19.86°C Vancouver

News

alberta-government-shifts-continuing-care-from-health-to-seniors-ministry
CanadaOct 17, 2024

Alberta government shifts continuing care from Health to Seniors Ministry

The Alberta government has announced that long-term care and supportive living programs will no longer fall under the provincial Health Ministry, as part of its ongoing restructuring of Alberta’s health-care system. Instead, responsibility for continuing care programs will move to Seniors and Social Services Minister Jason Nixon, the province confirmed Friday. The change is part of Premier Danielle Smith’s plan to divide Alberta Health Services (AHS) into four new agencies, each handling specific aspects of health care. One of these agencies will focus exclusively on continuing care, which
former-alberta-justice-minister-kaycee-madu-to-be-sanctioned-by-law-society
CanadaOct 16, 2024

Former Alberta justice minister Kaycee Madu faces sanction for calling Edmonton police chief over traffic ticket

Former Alberta justice minister Kaycee Madu is facing disciplinary action from the Law Society of Alberta after a tribunal found he “undermined respect for the administration of justice” by contacting Edmonton’s police chief about a personal traffic ticket. The law society cited Madu for misconduct related to a 2021 phone call to Chief Dale McFee, which took place shortly after he received a distracted driving ticket. While the society has not yet announced the penalty, the tribunal said Madu’s actions were “worthy of sanction”, with possible outcomes ranging from a suspension to d
water-main-break-near-bowness-road-in-calgary
CanadaOct 15, 2024

Another water main break in Calgary leaves homes without supply, officials say not linked to June rupture

City officials in Calgary are working to repair a new water main break that has left several homes and businesses without supply, though they stress the incident is not related to the major feeder main rupture that caused widespread restrictions earlier this year. Ryan Kidd, Calgary’s deputy director of water services, said the break occurred on a smaller 250-millimetre cast-iron distribution line near Bowness Road and 51 Street Northwest. The problem was first detected Sunday night when water began bubbling to the surface. Crews immediately shut down the affected line and began repairs. Kid
punjab-farmers-to-block-roads-on-october-13
IndiaOct 11, 2024

Punjab Farmers to Block Roads on October 13

The Bhagwant Mann-led Punjab government has come under sharp criticism from farmers after the delayed start of paddy procurement across the state. In protest, the United Kisan Morcha has announced a statewide three-hour road blockade on Sunday. Farmer leader Balbir Singh Rajewal said the Punjab government had earlier assured that paddy procurement would begin without delay, but “no significant progress has been seen on the ground.” He said the road blockade is intended as a warning to the government to fulfill its commitment. Rajewal further stated that several farmers who cultivated PR-12
hospital-system-apologizes-after-brampton-sikh-mans-beard-shaved
CanadaOct 10, 2024

Hospital system apologizes after Brampton Sikh man's beard shaved

The William Osler Health System in Brampton has issued a public apology after hospital staff shaved the beard of an 85-year-old Sikh man without his consent, an act that violated his religious beliefs. In a joint statement released Wednesday, Dr. Frank Martino, president and CEO of the William Osler Health System, and board chair Pardeep Singh Gill admitted the hospital “failed to uphold religious and cultural care practices.” They said the incident, which occurred in August, was done without medical necessity. “We take full responsibility for this incident and have extended our deepest
foreign-affairs-minister-urges-canadians-to-leave-florida-ahead-of-devastating-storm
CanadaOct 09, 2024

Foreign affairs minister urges Canadians to leave Florida ahead of devastating storm

Foreign Affairs Minister Mélanie Joly is urging Canadians currently in Florida to leave immediately and warning others to postpone travel plans as Hurricane Milton moves toward the state’s west coast. The storm, downgraded early Thursday to Category 4 strength, is still expected to bring deadly storm surge, torrential rain and destructive winds. Milton is forecast to make landfall later today in the Tampa Bay region — home to more than 3.3 million people — before moving east through Sarasota, Orlando and Daytona Beach. Millions of residents have been ordered to evacuate as emergency cre
manitoba-high-school-football-coach-gets-20-years-for-sex-assaults
CanadaOct 08, 2024

Manitoba high school football coach gets 20 years for sex assaults

A former high school football coach in Winnipeg has been sentenced to 20 years in prison for sexually assaulting nine male students over a 13-year period. Kelsey McKay was handed the sentence today after pleading guilty last year to nine counts of sexual assault and two counts of luring. The assaults took place between 2003 and 2016, when the victims were between 12 and 18 years old. Court heard that McKay had been regarded as a mentor and father figure to the students. In some cases, he provided them with alcohol and pornography as part of his grooming behaviour. During an earlier court appea
events-across-canada-set-to-mark-one-year-since-oct-7-attacks-israel-hamas-war
CanadaOct 07, 2024

