1.38°C Vancouver

News

b-c-state-of-emergency-extended-again-428-more-covid-19-cases-and-8-deaths-reported-in-b-c
BCJan 06, 2021

B.C. state of emergency extended again; 428 more COVID-19 cases and 8 deaths reported in B.C.

British Columbia has again extended its state of emergency in response to the COVID-19 pandemic nearly 10 months after it was first declared. The Ministry of Public Safety says in a news release the extension until Jan. 19 will allow officials to use powers under the Emergency Program Act. Premier John Horgan says in the statement there's hope with the provincial immunization program getting underway, but it's too early to ease restrictions in the pandemic that has claimed 954 lives in B.C. A joint statement from Health Minister Adrian Dix and provincial health officer Dr. Bonnie Henry on Tue
federal-government-is-making-changes-to-the-1-000-sickness-benefit-pm-trudeau
CanadaJan 05, 2021

Federal government is making changes to the $1,000 sickness benefit: PM Trudeau

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says Canadians who have travelled abroad should not expect to collect a benefit for people who have to isolate themselves. Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says the federal government is making changes to the $1,000 sickness benefit. He says the program is for workers who have to quarantine because they are sick or have had close contact with someone who tests positive for COVID-19. Trudeau says the point was never to subsidize vacations and he's frustrated and angry that non-essential travellers might have claimed the benefit. The government will revise the rules t
dr-theresa-tam-concerned-at-how-quickly-canadas-covid-19-case-numbers-are-growing
CanadaJan 05, 2021

Dr. Theresa Tam concerned at how quickly Canada's COVID-19 case numbers are growing

Canada's chief public health officer says she's concerned at how quickly Canada's COVID-19 case numbers are growing. Doctor Theresa Tam says over the past week, the number of infections has been increasing by almost 7,500 per day. She notes that it took five months for Canada to reach its first 100,000 cases, and just over two weeks to go from 500- to 600,000. Dr. Tam says this rapid accumulation of cases will continue until we can make significant progress in interrupting the spread of the virus. More than 617,000 case have been reported in Canada since the start of pandemic. At present 79,5
vancouver-home-sales-surge-53-4-per-cent-setting-new-record-for-december
BCJan 05, 2021

Vancouver home sales surge 53.4 per cent, setting new record for December

The Real Estate Board of Greater Vancouver says home sales were up 53.4 per cent in the final month of 2020 compared with December 2019, hitting a new record for the month.The board says 3,093 homes were sold in December, up from 2,016 in December 2019 and slightly more than the 3,064 homes sold in November.Vancouver real estate agents sold 1,026 detached homes, a 71.3 jump from December 2019.The board says the composite home price in Vancouver ended the year at $1,047,400, up 5.4 percent from the same time last year.Board chair Colette Gerber says the COVID-19 pandemic has been a major cause
dr-bonnie-henry-releases-covid-19-vaccination-plan-for-first-three-months-of-2021
BCJan 05, 2021

Dr. Bonnie Henry releases COVID-19 vaccination plan for first three months of 2021

British Columbia's top doctor says immunizations are expected to be ramped up in the coming weeks as Health Canada approves more COVID-19 vaccines, but a major challenge will be for people to ensure they get immunized. Dr. Bonnie Henry says the aim is to vaccinate about 150,000 people by the end of February, with priority given to residents and staff of long-term care homes as well as First Nations communities. For the rest of the population, she says those over the age of 80 will be next in line for vaccinations, which will then be administered based on descending five-year age groupings. Dr
feds-weigh-cutting-covid-19-sickness-benefit-for-canadians-who-have-travelled
CanadaJan 04, 2021

Feds weigh cutting COVID-19 sickness benefit for Canadians who have travelled

The federal government is weighing whether to bar people who have travelled overseas from a new benefit for those who have to quarantine due to COVID-19.The Canada Recovery Sickness Benefit, launched in the fall to help Canadians who are unable to work because they must quarantine during the pandemic, is worth $500 per week to a maximum of two weeks.But Employment Minister Carla Qualtrough says the government is actively looking at all options as questions surface around whether Canadians who have travelled abroad should be allowed to collect the money during their mandatory two-week isolatio
horgan-says-b-c-will-focus-on-pandemic-economic-recovery-health-reform-in-2021
BCDec 31, 2020

Horgan says B.C. will focus on pandemic economic recovery, health reform in 2021

Premier John Horgan says economic recovery and health-care reforms are his New Democrat government's priorities for 2021. He says the COVID-19 pandemic has tested him personally as it has the people of British Columbia. Horgan says getting the economy moving next year will be the main goal of the budget in April, despite the recent forecast of a 13.6 billion dollar deficit. There have been almost 900 deaths due to COVID-19 in the province and Horgan says the government is planning health-care reforms that focus on BC's elderly, the hardest hit by the pandemic. The premier says his government
b-c-restricting-alcohol-sales-service-on-new-years-eve-485-new-covid-19-cases-and-11-deaths-reported-in-b-c
BCDec 31, 2020

B.C. restricting alcohol sales, service on New Year's Eve; 485 new COVID-19 cases and 11 deaths reported in B.C.

