0.36°C Vancouver

Aug 11, 2021 10:12 AM -

Removed tweet, locked account of Rahul Gandhi: Twitter India informs Delhi HC in rape victim's identity case

Share On
removed-tweet-locked-account-of-rahul-gandhi-twitter-india-informs-delhi-hc-in-rape-victims-identity-case
Removed tweet, locked account of Rahul Gandhi: Twitter India informs Delhi HC in rape victim's identity case

During the hearing of a plea filed in Delhi High Court against Congress leader Rahul Gandhi for his tweet allegedly disclosing and sharing the identity of a rape victim's family in Delhi Cantonment area, Twitter India informed the court on Wednesday that they had removed Gandhi's tweet and also locked his account.

"Rahul Gandhi tweet violated our policy also, we have already removed that tweet and his Twitter account is also been locked," Twitter informed Delhi HC.

Twitter counsel further said, "Petitioner has wrongly impleaded @TwitterIndia. We have removed it (Rahul Gandhi's Tweet). It is against our policy. That account is locked."

After taking note of Twitter's submission, Justice DN Patel and Justice Jyoti Singh adjourned the matter for September 27.

The PIL sought Delhi HC's directions to the National Commission for Protection of Child Rights (NCPCR) to take necessary legal action against Congress leader Rahul Gandhi for his tweet.

The petition also seeks directions to Delhi Police to register an FIR against Rahul Gandhi under section of the Juvenile Justice (Care and Protection of Children) Act, 2015.

The petitioner Makarand Suresh Mhadlekar, who claims to be a social activist, has approached Delhi High Court seeking its intervention for appropriate legal action against the Congress leader for allegedly disclosing sensitive information about a rape victim and her family members by "publishing a photograph of her parents on his Twitter handle".

The petition, filed through Advocates Gautam Jha, Shweta Jha and Pankaj, states that Rahul Gandhi has violated section 74 of the Juvenile Justice Act, 2015 and section 23(2) of the Protection of Children from Sexual Offences (POCSO) Act, 2012, both of which mandate that the identity of a child victim of a crime shall not be disclosed.

The plea said that the law in this regard is very well-settled in a catena of judgments including in the case of Nipun Saxena vs Union Of India wherein it was held by the Supreme Court, that the name, address, school or other particulars which may lead to the identification of the child in conflict with law/victim cannot be disclosed in the media.

"No picture of such child, or any such particular which can directly or indirectly disclose her identity, can be published. A child who is not in conflict with the law but is a victim of an offence especially a sexual offence needs this protection even more," the plea read.

Latest news

alberta-mp-matt-jeneroux-joins-liberal-caucus-after-leaving-conservatives
CanadaFeb 18, 2026

Alberta MP Matt Jeneroux joins Liberal caucus after leaving Conservatives

Alberta Member of Parliament Matt Jeneroux has crossed the floor in the House of Commons, leaving the Conservative Party to sit with the Liberal caucus. Prime Minister Mark Carney announced the move on social media Tuesday morning, saying he was honoured to welcome Jeneroux as the newest member of the government caucus. Jeneroux, who represents an Edmonton-area riding, had previously indicated he intended to resign his seat later this year. The decision follows recent caucus changes in Ottawa. Earlier this month, Nova Scotia MP Chris d'Entremont also left the Conservatives to join the Liberals
AlbertaFeb 18, 2026

Alberta petition to end public funding for private schools fails to meet signature threshold

A citizen-led petition calling on the Alberta government to end public funding for accredited private schools has fallen short of the number of signatures required to trigger further legislative consideration. In a statement released Tuesday, Chief Electoral Officer Gordon McClure confirmed that just over 124,000 Albertans signed the initiative petition. Under provincial rules, organizers needed approximately 177,000 valid signatures to meet the threshold set out in Alberta’s citizen initiative legislation. The petition was launched by Calgary teacher Alicia Taylor. It asked voters whether t
WorldFeb 18, 2026

Fireworks shop explosion in central China leaves 12 dead, investigation underway

A powerful explosion at a fireworks retail shop in central China has left 12 people dead, according to local authorities. The blast occurred Wednesday in the city of Xiangyang, located in Hubei province. Officials said the explosion triggered a large fire that destroyed an area of roughly 50 square metres around the store. Emergency response teams were dispatched to the scene shortly after the blast was reported. Firefighters brought the flames under control after several hours of rescue efforts. Authorities have not yet confirmed the cause of the explosion and an investigation is ongoing. Ind
alberta-premier-to-deliver-televised-address-one-week-before-provincial-budget
FeaturedFeb 18, 2026

Alberta premier to deliver televised address one week before provincial budget

Alberta Premier Danielle Smith says she will address Albertans in a televised speech on Thursday, one week before the province’s 2026 budget is tabled in the legislature. Smith made the announcement during an unrelated news conference in Calgary but did not provide details on what topics she intends to cover. A spokesperson for the Premier’s Office said further information about the address would be released at a later time. The speech comes ahead of Finance Minister Nate Horner’s scheduled budget presentation on Feb. 26. The government has already signalled that the fiscal plan will ref
alberta-to-invest-400-million-dollars-in-new-water-bombers-to-modernize-wildfire-fleet
AlbertaFeb 18, 2026

Alberta to invest 400 million dollars in new water bombers to modernize wildfire fleet

The Alberta government says it will spend 400 million dollars to strengthen its aging fleet of water bombers, part of a long term strategy to address increasingly severe wildfire seasons across the province. Premier Danielle Smith announced the agreement with De Havilland Aircraft of Canada, which is expected to deliver the first of five new aircraft in 2031. The remaining planes will be phased in over subsequent years. Smith said the investment is separate from the roughly 160 million dollars Alberta allocates annually for wildfire response operations. The province has faced longer and more d

Related News