16.14°C Vancouver

News

we-will-remember-them-canada-marks-national-day-of-observance-for-covid-19-victims
CanadaMar 11, 2021

'We will remember them': Canada marks national day of observance for Covid-19 victims

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau rose in the House of Commons Thursday, one year after COVID-19 was declared a global pandemic, and said March 11, 2020 will always be marked by a before and an after. Since the pandemic began, 2.5 million people around the world have died due to COVID-19, with more than 22,000 of them in Canada. ``For families and close ones, each death has a before and an after,'' Trudeau said.``Since the great wars of the 20th century, there is a sentence we often evoke, and it's a sentence that we can bring back for those that we lost this year during the pandemic: We will rem
531-new-covid-19-cases-including-51-cases-of-variants-of-concern-reported-in-b-c
BCMar 11, 2021

531 new COVID-19 cases including 51 cases of variants of concern reported in B.C.

BC is reporting 531 new cases of COVID-19 and one additional death. Health officials say there are 4,861active cases in the province. 244 people are hospitalized with COVID-19, including 66 in intensive care. There are 51 new confirmed cases of COVID-19 variants of concern, for a total of 627 cases. BC Health Minister Adrian Dix says vast improvements have been made in the province's vaccine roll out since a rough start on Monday, which means they can now accelerate the pace. Health authorities first started booking appointments for people 90 years and older as well as for Indigenous people
pmo-knew-existence-of-allegations-against-vance-not-specifics-in-2018-pm-trudeau
CanadaMar 11, 2021

PMO knew existence of allegations against Vance, not specifics, in 2018: PM Trudeau

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says his office knew there was an allegation of sexual misconduct against then-defence chief Gen. Jonathan Vance in 2018. But Trudeau says he and others in government did not know the specifics of the allegation until a Global News report last month. The prime minister made the comments this afternoon in the House of Commons, confirming that then-military ombudsman Gary Walbourne spoke to Defence Minister Harjit Sajjan about an allegation against Vance in March 2018. Trudeau says his office knew that Sajjan had directed Walbourne to take the allegation to "indepe
military-reservist-who-rammed-rideau-hall-gate-with-truck-sentenced-to-six-years
CanadaMar 10, 2021

Military reservist who rammed Rideau Hall gate with truck sentenced to six years

A Manitoba man who rammed a gate at Rideau Hall before arming himself and heading on foot toward Prime Minister Justin Trudeau's home last July was sentenced today to six years in prison. Corey Hurren, a 46 year old sausage-maker and military reservist, had faced 21 weapons charges and one of threatening the prime minister. He pleaded guilty last month to seven weapons charges related to possession of prohibited or restricted firearms "for a purpose contrary to the public peace" and one charge of mischief by wilfully causing $100,000 worth of damage to the Rideau Hall gate. In delivering the
high-covid-19-count-prompts-citywide-covid-19-vaccinations-in-prince-rupert-b-c
BCMar 10, 2021

High COVID-19 count prompts citywide COVID-19 vaccinations in Prince Rupert, B.C.

Health officials say COVID-19 outbreaks remain stubbornly frequent in one northwestern British Columbia city and are prompting a new approach to vaccinations. Northern Health, the Ministry of Health and the Provincial Health Officer say the entire community of Prince Rupert and nearby Port Edward will be immunized over the next three weeks. The first clinics for roughly 12,000 Prince Rupert-area residents begin Monday and continue until April 1. Those eligible can dial a dedicated phone line and appointments will be assigned based on age, with vaccinations for the city's oldest residents star
CanadaMar 10, 2021

Bank of Canada keeps key interest rate target on hold at 0.25 per cent

The Bank of Canada is keeping its key interest rate target on hold at 0.25 per cent, saying economic conditions still require it even if things are going better than anticipated.In a statement, the central bank says it expects economic growth in the first quarter of 2021 to be positive, as opposed to its previous forecast in January for a contraction to start the year.The bank's senior decision-makers say resilience in the economy has to do with consumers and businesses adapting to new rounds of lockdowns and restrictions.The statement also points to a stronger-than-expected housing market as
one-year-since-the-first-person-died-as-a-result-of-covid-19-in-b-c-182-new-cases-linked-to-variants-of-concern-reported
BCMar 10, 2021

One year since the first person died as a result of COVID-19 in B.C., 182 new cases linked to variants of concern reported

BC health officials say it's been one year since the first person in the province has died as a result of COVID-19, and since then there's been almost 1,400 other deaths. A joint statement from Health Minister Adrian Dix and provincial health officer Dr. Bonnie Henry is reporting 550 new cases today and another two deaths. There are almost 5,000 active cases and of those, 249 people are in hospital, 68 of them in intensive care. There's been another 182 new cases linked to variants of concern for a total of 576 cases, many of them connected to the strain first found in the United Kingdom. Mor
about-15-000-covid-19-shots-booked-on-day-1-in-b-c-more-than-half-in-fraser-health
BCMar 09, 2021

