18.54°C Vancouver

Feb 8, 2021 4:41 PM -

Health agency has no Moderna doses scheduled this week, with future amounts uncertain

Share On
health-agency-has-no-moderna-doses-scheduled-this-week-with-future-amounts-uncertain
Amanda Parsons, a registered nurse on staff at the Northwood Care facility, administers a dose of the Moderna vaccine to Ann Hicks in Halifax on January 11, 2021. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Andrew Vaughan

Canada's COVID-19 vaccine drought could be coming to an end.

The Public Health Agency of Canada says Ottawa plans to distribute more than 70,000 Pfizer-BiotNTech vaccine doses this week ahead of a major ramp-up, but no Moderna doses are on the schedule.

Starting today, 70,200 Pfizer doses are expected to be delivered.

Next week, officials are expecting shipments of about 3,35000 doses, which would be the single biggest vaccine delivery to Canada so far.

Pfizer and Moderna's vaccines are the only two to be approved by Health Canada, though the department is reviewing others from AstraZeneca, Novavax, and Johnson and Johnson.

Latest news

shooting-at-surrey-home-under-investigation-police-say-extortion-link-suspected
BCMay 20, 2026

Shooting at Surrey home under investigation, police say extortion link suspected

Surrey Police Service is investigating an early morning shooting at a residence in Surrey’s Newton neighbourhood that investigators believe may be connected to an extortion-related file. Police said frontline officers responded at about 4:40 a.m. Wednesday to reports of shots fired near 57 Avenue and 148 Street. According to SPS, officers found damage to a home and evidence of gunfire when they arrived. The residence was occupied at the time of the shooting, but no injuries were reported, police said. SPS said its Extortion Response Team has taken over the investigation. Integrated Forensic
AlbertaMay 20, 2026

Nenshi questions UCP committee meeting on Alberta petition process amid separatism debate

Alberta NDP Leader Naheed Nenshi says he is concerned Premier Danielle Smith’s government could alter or reinterpret a citizen petition process tied to Alberta’s place in Canada. Nenshi made the comments after the United Conservative government scheduled a committee meeting for Thursday to discuss a petition calling for Alberta to remain in Canada. The bipartisan committee is reviewing the petition under provincial rules governing citizen initiatives. According to Nenshi, the timing of the meeting has raised questions after a separate petition backed by Alberta separatists was reportedly l
b-c-premier-eby-to-raise-carbon-pricing-concerns-in-meeting-with-prime-minister-carney
BCMay 20, 2026

B.C. Premier Eby to raise carbon pricing concerns in meeting with Prime Minister Carney

B.C. Premier David Eby is set to meet Prime Minister Mark Carney on Wednesday, where he is expected to raise concerns over a proposed federal carbon pricing exemption for Alberta. The meeting follows comments made by Eby on Tuesday criticizing what he described as preferential treatment toward Alberta amid ongoing national policy discussions. Eby said the federal government should not focus its attention on premiers raising concerns about national unity while overlooking broader provincial consultation. The dispute comes after Prime Minister Carney and Alberta Premier Danielle Smith announced
pbo-says-canadian-governments-to-spend-1-billion-to-host-world-cup
CanadaMay 20, 2026

PBO says Canadian governments to spend $1 billion to host World Cup

The federal budget watchdog says Canada will spend just over $1 billion to host the World Cup this summer. That includes money from all levels of government, with the federal government contributing $473 million. The total averages to $82 million per game for the 13 games that will be played in Toronto and Vancouver. The parliamentary budget officer says that’s about in line with what previous host countries spent. In April, the federal government said it was allocating up to $145 million for security at the World Cup in addition to previously announced funding, with the money going toward r
IndiaMay 20, 2026

Heatwave to Persist Across Most Parts of Punjab and Haryana Until May 25, 2026

The intense heatwave conditions in Punjab continue to worsen with scorching temperatures and hot winds forcing people to remain indoors. Roads are appearing deserted during afternoon hours, with curfew-like conditions being witnessed in several areas. Amid the rising temperatures, the Meteorological Department in Chandigarh has issued a special weather bulletin warning of severe heatwave conditions across Punjab, Haryana and Chandigarh for the next seven days. According to the weather department, heatwave conditions are expected to prevail across most parts of Punjab and Haryana from May 19 t

Related News