22.88°C Vancouver

News

canadas-inflation-rises-to-2-4-in-september-amid-grocery-and-rent-pressures
CanadaOct 21, 2025

Canada’s inflation rises to 2.4% in September amid grocery and rent pressures

Canada’s annual inflation rate rose to 2.4 per cent in September, according to new data from Statistics Canada, driven by higher grocery bills and modest increases in gasoline and rent costs. The latest Consumer Price Index report shows inflation up from 1.9 per cent in August, slightly above economists’ forecasts. While gasoline prices were lower than a year earlier due to the removal of the federal carbon charge, the annual decline was smaller than in August — a factor that nudged overall inflation higher. Food prices continued to climb, with fresh vegetables up 1.9 per cent compared t
bank-of-canada-to-resume-economic-forecasts-with-cautious-outlook-amid-global-uncertainty
CanadaOct 17, 2025

Bank of Canada to resume economic forecasts with cautious outlook amid global uncertainty

Bank of Canada Governor Tiff Macklem says the central bank will take a cautious approach as it resumes formal economic forecasting later this month, acknowledging the need for “humility” in the face of continued trade uncertainty. The Bank of Canada is expected to release its next economic outlook alongside an interest rate announcement on October 29 its first full forecast this year. The central bank paused detailed projections earlier in 2025, citing unpredictable global conditions tied to U.S. tariffs and shifting trade relations. Speaking from Washington, D.C., where he is attending th
montreal-man-admits-to-threatening-parti-québécois-leader-and-his-family
CanadaOct 17, 2025

Montreal man admits to threatening Parti Québécois leader and his family

A Montreal resident has pleaded guilty to making death threats against Parti Québécois Leader Paul St-Pierre Plamondon and his family. Court records show that 42-year-old Philippe Clément-Laberge entered the plea on Tuesday at the Montreal courthouse. The threats were reportedly made in early March 2024, prompting a police investigation that led to his arrest shortly afterward. St-Pierre Plamondon publicly addressed the incident last year after news of the threats surfaced, saying he was concerned for his family’s safety but expressed confidence in the justice system’s response. The cas
ottawa-announces-plan-to-hire-1-000-new-border-officers-expand-benefits-for-frontline-responders
CanadaOct 17, 2025

Ottawa announces plan to hire 1,000 new border officers, expand benefits for frontline responders

Prime Minister Mark Carney says the federal government will move ahead with new border security and public safety investments as part of the upcoming federal budget, including hiring 1,000 additional Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) officers. According to the announcement, the new officers will focus on curbing the movement of stolen goods, illegal firearms, and drugs, while enforcing import measures and investigating unfair trade practices. The government also plans to increase the CBSA recruit stipend from $125 to $525 per week the first raise since 2005 to attract and retain new recruit
imf-chief-says-canada-well-positioned-among-g7-nations-despite-rising-deficit
CanadaOct 17, 2025

IMF chief says Canada well positioned among G7 nations despite rising deficit

The head of the International Monetary Fund says Canada remains in one of the strongest fiscal positions among G7 countries, even as Ottawa prepares to run a higher deficit this year. IMF Managing Director Kristalina Georgieva made the remarks Thursday during the organization’s annual meetings in Washington. Asked about the fiscal health of advanced economies, she said some G7 members face deeper challenges, while “Germany and Canada stand up in that regard.” Georgieva added that Canada has room to make targeted investments in areas that could boost productivity and long-term growth. She
CanadaOct 17, 2025

Police seize 72 illegal handguns linked to cross-border trafficking probe in northern Ontario

An Ontario Provincial Police investigation into cross-border drug and weapons trafficking has led to the seizure of more than 70 illegal handguns from a tractor-trailer stopped in northern Ontario. Police say the truck was pulled over at a Ministry of Transportation inspection station near Temiskaming Shores on September 11, following an eight-month probe that began in the Greater Toronto Area. Officers reportedly discovered 72 U.S.-made handguns and 66 prohibited devices during the search. Investigators believe the shipment originated in Toronto and was part of a larger network involved in co
poilievre-accuses-rcmp-of-shielding-trudeau-era-controversies-rcmp-minister-reject-claims
CanadaOct 17, 2025

Poilievre accuses RCMP of shielding Trudeau-era controversies; RCMP, minister reject claims

Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre is accusing the Royal Canadian Mounted Police of protecting former prime minister Justin Trudeau from potential criminal charges during past controversies, a claim the RCMP and federal government strongly deny. In an interview posted on the YouTube channel Northern Perspective, Poilievre alleged that the RCMP “covered up” what he described as scandals tied to Trudeau’s time in office. He said several incidents “should have involved jail time,” pointing specifically to the 2019 SNC-Lavalin affair and a 2016 family vacation at the Aga Khan’s priva
carney-to-brief-premier-ford-on-ongoing-u-s-trade-negotiations
CanadaOct 16, 2025

