22.78°C Vancouver

News

poilievre-criticizes-federal-handling-of-b-c-property-rights-debate-during-vancouver-visit
BCJun 19, 2026

Poilievre criticizes federal handling of B.C. property rights debate during Vancouver visit

Federal Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre was in Vancouver on Friday as he sought to rally support around ongoing concerns over property rights in British Columbia. Poilievre accused Prime Minister Mark Carney's Liberal government of failing to adequately defend private property rights, arguing that uncertainty surrounding land ownership issues has left many homeowners concerned about the security of their properties. The Conservative leader linked those concerns to a recent court decision involving the Cowichan Tribes, which has prompted debate over land ownership and property rights in pa
WorldJun 19, 2026

Israel, Hezbollah ceasefire takes effect in Lebanon, officials say

A ceasefire agreement between Israel and Lebanon's Hezbollah group has taken effect, according to statements from U.S. and Israeli officials. A U.S. official said the ceasefire came into force at 4 p.m. local time on Friday. The announcement followed a day of continued fighting in southern Lebanon. Reports indicated that approximately 18 people were killed in Israeli airstrikes hours before the ceasefire began. Israel also reported that four of its soldiers were killed during the latest round of hostilities. Israel Defense Forces spokesperson Brig. Gen. Effie Defrin confirmed the ceasefire, sa
AlbertaJun 19, 2026

Calgary Transit workers to rally ahead of court hearing in driver assault case

Calgary Transit employees and members of ATU Local 583 are expected to gather outside Municipal Plaza today ahead of a court hearing related to the assault of a bus driver that occurred last year. According to ATU Local 583, members will hold a rally at noon before proceeding to the Calgary Courts Centre for a scheduled hearing at 1:30 p.m. The union says the demonstration is intended to highlight ongoing concerns about the safety of transit operators and frontline transit staff. The case stems from an incident in May 2025 near Falconridge Boulevard and Castleridge Boulevard, where a Calgary T
alberta-residents-to-receive-100-relief-payment-within-two-weeks-of-application-smith-says
AlbertaJun 19, 2026

Alberta residents to receive $100 relief payment within two weeks of application, Smith says

Eligible Albertans will receive a $100 provincial relief payment within approximately two weeks of submitting an application, according to Premier Danielle Smith. Smith said the Alberta government chose to provide direct payments to residents instead of reducing the provincial gasoline tax. She said fuel tax reductions do not always result in savings reaching consumers, making direct assistance a more effective way to help households manage rising costs. According to the Alberta government, the relief program was triggered after higher global oil prices increased provincial energy royalty reve
carney-says-cusma-remains-in-force-despite-trumps-criticism-ahead-of-review-talks
CanadaJun 19, 2026

Carney says CUSMA remains in force despite Trump’s criticism ahead of review talks

Prime Minister Mark Carney says the Canada–United States–Mexico Agreement (CUSMA) will remain in effect for the foreseeable future, despite renewed criticism of the trade pact from U.S. President Donald Trump. Speaking to reporters in Vancouver on Thursday, Carney acknowledged that Trump has not been supportive of extending or strengthening the agreement. He said that position is well known but noted that the trade deal remains legally in force. Carney’s comments came after Trump indicated he would prefer ending the agreement rather than continuing it under its current framework. Under C
mission-rcmp-seize-firearms-issue-tickets-during-crackdown-on-illegal-shooting-along-forest-service-road
BCJun 18, 2026

Mission RCMP seize firearms, issue tickets during crackdown on illegal shooting along forest service road

Mission RCMP say officers seized multiple firearms and issued several violation tickets during an enforcement operation targeting illegal recreational shooting along the Lost Creek Forest Service Road area over the June 13–14 weekend. According to a Mission RCMP release, officers responded to a report on June 13 of people shooting near the 7.5-kilometre marker of the forest service road. Police located five men from Abbotsford and seized five firearms from two 21-year-old gun owners. The pair later received $690 violation tickets for discharging firearms in a designated no-shooting area. RCM
BCJun 18, 2026

Suspect Arrested in Langford Sexual Assault Investigation Involving Youth

West Shore RCMP say a 33-year-old man has been arrested in connection with a sexual assault investigation involving a youth in Langford. According to an RCMP release, the incident was reported to have occurred on June 9 at about 3 p.m. near the intersection of Jacklin Road and Station Avenue. Police said a female youth was approached by an unknown adult male at a bus stop, where a brief conversation took place before the youth was allegedly sexually assaulted. West Shore RCMP issued a public appeal for assistance on June 12 as investigators worked to identify the suspect. Police said officers
CanadaJun 18, 2026

