaw would allow officers to issue fines to people who verbally abuse or insult them or other city employees. Martinez Ferrada made the announcement alongside Montreal’s police chief and the head of the police brotherhood. She emphasized that the proposed measure is not intended to prevent criti