About 15,000 COVID-19 shots booked on Day 1 in B.C., more than half in Fraser Health

British Columbians eligible to make a COVID-19 vaccination appointment are being urged to keep trying if they failed to get through Monday on phone lines overwhelmed by calls.The Health Ministry confirms just under 15,000 appointments were booked on the first day residents over the age of 90 or Indigenous elders over 65 could make appointments.Only Fraser Health offered an online option for booking appointments and 8,722 were made there, while the Interior and Vancouver Island health authorities each recorded just under 2,500 bookings and residents in the north made just over 1,000.The minist
144-new-covid-19-cases-of-variants-of-concern-reported-in-b-c
BCMar 09, 2021

144 new COVID-19 cases of variants of concern reported in B.C.

BC's top doctor says officials are working with faith leaders on a gradual return to in-person religious services, which have mostly been prohibited since November under COVID-19 restrictions. Doctor Bonnie Henry says she knows there are many important dates coming up in different faiths and the province will look at easing the rules to meet their specific needs while ensuring certain safety measures remain in place. She also advised post-secondary institutions to prepare for a full return to on-campus education this fall, with Advanced Education Minister Anne Kang saying the province will cr

Just In

peter-milobar-announces-departure-from-b-c-conservative-caucus
BCAug 14, 2026

Peter Milobar Announces Departure from B.C. Conservative Caucus

Senior B.C. Conservative MLA Peter Milobar has formally announced that he is leaving the party caucus, effective immediately. He will now sit as an independent MLA for Kamloops Centre in the B.C. legislature. Milobar said that over the past several months, it had become increasingly clear to him that his personal values no longer aligned with the party’s new direction under Leader Kami-Leon Findlay. He said he fully respects Findlay’s right to shape the party according to her vision, but stressed that his top priority remains serving the people of Kamloops Centre, a commitment that has not
gunfire-outside-former-jathedar-giani-raghbir-singhs-residence
IndiaAug 14, 2026

Gunfire Outside Former Jathedar Giani Raghbir Singh’s Residence

A firing incident involving the vehicle of former Jathedar of Sri Akal Takht Sahib and former Head Granthi of Sri Harmandir Sahib, Giani Raghbir Singh, has come to light. The incident was discovered when his driver noticed a bullet lodged in the vehicle while cleaning it and immediately informed the police. Giani Raghbir Singh said police have launched an investigation into the incident. He added that he also checked the CCTV footage outside his residence. According to the footage, a sound believed to be a gunshot was heard at around 11:04 p.m. on August 12, after which the security guard pres
b-c-premier-announces-three-cabinet-changes-as-brenda-bailey-takes-leave-for-cancer-treatment
BCAug 14, 2026

B.C. Premier Announces Three Cabinet Changes as Brenda Bailey Takes Leave for Cancer Treatment

British Columbia Premier David Eby has announced three cabinet changes following Finance Minister Brenda Bailey’s decision to take a leave of absence for cancer treatment and recovery. Bailey has been diagnosed with early-stage cancer that is treatable. She is expected to begin treatment in late August 2026 and return to work in early October. She will remain a member of cabinet during her leave. Effective August 14, the changes are: Josie Osborne — Minister of Finance Ravi Kahlon — Minister of Health Brenda Bailey — Minister of Jobs and Economic Growth Bailey is returning to the
downtown-vancouver-stranger-assault-vpd-seeks-witnesses
BCAug 14, 2026

Downtown Vancouver stranger assault: VPD seeks witnesses

Vancouver Police are investigating a random assault that left a man seriously injured near Nelson and Richards streets. Police say a couple was walking back to their hotel after attending a concert at around 11:45 p.m. when a stranger approached from behind and punched one of them in the face. The victim fell and struck his head on the pavement. The suspect then fled toward Granville Street. The victim was taken to hospital with serious injuries. The suspect is described as a white man, approximately 5'5" to 5'8" tall, aged 20 to 35, with a medium build. He was reportedly wearing fingerless gl
CanadaAug 14, 2026

Greer Takes Tough Stance Amid Canada-U.S. Tariff Talks

As Canada continues efforts to secure a tariff deal with the United States, U.S. Trade Representative Jamieson Greer has issued a strong response. Speaking to reporters in Des Moines, Iowa, on Friday, Greer said the proposed 50 per cent tariffs on Canadian goods are not a sudden decision. He said they are a response to retaliatory measures previously imposed by Canada against U.S. products. Greer criticized Canada for imposing retaliatory tariffs rather than engaging directly with Washington, comparing the approach to the strategy used by countries such as China. He pointed to Canadian measure