Carney to Brief Premier Ford on Ongoing U.S. Trade Negotiations

Prime Minister Mark Carney says he will meet with Ontario Premier Doug Ford today to provide an update on Canada’s ongoing negotiations with the United States over sector-specific trade agreements. Carney confirmed that federal officials are engaged in intensive discussions with Washington on key economic sectors, including energy, aluminum and steel. He said the meeting with Ford will focus on the tariffs affecting Ontario’s automotive, forestry and manufacturing industries, which have faced trade pressures in recent months. Premier Ford recently urged Ottawa to take a tougher stance if t
new-renal-facility-at-surrey-memorial-hospital-to-expand-kidney-care-by-2026
CanadaOct 16, 2025

New Renal Facility at Surrey Memorial Hospital to Expand Kidney Care by 2026

Construction of Surrey Memorial Hospital’s new renal facility is moving forward, with the centre expected to open in the summer of 2026. Once complete, the facility will expand kidney-care services by 55 per cent and increase patient capacity to meet the rising demand for treatment in Surrey and neighbouring communities. The project is part of a broader provincial strategy to strengthen health-care services across the region. Alongside the new renal unit, the Province’s plan includes establishing a medical school at Simon Fraser University, building a new hospital and BC Cancer Centre in C

Just In

b-c-conservative-leader-attacks-eby-government-over-forestry-decline
BCAug 18, 2026

B.C. Conservative Leader Attacks Eby Government Over Forestry Decline

B.C. Conservative Party Leader John Rustad has accused Premier David Eby of blaming U.S. President Donald Trump’s tariffs for the province’s forestry-sector decline in an attempt to hide his government’s own failures. In a statement Tuesday, Rustad said U.S. tariffs are harmful and should be strongly opposed. However, he said forestry production in B.C.’s Interior began declining as early as 2016, long before Trump returned to office, and has now fallen by about 50 per cent. According to Rustad, poor provincial policies, permit processes that can take two to three years, and uncertaint
trumps-presidency-delays-quebec-sovereignty-referendum-says-parti-québécois
CanadaAug 18, 2026

Trump’s Presidency Delays Quebec Sovereignty Referendum, Says Parti Québécois

Parti Québécois leader Paul St-Pierre Plamondon says his party would not hold a referendum on Quebec sovereignty while Donald Trump remains president of the United States. St-Pierre Plamondon says the party still intends to hold a referendum on whether Quebec should separate from Canada during its first mandate if elected. However, he says such a crucial decision about Quebec’s future requires a clear and calm debate. He says the referendum debate should not be disrupted by American politics or unexpected announcements from the U.S. president. According to St-Pierre Plamondon, the unpredic
AlbertaAug 18, 2026

Sentencing Arguments Begin for Man Convicted of Sexually Assaulting Three Women

Sentencing arguments begin today for 62-year-old Richard Mantha, who was convicted of sexually assaulting three vulnerable women and drugging one of them. Mantha was found guilty of six offences following a trial that lasted more than two years. The full day has been set aside for the Crown and defence to present their arguments on what sentence he should receive. He was convicted of two counts of sexual assault, as well as choking while committing a sexual assault and administering a noxious substance. Mantha was also found guilty of assault with a weapon and uttering threats against a fourth
BCAug 18, 2026

Goldstream Falls swimming incident: 27-year-old man dies

A 27-year-old man has died after getting into distress while swimming near Goldstream Falls in Goldstream Provincial Park on Monday evening. West Shore RCMP said officers responded to the incident at around 7:35 p.m. on August 17. The man reportedly went underwater while swimming near the waterfall and did not resurface. Bystanders pulled him from the water and immediately began life-saving measures. Police, BC Emergency Health Services and Langford Fire Department later arrived and continued the emergency response. The man was taken to hospital for further treatment but later succumbed to his
poilievre-attacks-carney-government-over-ev-mandate
BCAug 18, 2026

Poilievre Attacks Carney Government Over EV Mandate

Canada’s main opposition leader, Pierre Poilievre, has launched a strong attack on Prime Minister Mark Carney’s government over its electric vehicle policy. Poilievre alleges that while the government is moving to scrap the existing EV sales mandate, it is planning to bring back a similar requirement through the “back door” using tougher emissions standards. According to a notice published in the Canada Gazette, the government has recently started the process of repealing the previous EV Sales Mandate, which required 20 per cent of new vehicles sold in 2026 to be electric. Reacting to