18.82°C Vancouver

News

ontario-declares-measles-outbreak-over-after-more-than-2-300-infections
CanadaOct 09, 2025

Ontario declares measles outbreak over after more than 2,300 infections

A weekly Public Health Ontario epidemiology report says the measles outbreak that began in the province almost a year ago is over. The report says Ontario declared the end of the outbreak on Monday using national guidance that says an outbreak is complete 46 days after the onset of a rash in the last case. It says the last person to get measles linked to the outbreak got the rash on Aug. 21. The report says 2,375 people had been infected in the outbreak, spanning 26 public health units. The spread started on Oct. 18 last year after exposure to someone who got measles in New Bru
rcmp-sposu-make-significant-drug-seizure-and-four-arrests-in-ongoing-drug-trafficking-investigation
CanadaOct 09, 2025

B.C. police seize $1M in assets related to alleged drug-trafficking operation

Police in British Columbia say a six-month investigation into a suspected illicit drug trafficking ring they describe as large and "sophisticated" has led to four arrests and the seizure of more than $1 million in assets connected to the operation.RCMP say the trafficking operation is alleged to have supplied "large volumes" of illicit drugs across the province, from the Lower Mainland to the Okanagan.They say the probe that began last February led police to execute a search warrant last month at a home in Surrey's Guilford neighbourhood, where officers found illicit drugs as well as equipment
missing-person-for-location-aaron-bengry
CanadaOct 09, 2025

Missing Person for Location – Aaron Bengry

Surrey Police Service (SPS) and the RCMP Surrey Provincial Operations Support Unit (SPOSU) are requesting the public’s assistance to locate a 35-year-old missing man. Aaron Bengry was first reported missing to the Surrey RCMP in May 2023. Family members reached out to police after falling out of contact with Aaron over an extended period of time. Police have exhausted all efforts to locate Aaron without success and are hoping members of the community may have information on his whereabouts. Aaron was last seen in December 2021 in the 9600 block of King George Boulevard. Family or friends ha
gaza-peace-plan-agreed-to-canada-calls-for-immediate-and-unimpeded-aid
CanadaOct 09, 2025

Gaza peace plan agreed to, Canada calls for immediate and unimpeded aid

Prime Minister Mark Carney has responded to news that Israel and Hamas have agreed to the first phase of a peace plan that would pause fighting in Gaza. On the social media platform X, the prime minister offered his congratulations to U.S. President Donald Trump for orchestrating the deal. He also thanked Qatar, Egypt and Turkey for "their tireless work to support the negotiations." The initial phase of the U.S.-backed peace plan calls for Hamas to release all of the 20 living hostages, and for Israel to pull its troops in Gaza back to an agreed-upon line. Foreign Affairs Minister Anita Anand,
house-committee-adds-language-security-checks-to-lost-canadians-bill
CanadaOct 08, 2025

House committee adds language, security checks to 'Lost Canadians' bill

The House of Commons immigration committee is recommending most adults eligible for birthright citizenship under the "Lost Canadians" bill fulfil similar requirements to immigrant applicants, on language, knowledge of Canadian history and security checks. MPs on the committee adopted amendments on Tuesday to Bill C-3, which will go back to the House of Commons for approval. The bill responds to a 2023 Ontario court ruling overturning a Stephen Harper-era law which prohibited Canadians born aboard from passing down citizenship if their children were not born in Canada The bill proposes that in
canada-post-union-set-for-meeting-with-ottawa-as-strike-stretches-on
CanadaOct 08, 2025

Canada Post union set for meeting with Ottawa as strike stretches on

The union representing striking Canada Post employees says it will meet with the federal minister in charge of the Crown corporation after accusing Ottawa of trampling on the collective bargaining process. Postal workers took to the picket lines nearly two weeks ago after Procurement Minister Joël Lightbound announced sweeping changes to Canada Post's mandate that would allow the struggling postal service to overhaul its operations in the midst of negotiations with the union. The Canadian Union of Postal Workers is asking the minister to roll back the changes that include permitting the end o
cadaver-dogs-fail-to-find-remains-in-search-for-missing-nova-scotia-children
CanadaOct 08, 2025

Cadaver dogs fail to find remains in search for missing Nova Scotia children

Nova Scotia RCMP say two tracking dogs trained to search for human remains have failed to find any trace of two children reported missing from their rural home more than five months ago. The Mounties say that in late September, the two cadaver dogs and their handlers covered 40 kilometres around the small community of Lansdowne Station, N.S., where six-year-old Lilly Sullivan and her four-year-old brother Jack were reported missing May 2. Investigators say the dogs searched the property in the province's northeast where the children went missing, trails along and near a pipeline, and an area w
carney-returns-to-ottawa-without-a-deal-to-end-the-u-s-tariffs
CanadaOct 08, 2025

