22.78°C Vancouver

News

police-search-for-group-of-migrants-after-vehicle-collision-near-canada-u-s-border
CanadaJul 14, 2025

Police search for group of migrants after vehicle collision near Canada-U.S. border

Police say they are looking for a group of migrants who were inside a vehicle that collided near the Canada-U.S. border in southern Quebec. Authorities were called early Sunday to the scene in Hemmingford, Que., north of the New York border, where an SUV with two people collided with a vehicle carrying at least 10. The 48-year-old driver of the SUV was arrested for impaired driving. Provincial police spokesperson Sgt. Stéphane Tremblay alleges the people in the second vehicle are believed to be migrants who illegally crossed the border from the United States. He says four people from the migr
2-charged-with-exploiting-foreign-workers-with-90-hour-weeks-at-alberta-motel-gas-station
CanadaJul 11, 2025

2 charged with exploiting foreign workers with 90-hour weeks at Alberta motel, gas station

Two Edmonton men have been charged with human trafficking after police say several foreign workers were forced to clock up to 90 hours a week without proper pay. R-C-M-P say they started investigating last summer after receiving a complaint about exploitative working conditions at a gas station and motel owned by the men. The motel is in the northwestern town of Fox Creek, while the gas station is in Calmar, southwest of Edmonton. A 55-year-old man and his 26-year-old son face a total of five charges, and police say they're also looking into allegations of money laundering.
canada-adds-surprise-83-000-jobs-in-june-driving-unemployment-rate-down-to-6-9
CanadaJul 11, 2025

Canada adds surprise 83,000 jobs in June, driving unemployment rate down to 6.9%

Statistics Canada said Friday that the unemployment rate dropped a tenth of a percentage point to 6.9 per cent in June as the economy added some 83,000 jobs. The vast majority of those jobs were part-time, the agency said, with 47,000 positions added in the private sector. A Reuters poll of economists heading into Friday’s release had expected the jobless rate would rise to 7.1 per cent in June as employment levels held flat. The June figures buck the recent slowdown in the labour market. Last month was the first significant job gain since January and snapped a streak of three consecutive m
pm-says-ottawa-will-defend-workers-and-businesses-following-latest-u-s-trade-threats
CanadaJul 11, 2025

PM says Ottawa will defend workers and businesses following latest U.S. trade threats

Prime Minister Mark Carney says the Canadian government will "steadfastly" defend workers and businesses following the latest trade threats by U.S. President Donald Trump. In a post on social media, Carney says Canada will continue to work to secure a trade deal with the U.S. by a revised deadline of Aug. 1. In a letter to Carney on Thursday, Trump threatened to impose 35 per cent tariffs on Canadian goods by that date, evidently setting a new deadline for the trade talks that had been looking to wrap by July 21. Trump wrote if Canada works to stop the flow of fentanyl into the United States h
shots-fired-at-kaps-cafe-in-surrey
BCJul 10, 2025

Shots fired at Kap's Cafe in Surrey

Shots were been fired at the Kap's Cafe in Surrey, which opened just a few days ago. The incident took place early morning at around 1:50 am. Located near 84th Avenue and 120th Street, this cafe belongs to Kapil Sharma, a famous personality in the Hindi film industry and the world of stand-up comedy, and his wife Ginni. The cafe had a soft launch this weekend and no date had been announced yet for a major launch event. When the Connect Newsroom team assessed the scene, they found at least 10 bullet holes on one side of the cafe. Police markings could also be seen on them. In addition, the gla
canada-will-respond-to-trumps-50-percent-tariff-melanie-joly
CanadaJul 10, 2025

Canada will respond to Trump's 50 percent tariff: Melanie Joly

Canadian Industry Minister Melanie Joly said on Thursday that Canada will respond to US President Donald Trump's 50 percent tariff on copper imports. Trump's tariff will take effect from August 1. Joly said that we will fight against it, but she did not give any details about what steps Canada might take. It is worth noting that President Trump, describing copper as the second most used material in defense, had called it a matter of national security and said that he was imposing tariffs to prevent copper from coming from abroad. According to Natural Resources Canada, in 2023, the United S
canadian-government-decides-to-reimburse-car-dealers-for-electric-vehicle-subsidies
CanadaJul 10, 2025

Canadian government decides to reimburse car dealers for electric vehicle subsidies

The Canadian government has decided to reimburse car dealers for electric vehicle subsidies. In fact, car dealers had given customers rebates according to the subsidy before the federal government abruptly ended the subsidy program in January. Nearly six months after the program was shut down, Transport Canada is reopening its claims system so that dealerships can refund the rebates given to customers. Ottawa shut down the program after American electric car company Tesla filed millions of dollars in subsidy claims in a short period of time. The government said the funding allocated for th
wildfires-force-evacuations-of-garden-hill-snow-lake-in-manitoba
CanadaJul 10, 2025

