20.37°C Vancouver

News

homicide-investigators-scour-langley-b-c-neighbourhood-after-suspected-attack
BCJan 27, 2021

Homicide investigators scour Langley, B.C., neighbourhood after suspected attack

Members of a Metro Vancouver homicide team are focused on a pockmarked car and casing-littered street as they investigate a suspected deadly attack in Langley, B.C.An online post from the Integrated Homicide Investigation Team confirms its members have joined Langley RCMP officers probing what happened in a residential area of the municipality.A tent is set up over an idling Honda Civic with numerous holes in its windshield and the area beside the car is shrouded from view while dozens of evidence markers dot the street nearby.RCMP are also investigating at least one burning vehicle in an are
407-new-covid-19-cases-and-14-deaths-reported-in-b-c
BCJan 27, 2021

407 new COVID-19 cases and 14 deaths reported in B.C.

Health officials in British Columbia say the number of new daily cases of COVID-19 is too high and they are repeating calls for everyone's help to bend the curve. The province recorded 407 new COVID-19 cases Tuesday, bringing the total number of confirmed active infections to 4,260. Among those, 313 people are hospitalized, including 71 in intensive care. An additional 14 people died in the past day and the death toll in B.C. from COVID-19 rose to 1,168. Health Minister Adrian Dix and provincial health officer Dr. Bonnie Henry say in a joint statement that now is the time for anyone who has p
pm-trudeau-has-been-assured-of-timely-delivery-of-vaccines-anand-says-september-deadline-could-be-moved-up-if-more-vaccines-are-approved
CanadaJan 26, 2021

PM Trudeau has been assured of timely delivery of vaccines; Anand says, September deadline could be moved up if more vaccines are approved

Canada's anxiety-laden COVID-19 vaccine programs are facing further threats as Europe warns drug makers it might impose export controls on European-made vaccine doses. But Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says he has received assurances that all vaccines Canada has contracted for, will be delivered on schedule. All of Canada's current vaccine doses from Pfizer-BioNTech and Moderna are made in Europe. European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen says Europe will set up a "vaccine export transparency mechanism" so it knows exactly how many doses are being produced in the bloc and where they a
canadas-vaccine-deliveries-further-threatened-as-europe-mulls-export-controls
CanadaJan 26, 2021

Canada's vaccine deliveries further threatened as Europe mulls export controls

Canada's anxiety-laden COVID-19 vaccine programs are facing further threats as Europe warns drug makers it might impose export controls on European-made vaccine doses.All of Canada's current vaccine doses from Pfizer-BioNTech and Moderna are made in Europe, potentially putting at risk the entirety of Canada's vaccine deliveries.Europe like Canada is being shorted on deliveries from Pfizer as the company slows production to expand its plant in Belgium.But AstraZeneca has also now informed Europe productions issues will reduce initial deliveries of its vaccine, which Europe is expected to appro
b-c-to-stretch-second-doses-of-covid-19-vaccine-to-day-42-amid-production-delay
BCJan 26, 2021

B.C. to stretch second doses of COVID-19 vaccine to day 42 amid production delay

British Columbia's top doctor says the province is extending the interval between the two doses of the Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine. Dr. Bonnie Henry says further delays in the production and delivery of the vaccine over the next two weeks prompted health officials to extend the time period between the shots from 35 to 42 days. She says about 60 per cent of the more than 119,000 doses of COVID-19 vaccine administered in the province so far have been used to protect residents of long-term care homes. Dr. Henry provided an update on B.C.'s vaccine supply on Monday while reporting 26 more de
CanadaJan 26, 2021

Brampton Centre MP Ramesh Sangha kicked out of the Liberal caucus

Brampton Centre MP Ramesh Sangha has been kicked out of the Liberal caucus. Government whip Mark Holland says in a statement that Sangha was removed from caucus after making what he calls "baseless and dangerous accusations" against a number of fellow Liberal MPs. He does not specify what accusations Sangha made. Holland says Liberals have been clear that they won't tolerate "conspiracy theories or dangerous and unfounded rhetoric about parliamentarians or other Canadians." Holland adds it's not unusual for many Canadians to "experience suspicions because of their background" and that the Lib
government-launching-consultations-designed-to-help-canada-recover-from-the-pandemic-chrystia-freeland
CanadaJan 25, 2021

Government launching consultations designed to help Canada recover from the pandemic: Chrystia Freeland

Finance Minister Chrystia Freeland is asking all Canadians to put in their two-cents' worth as she prepares what she calls one of the most important federal budgets in the country's history. Freeland is launching consultations designed to help Canada recover from the pandemic. She says she wants people to share their priorities when it comes to the government supporting families and businesses. The government has set up a website called letstalkbudget2021.ca, where Canadians can fill out a questionnaire and share their views. Freeland says the Trudeau government will emphasize the interconnect
one-year-since-canadas-1st-covid-19-case
CanadaJan 25, 2021