Carney returns to Ottawa without a deal to end the U.S. tariffs

Prime Minister Mark Carney returns to Ottawa today without any deals to remove U.S. tariffs from Canadian goods, but he is leaving two of his key ministers behind to keep pressing Canada's case. Carney met with U.S. President Donald Trump in the Oval Office on Tuesday afternoon, the second such meeting between the two leaders in less than six months. Trump told reporters ahead of that meeting that Carney was going to walk away "very happy" but showed no signs of relenting on tariffs and no deal was announced. Canada-U.S. Trade Minister Dominic LeBlanc told reporters at a press conference follo
mps-launch-probe-of-trucking-sector-after-bloc-calls-out-labour-standards
CanadaOct 07, 2025

MPs launch probe of trucking sector after Bloc calls out labour standards

A House of Commons committee is set to launch a study of labour standards in the trucking sector today after the Bloc Québécois called on the government to end what it calls exploitative practices. The transport committee is launching a study of an industry business model which sees transport companies classify drivers as independent contractors rather than employees. The Canadian Trucking Alliance has called the model the "largest tax, labour misclassification, safety and human trafficking scheme in Canada," arguing that it manipulates the tax base and jeopardizes the health and safety of C

Just In

18-year-old-shooting-suspect-turns-himself-in-to-burnaby-rcmp
BCAug 21, 2026

18-year-old shooting suspect turns himself in to Burnaby RCMP

A suspect wanted in connection with a December 2025 shooting in North Burnaby has turned himself in to authorities. Burnaby RCMP said officers responded on Dec. 19, 2025, to a report of a shooting near Phillips Avenue and Woodbrook Place. A man was found suffering from gunshot wounds and was taken to hospital for treatment. The RCMP’s Investigative Support Team took over the investigation. On Dec. 25, charges were laid and an arrest warrant was issued for 18-year-old Ronin Tajali. Tajali has since surrendered to police and remains in custody awaiting a bail hearing. Police thanked the public
leaders-condemn-nanaksar-gurdwara-attack-call-for-action-against-anti-sikh-hate
AlbertaAug 21, 2026

Leaders Condemn Nanaksar Gurdwara Attack, Call for Action Against Anti-Sikh Hate

Federal NDP MP for Edmonton Strathcona Heather McPherson, along with leaders from across the country, has strongly condemned the attack at Nanaksar Gurdwara Sahib and expressed solidarity with the Sikh community. They called for a full investigation into the incident, urging authorities to take the growing anti-Sikh hatred in Canada seriously and implement stronger measures to protect places of worship. McPherson said everyone has the right to practise their religion freely and that such violent attacks are unacceptable under any circumstances. Meanwhile, Surrey-Newton MP Sukh Dhaliwal express
poilievre-warns-accepting-u-s-tariffs-could-devastate-canadas-industrial-sector
BCAug 21, 2026

Poilievre Warns Accepting U.S. Tariffs Could Devastate Canada’s Industrial Sector

Conservative Party Leader Pierre Poilievre has lashed out at the Liberal government during ongoing Canada-U.S. trade talks in Washington, warning that accepting unilateral U.S. tariffs could devastate Canada’s industrial sector. Speaking to reporters in Kitchener, Ontario, Poilievre strongly criticized the proposed 25 per cent U.S. tariffs on steel and aluminum. He said that if Canada accepts such discriminatory terms, major Canadian businesses and factories could leave the country, causing long-term damage to the Canadian economy. Taking aim at Prime Minister Mark Carney, Poilievre said Car
AlbertaAug 21, 2026

Edmonton Nanaksar Gurdwara Stabbing Leaves Two Injured, Suspect Arrested

A stabbing incident at Nanaksar Gurdwara Sahib in Edmonton early Friday morning left two people injured. Police have arrested a suspect at the scene. According to police, the incident occurred at around 5:08 a.m. at the gurdwara located near 14 Street and Horsehills Road. The two injured individuals were treated at the scene, and their injuries were considered non-life-threatening. Police are questioning the arrested suspect, while officers continue their investigation in and around the gurdwara to ensure the safety of the congregation. Meanwhile, the World Sikh Organization of Canada said in
42-year-old-man-charged-in-immigration-fraud-case-arrest-warrant-issued
CanadaAug 21, 2026

42-Year-Old Man Charged in Immigration Fraud Case, Arrest Warrant Issued

The Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) has laid five charges against 42-year-old Abul Qasim for allegedly helping people enter Canada illegally and committing immigration fraud. An arrest warrant has also been issued for him. According to the CBSA, Qasim previously lived in Montreal but left Canada in June 2025 and is believed to be currently outside the country. The arrest warrant was issued after he failed to appear in response to a summons issued by a Montreal court. The CBSA began investigating the alleged scheme in 2024 after receiving confidential information from Immigration, Refugees