18.62°C Vancouver

Jul 16, 2024 2:25 PM - The Associated Press

A rare shooting by multiple attackers in a Shiite mosque in Oman kills 5 and wounds dozens more

Share On
a-rare-shooting-by-multiple-attackers-in-a-shiite-mosque-in-oman-kills-5-and-wounds-dozens-more
The Royal Oman Police said in a statement mentioned no motive or suspect and said the shooting occurred Monday night in the Wadi Kabir neighborhood of the capital, Muscat. (Photo: The Canadian Press)

A rare shooting by multiple attackers at a Shiite mosque in Oman killed five people and wounded many more including a police officer, authorities said Tuesday. Pakistan's government said four of its nationals were dead and 30 hurt.

The Royal Oman Police said in a statement mentioned no motive or suspect and said the shooting occurred Monday night in the Wadi Kabir neighborhood of the capital, Muscat. The state-run Oman News Agency said three attackers were killed. It reported 28 wounded of “different nationalities.”

The shooting occurred on the eve ofAshoura, a remembrance of the 7th century martyrdom of the Prophet Muhammad’s grandson, Hussein, that gave birth to their faith. The day falls in the Islamic month of Muharram, one of the holiest months for Shiite Muslims.

Such violence is unusual in the sultanate on the eastern edge of the Arabian Peninsula. The U.S. Embassy warned its citizens to “stay away from the area.”

Pakistan's Ministry of Foreign Affairs said in a statement it “strongly condemns the dastardly terrorist attack on Imam Bargah Ali bin Abu Talib” mosque.

A separate statement by Pakistan's information office said the government was “heartened that the government of Oman has neutralized the attackers” and that Pakistan has offered assistance in “bringing to justice those responsible for this heinous crime in this holy month of Muharram.”

Latest news

cta-orders-westjet-to-remove-power-wheelchair-weight-limit
CanadaAug 20, 2026

CTA Orders WestJet to Remove Power Wheelchair Weight Limit

The Canadian Transportation Agency (CTA) has ordered WestJet, Canada’s second-largest airline, to eliminate the weight limit it imposes on power wheelchairs carried on its aircraft. The regulator ruled that WestJet’s weight restriction creates an unreasonable barrier for passengers living with disabilities and must be removed before July 2027. The case came to light following a complaint filed by Winnipeg resident and former federal cabinet minister Steven Fletcher, who was prevented from boarding a WestJet flight last year because of the weight of his customized electric wheelchair. WestJ
BCAug 20, 2026

15-Year-Old Charged After Allegedly Threatening to Burn Down Port Coquitlam Home

A 15-year-old youth has been criminally charged after allegedly making threats to burn down a home in Port Coquitlam. According to Coquitlam RCMP, the case relates to an incident that occurred on May 17 this year. Following an investigation by the General Investigation Section and a review of the evidence, the B.C. Prosecution Service approved the charges on August 4. The youth’s identity has not been released because of his age under the Youth Criminal Justice Act. Police also clarified that he is not a resident of the Port Coquitlam area. The youth is facing three charges, including mischi
poilievre-invites-irans-exiled-crown-prince-reza-pahlavi-to-visit-canada
CanadaAug 20, 2026

Poilievre invites Iran’s exiled Crown Prince Reza Pahlavi to visit Canada

Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre has invited Iran’s former Crown Prince Reza Pahlavi to visit Canada and said he plans to meet with him virtually to discuss democracy and the safety of the Iranian diaspora. Speaking at a Persian Town Hall in British Columbia on Aug. 15, Poilievre said Canadians and foreign governments should not decide who leads Iran, but stressed that the country should ultimately be free and democratic and governed by the Iranian people. Pahlavi, 65, is the son of Iran’s former Shah, Mohammad Reza Pahlavi, whose rule ended with the 1979 Islamic Revolution. He now liv
carney-urges-premiers-to-lift-ban-on-u-s-alcohol
CanadaAug 20, 2026

Carney Urges Premiers to Lift Ban on U.S. Alcohol

Prime Minister Mark Carney has urged Canada’s provincial premiers to remove restrictions on U.S. alcohol as Ottawa works to finalize an interim trade agreement with the United States. Trade negotiations between Canada and the U.S. are continuing after President Donald Trump delayed the implementation of a proposed 50 per cent tariff until Friday. Washington has repeatedly raised concerns over Canada’s restrictions on American alcohol products. Because provincial governments control the sale and distribution of alcohol in Canada, Carney held a virtual meeting with the premiers on Wednesday
canada-could-get-tariff-relief-on-steel-aluminum-and-automobiles
CanadaAug 19, 2026

Canada Could Get Tariff Relief on Steel, Aluminum and Automobiles

Canada could receive some tariff relief on steel, aluminum and automobiles under a new trade deal with the United States that is reportedly nearing completion. According to reports, Washington could reduce the current 50% tariff on some Canadian steel and aluminum exports to 25% as part of the agreement. However, the details have not yet been finalized, and the new rates are not expected to apply equally to all products. Different tariffs could be imposed on certain steel- and aluminum-derived products. Meanwhile, the top-line tariff on automobiles could reportedly be reduced from 25% to 15%.

Related News