Canada marks one year since Hamas attack with vigils, protests and calls for peace amid rising tensions

Ceremonies, community gatherings and demonstrations are taking place across Canada today to mark one year since the Hamas attack on Israel, which triggered the ongoing war in Gaza and deeply affected Jewish, Muslim and Arab communities across the country. The October 7, 2023 assault killed more than 1,200 Israelis, with 250 others taken hostage, sparking an Israeli military offensive that Gaza health officials say has now left over 41,000 people dead. The conflict’s humanitarian and emotional toll has been felt globally - including in Canada, where families mourn victims on both sides and co
ndp-house-leader-says-house-dysfunction-will-be-a-factor-in-future-confidence-votes
CanadaOct 04, 2024

NDP warns parliamentary gridlock could shape confidence votes as Conservative–Liberal standoff deepens

NDP House Leader Peter Julian says his party wants to advance key legislation before the next federal election, but warns that the current parliamentary dysfunction is becoming a serious concern - one that could influence how New Democrats vote in future confidence motions. In the past three weeks, two Conservative non-confidence motions have failed to topple the Liberal minority government. The Opposition, however, has vowed to continue pressing for more such votes, arguing that the government no longer has the moral authority to govern. Julian accused the Conservatives of acting as “agents

Just In

b-c-conservative-leader-attacks-eby-government-over-forestry-decline
BCAug 18, 2026

B.C. Conservative Leader Attacks Eby Government Over Forestry Decline

B.C. Conservative Party Leader John Rustad has accused Premier David Eby of blaming U.S. President Donald Trump’s tariffs for the province’s forestry-sector decline in an attempt to hide his government’s own failures. In a statement Tuesday, Rustad said U.S. tariffs are harmful and should be strongly opposed. However, he said forestry production in B.C.’s Interior began declining as early as 2016, long before Trump returned to office, and has now fallen by about 50 per cent. According to Rustad, poor provincial policies, permit processes that can take two to three years, and uncertaint
trumps-presidency-delays-quebec-sovereignty-referendum-says-parti-québécois
CanadaAug 18, 2026

Trump’s Presidency Delays Quebec Sovereignty Referendum, Says Parti Québécois

Parti Québécois leader Paul St-Pierre Plamondon says his party would not hold a referendum on Quebec sovereignty while Donald Trump remains president of the United States. St-Pierre Plamondon says the party still intends to hold a referendum on whether Quebec should separate from Canada during its first mandate if elected. However, he says such a crucial decision about Quebec’s future requires a clear and calm debate. He says the referendum debate should not be disrupted by American politics or unexpected announcements from the U.S. president. According to St-Pierre Plamondon, the unpredic
AlbertaAug 18, 2026

Sentencing Arguments Begin for Man Convicted of Sexually Assaulting Three Women

Sentencing arguments begin today for 62-year-old Richard Mantha, who was convicted of sexually assaulting three vulnerable women and drugging one of them. Mantha was found guilty of six offences following a trial that lasted more than two years. The full day has been set aside for the Crown and defence to present their arguments on what sentence he should receive. He was convicted of two counts of sexual assault, as well as choking while committing a sexual assault and administering a noxious substance. Mantha was also found guilty of assault with a weapon and uttering threats against a fourth
BCAug 18, 2026

Goldstream Falls swimming incident: 27-year-old man dies

A 27-year-old man has died after getting into distress while swimming near Goldstream Falls in Goldstream Provincial Park on Monday evening. West Shore RCMP said officers responded to the incident at around 7:35 p.m. on August 17. The man reportedly went underwater while swimming near the waterfall and did not resurface. Bystanders pulled him from the water and immediately began life-saving measures. Police, BC Emergency Health Services and Langford Fire Department later arrived and continued the emergency response. The man was taken to hospital for further treatment but later succumbed to his
poilievre-attacks-carney-government-over-ev-mandate
BCAug 18, 2026

Poilievre Attacks Carney Government Over EV Mandate

Canada’s main opposition leader, Pierre Poilievre, has launched a strong attack on Prime Minister Mark Carney’s government over its electric vehicle policy. Poilievre alleges that while the government is moving to scrap the existing EV sales mandate, it is planning to bring back a similar requirement through the “back door” using tougher emissions standards. According to a notice published in the Canada Gazette, the government has recently started the process of repealing the previous EV Sales Mandate, which required 20 per cent of new vehicles sold in 2026 to be electric. Reacting to