16.95°C Vancouver

News

three-youths-arrested-after-entering-abbotsford-construction-site-police-seize-bb-guns-and-counterfeit-cash
BCJul 08, 2026

Three youths arrested after entering Abbotsford construction site, police seize BB guns and counterfeit cash

Three youths were arrested after allegedly entering a construction site in Abbotsford overnight, where police say they were found hiding on a large crane following an alarm activation. According to the Abbotsford Police Department, patrol officers responded to the site after an alarm was triggered and located three suspects, ages 14 and 15, who had allegedly entered the property without authorization. During a search, officers seized three BB guns and more than $11,000 in counterfeit Canadian currency. Police said the investigation remains ongoing. The allegations have not been tested in court
public-safety-minister-says-operation-hard-ball-delivers-major-blow-to-organized-crime-networks
CanadaJul 08, 2026

Public Safety Minister says Operation Hard Ball delivers major blow to organized crime networks

Canada's Minister of Public Safety, Gary Anandasangaree, says a joint FBI and RCMP investigation known as "Operation Hard Ball" has dealt a significant blow to three transnational organized crime groups, including the Lawrence Bishnoi and Jaggu Bhagwanpuria gangs. He said individuals involved in intimidation and violent criminal activity in Canada will continue to face enforcement action. According to the minister, authorities have made 24 arrests worldwide as part of the operation, including three arrests in Canada. He said the coordinated investigation has disrupted criminal networks accused
u-s-says-24-arrested-in-global-organized-crime-investigation-linked-to-nijjar-killing
CanadaJul 08, 2026

Joint operation by RCMP and FBI to take down organized crime groups

Canada's RCMP Commissioner Mike Duheme told a press conference in Los Angeles on Tuesday, in presence of the Federal Bureau of Investigation representatives, that 24 arrests have been made and several charges have been laid in connection with global organized crime networks. The RCMP released a news release after the press conference in which it named Lawrence Bishnoi, Ravinder Dhanda and Jaggu Bhagwanpuria about the crimes in Canada. The statement suggested that the groups and individuals are involved in crimes such as extortion, drug trafficking, kidnapping and violence in Canada and the US
trump-reiterates-call-for-u-s-control-of-greenland-during-nato-summit
WorldJul 07, 2026

Trump reiterates call for U.S. control of Greenland during NATO summit

U.S. President Donald Trump has again said Greenland should be under United States control rather than Denmark, renewing remarks he has made previously about the strategically located Arctic territory. Speaking to reporters during the NATO summit in Türkiye while meeting with Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan, Trump said the presence of Chinese and Russian vessels in waters around Greenland is a security concern for the United States. He said Washington would not accept the current situation. Greenland is an autonomous territory within the Kingdom of Denmark. Trump's comments revive a l
b-c-government-says-it-will-pursue-legal-action-against-openai-over-tumbler-ridge-mass-shooting
BCJul 07, 2026

B.C. government says it will pursue legal action against OpenAI over Tumbler Ridge mass shooting

The British Columbia government says it is preparing to launch legal proceedings against OpenAI in connection with the mass shooting in Tumbler Ridge, alleging the company failed to alert police after identifying warning signs on its ChatGPT platform. Attorney General Niki Sharma made the announcement during a news conference in Vancouver on Tuesday. According to Sharma, the province has retained legal counsel in both British Columbia and California, where OpenAI is headquartered, to pursue the case on behalf of the government. Sharma alleged that OpenAI identified violent activity linked to t
iran-says-no-final-agreement-talks-if-u-s-threats-continue
WorldJul 07, 2026

Iran says no final agreement talks if U.S. threats continue

Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi says Tehran will not begin negotiations on a final agreement with the United States if what he described as U.S. threats continue. In a post on social media, Araghchi said Clause 13 of the Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) states that negotiations on a final agreement cannot begin in an atmosphere of threats. He also urged the United States to honour its commitments under the agreement. According to Araghchi, Clause 13 commits both countries to implementing a ceasefire, removing restrictions affecting the Strait of Hormuz, providing sanctions relief and
cbsa-lays-12-charges-against-two-alleged-immigration-agents-in-126-000-international-student-tuition-fraud-case
CanadaJul 07, 2026

CBSA lays 12 charges against two alleged immigration agents in $126,000 international student tuition fraud case

The Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) has laid 12 criminal charges against two alleged immigration agents accused of defrauding international students of nearly $126,000 through a tuition fee scheme. According to the CBSA, the investigation began in February 2025 after Lambton College provided confidential information alleging that the suspects collected tuition payments from students, issued fraudulent documents, and failed to enroll them in the post-secondary programs they had promised. Following the seizure and examination of digital evidence, the CBSA said Hardik Dave of Cambridge, Ont.
WorldJul 07, 2026

