18.17°C Vancouver

May 26, 2025 4:16 PM - The Canadian Press

Judge rules hockey player's text inadmissible at trial of five former teammates

Share On
judge-rules-hockey-players-text-inadmissible-at-trial-of-five-former-teammates
In the text, Brett Howden describes to another then-teammate seeing one of the accused, Dillon Dube, slap the complainant on the buttocks "so hard" that it looked like it hurt. (Photo: The Canadian Press)

An Ontario judge has rejected prosecutors' final attempt to have a text message sent by a former world junior hockey player admitted as evidence in the sexual assault trial of five of his ex-teammates.

In the text, Brett Howden describes to another then-teammate seeing one of the accused, Dillon Dube, slap the complainant on the buttocks "so hard" that it looked like it hurt.

Prosecutors sought to have it admitted as a principled exception to hearsay, a mechanism through which hearsay — statements made outside court that lawyers raise to try to prove their contents are true — can be admitted as evidence if deemed necessary and reliable.

Superior Court Justice Maria Carroccia ruled this morning that the text does not meet the test for reliability and therefore cannot be admitted.

Dube, Michael McLeod, Alex Formenton, Carter Hart and Callan Foote have pleaded not guilty to sexual assault, and McLeod has also pleaded not guilty to an additional charge of being a party to the offence of sexual assault.

The trial centres on an encounter that took place in a London, Ont., hotel room in the early hours of June 19, 2018.

Many of the players on the 2018 national world junior team were in the city at the time for a Hockey Canada gala marking their victory at that year's championship, court has heard.

Howden sent Taylor Raddysh the text a week later as part of a broader exchange on the events of that night and the news that Hockey Canada was looking into what happened.

Prosecutors previously sought to have the text related to the slap admitted as evidence as a "past recollection recorded" — a prior statement captured in some form — due to Howden's lack of memory even after reviewing his previous statements.

Part of the test for that is establishing whether the witness can vouch for the statement's truthfulness, court heard. Carroccia found that while Howden said he wasn't trying to lie when he sent the text, he didn't say it was true.

The Crown said last week that applying to have the message admitted as a principled exception to hearsay was the last method at its disposal.

Latest news

BCAug 20, 2026

Single-Vehicle Collision Leads to Drug Trafficking Investigation

On August 19, 2026, at approximately 8:45 p.m., West Shore RCMP Frontline officers responded to a report of a single-vehicle collision involving a pickup truck near the intersection of Island Highway and Wale Road in Colwood. A witness told police that the vehicle had been performing a burnout before crashing into a telephone pole. Officers attended the scene and identified the driver as a 53-year-old man whose driver's licence had been suspended. Although the driver was determined to be sober, police found evidence of illicit narcotics inside the vehicle during their investigation. The man wa
carney-speaks-with-mexican-president-sheinbaum-on-trade-cusma-and-wildfire-cooperation
CanadaAug 20, 2026

Carney speaks with Mexican President Sheinbaum on trade, CUSMA and wildfire cooperation

Prime Minister Mark Carney spoke by phone with Mexican President Claudia Sheinbaum to discuss bilateral trade relations and ways to strengthen trade across North America. During the conversation, Carney thanked Sheinbaum for Mexico’s support in Canada’s wildfire response, including the deployment of more than 400 firefighters and support personnel. The two leaders also discussed ongoing developments affecting the Canada-United States-Mexico Agreement (CUSMA), stressing the importance of advancing the agreement to protect businesses and workers and provide greater stability in trade. Carney
CanadaAug 20, 2026

Advance Voting for 3 Federal By-Elections Begins Friday in Canada

Advance voting for three federal by-elections in Canada is set to begin Friday. According to Elections Canada, advance voting will take place for four consecutive days, from Friday through Monday, between 9 a.m. and 9 p.m. The by-elections are being held in the federal ridings of North Vancouver–Capilano in British Columbia, Beaches–East York in Toronto, and Chicoutimi–Le Fjord in Quebec. Election Day for all three ridings is scheduled for August 31. The three by-elections are part of a series of federal by-elections being held across Canada this year. Earlier, on April 13, two federal b
WorldAug 20, 2026

43 Dead, 16 Rescued After Boat Capsizes in Nigeria

At least 43 people have died after an overloaded boat capsized in Nigeria’s northwestern Sokoto state, while 16 people have been rescued. Local officials said many of those who died were children. Abdulkadir Yusuf, a regional official with the National Inland Waterways Authority, said around 40 bodies had been recovered and rescue operations were continuing. Local lawmaker Nasiru Adamu put the death toll at 43. Residents said the boat was carrying farm owners and workers hired to harvest rice. However, reports differ on the number of people aboard the boat. One resident said more than 70 peo
BCAug 20, 2026

Garbage-Dumping Videos Go Viral in Abbotsford, Police Launch Investigation

Police in Abbotsford have launched an investigation after two separate videos showing garbage being dumped in a waterway and a local park went viral on social media. The two incidents are believed to have occurred in late July. In one video, a woman is seen dumping garbage at Mill Lake Park, while another video shows her dumping garbage near Bluejay Elementary School. According to Sgt. Paul Walker, police had not received any reports about the incidents before the videos went viral. However, after the videos were widely shared, around 30 people contacted or tagged the police department, provid

Related News