IRCC pauses final processing of some citizenship cases approved under Bill C-3

Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) has temporarily paused the final processing of some citizenship cases approved under Bill C-3, commonly known as the "Lost Canadians" legislation. According to IRCC, several dozen individuals have received notices asking them to surrender citizenship certificates that had already been issued while the department reviews their files. The department says the affected cases are undergoing additional document verification. In a statement, IRCC said individuals who have already received citizenship certificates and moved to Canada may continue to
b-c-launches-hydroelectric-upgrades-aimed-at-boosting-power-supply-by-7
BCJun 18, 2026

B.C. launches hydroelectric upgrades aimed at boosting power supply by 7%

The British Columbia government has announced a series of upgrades to its hydroelectric system that it says will increase the province's electricity supply by about seven per cent. Energy Minister Adrian Dix said the largest project will involve adding a sixth generating unit at the Revelstoke Dam, increasing capacity by approximately 500 megawatts by 2032. According to the provincial announcement, the first four generating units at the Revelstoke generating station will also undergo modernization work. The government said upgrades are also planned at six other generating stations and at the W

Just In

b-c-conservative-leader-attacks-eby-government-over-forestry-decline
BCAug 18, 2026

B.C. Conservative Leader Attacks Eby Government Over Forestry Decline

B.C. Conservative Party Leader John Rustad has accused Premier David Eby of blaming U.S. President Donald Trump’s tariffs for the province’s forestry-sector decline in an attempt to hide his government’s own failures. In a statement Tuesday, Rustad said U.S. tariffs are harmful and should be strongly opposed. However, he said forestry production in B.C.’s Interior began declining as early as 2016, long before Trump returned to office, and has now fallen by about 50 per cent. According to Rustad, poor provincial policies, permit processes that can take two to three years, and uncertaint
trumps-presidency-delays-quebec-sovereignty-referendum-says-parti-québécois
CanadaAug 18, 2026

Trump’s Presidency Delays Quebec Sovereignty Referendum, Says Parti Québécois

Parti Québécois leader Paul St-Pierre Plamondon says his party would not hold a referendum on Quebec sovereignty while Donald Trump remains president of the United States. St-Pierre Plamondon says the party still intends to hold a referendum on whether Quebec should separate from Canada during its first mandate if elected. However, he says such a crucial decision about Quebec’s future requires a clear and calm debate. He says the referendum debate should not be disrupted by American politics or unexpected announcements from the U.S. president. According to St-Pierre Plamondon, the unpredic
AlbertaAug 18, 2026

Sentencing Arguments Begin for Man Convicted of Sexually Assaulting Three Women

Sentencing arguments begin today for 62-year-old Richard Mantha, who was convicted of sexually assaulting three vulnerable women and drugging one of them. Mantha was found guilty of six offences following a trial that lasted more than two years. The full day has been set aside for the Crown and defence to present their arguments on what sentence he should receive. He was convicted of two counts of sexual assault, as well as choking while committing a sexual assault and administering a noxious substance. Mantha was also found guilty of assault with a weapon and uttering threats against a fourth
BCAug 18, 2026

Goldstream Falls swimming incident: 27-year-old man dies

A 27-year-old man has died after getting into distress while swimming near Goldstream Falls in Goldstream Provincial Park on Monday evening. West Shore RCMP said officers responded to the incident at around 7:35 p.m. on August 17. The man reportedly went underwater while swimming near the waterfall and did not resurface. Bystanders pulled him from the water and immediately began life-saving measures. Police, BC Emergency Health Services and Langford Fire Department later arrived and continued the emergency response. The man was taken to hospital for further treatment but later succumbed to his
poilievre-attacks-carney-government-over-ev-mandate
BCAug 18, 2026

Poilievre Attacks Carney Government Over EV Mandate

Canada’s main opposition leader, Pierre Poilievre, has launched a strong attack on Prime Minister Mark Carney’s government over its electric vehicle policy. Poilievre alleges that while the government is moving to scrap the existing EV sales mandate, it is planning to bring back a similar requirement through the “back door” using tougher emissions standards. According to a notice published in the Canada Gazette, the government has recently started the process of repealing the previous EV Sales Mandate, which required 20 per cent of new vehicles sold in 2026 to be electric. Reacting to