India to supply BrahMos missiles to Indonesia as leaders strengthen defence partnership

India and Indonesia have agreed to strengthen their defence partnership, with India confirming it will supply supersonic BrahMos missiles to the Indonesian military following high-level talks in Jakarta on Tuesday. The decision was announced after a bilateral meeting between Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Indonesian President Prabowo Subianto. According to statements issued following the meeting, the two leaders also agreed to enhance maritime security cooperation and strengthen supply chains for critical minerals. In the presence of both leaders, officials from the two countries sign
carney-appoints-principal-secretary-tom-pitfield-conservative-mp-richard-martel-to-senate
CanadaJul 07, 2026

Carney appoints principal secretary Tom Pitfield, Conservative MP Richard Martel to Senate

Prime Minister Mark Carney has appointed four new senators, including his principal secretary Tom Pitfield and Conservative MP Richard Martel, marking the first Senate appointments of his tenure. The Prime Minister's Office announced Tuesday that Pitfield and Martel will represent Quebec in the upper chamber. According to the announcement, Carney is also ending the previous government's practice of using a non-partisan advisory process as the primary criterion for Senate appointments. Pitfield has served as Carney's principal secretary since the prime minister took office in March 2025 and has

Just In

18-year-old-shooting-suspect-turns-himself-in-to-burnaby-rcmp
BCAug 21, 2026

18-year-old shooting suspect turns himself in to Burnaby RCMP

A suspect wanted in connection with a December 2025 shooting in North Burnaby has turned himself in to authorities. Burnaby RCMP said officers responded on Dec. 19, 2025, to a report of a shooting near Phillips Avenue and Woodbrook Place. A man was found suffering from gunshot wounds and was taken to hospital for treatment. The RCMP’s Investigative Support Team took over the investigation. On Dec. 25, charges were laid and an arrest warrant was issued for 18-year-old Ronin Tajali. Tajali has since surrendered to police and remains in custody awaiting a bail hearing. Police thanked the public
leaders-condemn-nanaksar-gurdwara-attack-call-for-action-against-anti-sikh-hate
AlbertaAug 21, 2026

Leaders Condemn Nanaksar Gurdwara Attack, Call for Action Against Anti-Sikh Hate

Federal NDP MP for Edmonton Strathcona Heather McPherson, along with leaders from across the country, has strongly condemned the attack at Nanaksar Gurdwara Sahib and expressed solidarity with the Sikh community. They called for a full investigation into the incident, urging authorities to take the growing anti-Sikh hatred in Canada seriously and implement stronger measures to protect places of worship. McPherson said everyone has the right to practise their religion freely and that such violent attacks are unacceptable under any circumstances. Meanwhile, Surrey-Newton MP Sukh Dhaliwal express
poilievre-warns-accepting-u-s-tariffs-could-devastate-canadas-industrial-sector
BCAug 21, 2026

Poilievre Warns Accepting U.S. Tariffs Could Devastate Canada’s Industrial Sector

Conservative Party Leader Pierre Poilievre has lashed out at the Liberal government during ongoing Canada-U.S. trade talks in Washington, warning that accepting unilateral U.S. tariffs could devastate Canada’s industrial sector. Speaking to reporters in Kitchener, Ontario, Poilievre strongly criticized the proposed 25 per cent U.S. tariffs on steel and aluminum. He said that if Canada accepts such discriminatory terms, major Canadian businesses and factories could leave the country, causing long-term damage to the Canadian economy. Taking aim at Prime Minister Mark Carney, Poilievre said Car
AlbertaAug 21, 2026

Edmonton Nanaksar Gurdwara Stabbing Leaves Two Injured, Suspect Arrested

A stabbing incident at Nanaksar Gurdwara Sahib in Edmonton early Friday morning left two people injured. Police have arrested a suspect at the scene. According to police, the incident occurred at around 5:08 a.m. at the gurdwara located near 14 Street and Horsehills Road. The two injured individuals were treated at the scene, and their injuries were considered non-life-threatening. Police are questioning the arrested suspect, while officers continue their investigation in and around the gurdwara to ensure the safety of the congregation. Meanwhile, the World Sikh Organization of Canada said in
42-year-old-man-charged-in-immigration-fraud-case-arrest-warrant-issued
CanadaAug 21, 2026

42-Year-Old Man Charged in Immigration Fraud Case, Arrest Warrant Issued

The Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) has laid five charges against 42-year-old Abul Qasim for allegedly helping people enter Canada illegally and committing immigration fraud. An arrest warrant has also been issued for him. According to the CBSA, Qasim previously lived in Montreal but left Canada in June 2025 and is believed to be currently outside the country. The arrest warrant was issued after he failed to appear in response to a summons issued by a Montreal court. The CBSA began investigating the alleged scheme in 2024 after receiving confidential information from Immigration, Refugees