One year since Canada’s 1st COVID-19 case

It's been exactly one year since the first known case of COVID-19 was detected in Canada.The 56-year-old man had arrived at Sunnybrook hospital in Toronto with what seemed to be mild pneumonia. But because he had travelled from China and his X-rays were unusual, the decision was made to admit him.Samples were sent by taxi to Ontario's public health laboratory, which had been working to come up with a reliable test.The lab was soon able to confirm the man was infected with what was then being called the novel coronavirus. Although ``Patient Zero'' eventually recovered, more than 19,000 people
508-new-covid-19-cases-and-9-deaths-reported-in-b-c-bc-has-rolled-out-the-next-stages-of-its-age-based-covid-19-vaccination-plan
BCJan 23, 2021

508 new COVID-19 cases and 9 deaths reported in B.C.; BC has rolled out the next stages of its age-based COVID-19 vaccination plan

B.C. is reporting 508 new cases of COVID-19, pushing active infections to 4,479. Nine more people have died due to the illness, bringing the death toll in the province to 1,128. There have been 110,566 doses of COVID-19 vaccine administered in B.C., including 2,202 second doses. The province is reporting new outbreaks at two hospitals, one in Kamloops and the other in New Westminster, as well as at the North Fraser Pretrial Centre in Port Coquitlam. Health Minister Adrian Dix and provincial health officer Dr. Bonnie Henry say in a joint statement the risk from the virus in B.C. remains high a

Just In

18-year-old-shooting-suspect-turns-himself-in-to-burnaby-rcmp
BCAug 21, 2026

18-year-old shooting suspect turns himself in to Burnaby RCMP

A suspect wanted in connection with a December 2025 shooting in North Burnaby has turned himself in to authorities. Burnaby RCMP said officers responded on Dec. 19, 2025, to a report of a shooting near Phillips Avenue and Woodbrook Place. A man was found suffering from gunshot wounds and was taken to hospital for treatment. The RCMP’s Investigative Support Team took over the investigation. On Dec. 25, charges were laid and an arrest warrant was issued for 18-year-old Ronin Tajali. Tajali has since surrendered to police and remains in custody awaiting a bail hearing. Police thanked the public
AlbertaAug 21, 2026

Leaders Condemn Nanaksar Gurdwara Attack, Call for Action Against Anti-Sikh Hate

Federal NDP MP for Edmonton Strathcona Heather McPherson, along with leaders from across the country, has strongly condemned the attack at Nanaksar Gurdwara Sahib and expressed solidarity with the Sikh community. They called for a full investigation into the incident, urging authorities to take the growing anti-Sikh hatred in Canada seriously and implement stronger measures to protect places of worship. McPherson said everyone has the right to practise their religion freely and that such violent attacks are unacceptable under any circumstances. Meanwhile, Surrey-Newton MP Sukh Dhaliwal express
poilievre-warns-accepting-u-s-tariffs-could-devastate-canadas-industrial-sector
BCAug 21, 2026

Poilievre Warns Accepting U.S. Tariffs Could Devastate Canada’s Industrial Sector

Conservative Party Leader Pierre Poilievre has lashed out at the Liberal government during ongoing Canada-U.S. trade talks in Washington, warning that accepting unilateral U.S. tariffs could devastate Canada’s industrial sector. Speaking to reporters in Kitchener, Ontario, Poilievre strongly criticized the proposed 25 per cent U.S. tariffs on steel and aluminum. He said that if Canada accepts such discriminatory terms, major Canadian businesses and factories could leave the country, causing long-term damage to the Canadian economy. Taking aim at Prime Minister Mark Carney, Poilievre said Car
AlbertaAug 21, 2026

Edmonton Nanaksar Gurdwara Stabbing Leaves Two Injured, Suspect Arrested

A stabbing incident at Nanaksar Gurdwara Sahib in Edmonton early Friday morning left two people injured. Police have arrested a suspect at the scene. According to police, the incident occurred at around 5:08 a.m. at the gurdwara located near 14 Street and Horsehills Road. The two injured individuals were treated at the scene, and their injuries were considered non-life-threatening. Police are questioning the arrested suspect, while officers continue their investigation in and around the gurdwara to ensure the safety of the congregation. Meanwhile, the World Sikh Organization of Canada said in
42-year-old-man-charged-in-immigration-fraud-case-arrest-warrant-issued
CanadaAug 21, 2026

42-Year-Old Man Charged in Immigration Fraud Case, Arrest Warrant Issued

The Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) has laid five charges against 42-year-old Abul Qasim for allegedly helping people enter Canada illegally and committing immigration fraud. An arrest warrant has also been issued for him. According to the CBSA, Qasim previously lived in Montreal but left Canada in June 2025 and is believed to be currently outside the country. The arrest warrant was issued after he failed to appear in response to a summons issued by a Montreal court. The CBSA began investigating the alleged scheme in 2024 after receiving confidential information from Immigration, Refugees