Health officials in British Columbia are cutting off alcohol sales on New Year's Eve in an effort to prevent gatherings where COVID-19 can spread. Provincial health officer Dr. Bonnie Henry says last call for alcohol sales will be at 8 p.m. on New Year's Eve and the ban continues until 9 a.m. the next day. The health order restricts the sale of alcohol at restaurants, pubs and stores. Dr. Henry says the order is an attempt to mitigate "risky behavior" and curb parties from springing up, particularly in resort towns where New Year's Eve celebrations are common. B.C. reported 485 new cases of C
travellers-required-to-test-negative-for-covid-19-three-days-before-landing-in-canada
CanadaDec 31, 2020

Travellers required to test negative for COVID-19 three days before landing in Canada

Following a cabinet meeting this morning, the Trudeau government plans to bring in stricter pandemic regulations for airline passengers. Travellers will be required to test negative for COVID-19 three days before landing in Canada. Intergovernmental Affairs Minister Dominic LeBlanc didn't say when the requirement will be in place. The announcement comes as Ontario Finance Minister Rod Phillips and Quebec Liberal MNA Pierre Arcand find themselves in hot water over international travel. Both travelled out of the country on Caribbean vacations despite Canadians being asked to avoid such trips.

Just In

alberta-mp-matt-jeneroux-joins-liberal-caucus-after-leaving-conservatives
CanadaFeb 18, 2026

Alberta MP Matt Jeneroux joins Liberal caucus after leaving Conservatives

Alberta Member of Parliament Matt Jeneroux has crossed the floor in the House of Commons, leaving the Conservative Party to sit with the Liberal caucus. Prime Minister Mark Carney announced the move on social media Tuesday morning, saying he was honoured to welcome Jeneroux as the newest member of the government caucus. Jeneroux, who represents an Edmonton-area riding, had previously indicated he intended to resign his seat later this year. The decision follows recent caucus changes in Ottawa. Earlier this month, Nova Scotia MP Chris d'Entremont also left the Conservatives to join the Liberals
AlbertaFeb 18, 2026

Alberta petition to end public funding for private schools fails to meet signature threshold

A citizen-led petition calling on the Alberta government to end public funding for accredited private schools has fallen short of the number of signatures required to trigger further legislative consideration. In a statement released Tuesday, Chief Electoral Officer Gordon McClure confirmed that just over 124,000 Albertans signed the initiative petition. Under provincial rules, organizers needed approximately 177,000 valid signatures to meet the threshold set out in Alberta’s citizen initiative legislation. The petition was launched by Calgary teacher Alicia Taylor. It asked voters whether t
WorldFeb 18, 2026

Fireworks shop explosion in central China leaves 12 dead, investigation underway

A powerful explosion at a fireworks retail shop in central China has left 12 people dead, according to local authorities. The blast occurred Wednesday in the city of Xiangyang, located in Hubei province. Officials said the explosion triggered a large fire that destroyed an area of roughly 50 square metres around the store. Emergency response teams were dispatched to the scene shortly after the blast was reported. Firefighters brought the flames under control after several hours of rescue efforts. Authorities have not yet confirmed the cause of the explosion and an investigation is ongoing. Ind
alberta-premier-to-deliver-televised-address-one-week-before-provincial-budget
FeaturedFeb 18, 2026

Alberta premier to deliver televised address one week before provincial budget

Alberta Premier Danielle Smith says she will address Albertans in a televised speech on Thursday, one week before the province’s 2026 budget is tabled in the legislature. Smith made the announcement during an unrelated news conference in Calgary but did not provide details on what topics she intends to cover. A spokesperson for the Premier’s Office said further information about the address would be released at a later time. The speech comes ahead of Finance Minister Nate Horner’s scheduled budget presentation on Feb. 26. The government has already signalled that the fiscal plan will ref
alberta-to-invest-400-million-dollars-in-new-water-bombers-to-modernize-wildfire-fleet
AlbertaFeb 18, 2026

Alberta to invest 400 million dollars in new water bombers to modernize wildfire fleet

The Alberta government says it will spend 400 million dollars to strengthen its aging fleet of water bombers, part of a long term strategy to address increasingly severe wildfire seasons across the province. Premier Danielle Smith announced the agreement with De Havilland Aircraft of Canada, which is expected to deliver the first of five new aircraft in 2031. The remaining planes will be phased in over subsequent years. Smith said the investment is separate from the roughly 160 million dollars Alberta allocates annually for wildfire response operations. The province has faced longer and more d