Wildfires force evacuations of Garden Hill, Snow Lake in Manitoba

The wildfire threat is worsening in northern Manitoba, prompting alerts and evacuations for at least two more communities. Garden Hill First Nation, with a population of about 3,000, is being threatened by fire. Eleanor Olszewski, the federal minister for emergency management, says Ottawa has approved Manitoba's request for armed forces support and evacuations in the Garden Hill area are underway. The Town of Snow Lake has also issued a mandatory evacuation order and is telling its 1,000 residents to stay with friends or family or at a shelter 600 kilometres south in Winnipeg. Mayor Ron Scott
alberta-education-minister-to-give-update-on-new-rules-for-school-library-books
CanadaJul 10, 2025

Alberta education minister to give update on new rules for school library books

Alberta's education minister is set to provide an update today on the development of new provincial rules for school library books. Demetrios Nicolaides announced in May that Alberta would be setting new standards for the books. He said the review came after his ministry became aware of four coming-of-age graphic novels in school libraries in Edmonton and Calgary. Nicolaides said each of the books contained inappropriate content, including graphic sexual material as well as depictions of molestation, drug and alcohol use. A government survey on the topic launched after Nicolaides' anno

Just In

b-c-conservative-leader-attacks-eby-government-over-forestry-decline
BCAug 18, 2026

B.C. Conservative Leader Attacks Eby Government Over Forestry Decline

B.C. Conservative Party Leader John Rustad has accused Premier David Eby of blaming U.S. President Donald Trump’s tariffs for the province’s forestry-sector decline in an attempt to hide his government’s own failures. In a statement Tuesday, Rustad said U.S. tariffs are harmful and should be strongly opposed. However, he said forestry production in B.C.’s Interior began declining as early as 2016, long before Trump returned to office, and has now fallen by about 50 per cent. According to Rustad, poor provincial policies, permit processes that can take two to three years, and uncertaint
trumps-presidency-delays-quebec-sovereignty-referendum-says-parti-québécois
CanadaAug 18, 2026

Trump’s Presidency Delays Quebec Sovereignty Referendum, Says Parti Québécois

Parti Québécois leader Paul St-Pierre Plamondon says his party would not hold a referendum on Quebec sovereignty while Donald Trump remains president of the United States. St-Pierre Plamondon says the party still intends to hold a referendum on whether Quebec should separate from Canada during its first mandate if elected. However, he says such a crucial decision about Quebec’s future requires a clear and calm debate. He says the referendum debate should not be disrupted by American politics or unexpected announcements from the U.S. president. According to St-Pierre Plamondon, the unpredic
AlbertaAug 18, 2026

Sentencing Arguments Begin for Man Convicted of Sexually Assaulting Three Women

Sentencing arguments begin today for 62-year-old Richard Mantha, who was convicted of sexually assaulting three vulnerable women and drugging one of them. Mantha was found guilty of six offences following a trial that lasted more than two years. The full day has been set aside for the Crown and defence to present their arguments on what sentence he should receive. He was convicted of two counts of sexual assault, as well as choking while committing a sexual assault and administering a noxious substance. Mantha was also found guilty of assault with a weapon and uttering threats against a fourth
BCAug 18, 2026

Goldstream Falls swimming incident: 27-year-old man dies

A 27-year-old man has died after getting into distress while swimming near Goldstream Falls in Goldstream Provincial Park on Monday evening. West Shore RCMP said officers responded to the incident at around 7:35 p.m. on August 17. The man reportedly went underwater while swimming near the waterfall and did not resurface. Bystanders pulled him from the water and immediately began life-saving measures. Police, BC Emergency Health Services and Langford Fire Department later arrived and continued the emergency response. The man was taken to hospital for further treatment but later succumbed to his
poilievre-attacks-carney-government-over-ev-mandate
BCAug 18, 2026

Poilievre Attacks Carney Government Over EV Mandate

Canada’s main opposition leader, Pierre Poilievre, has launched a strong attack on Prime Minister Mark Carney’s government over its electric vehicle policy. Poilievre alleges that while the government is moving to scrap the existing EV sales mandate, it is planning to bring back a similar requirement through the “back door” using tougher emissions standards. According to a notice published in the Canada Gazette, the government has recently started the process of repealing the previous EV Sales Mandate, which required 20 per cent of new vehicles sold in 2026 to be electric. Reacting to