25.84°C Vancouver

Aug 8, 2025 8:41 PM -

Canadian Victoria Mboko is the National Bank Open champion

Share On
canadian-victoria-mboko-is-the-national-bank-open-champion
(Photo credits - This image is a screengrab of the post shared by Tennis Canada on X)

Canadian lawn tennis player Victoria Mboko has won the National Bank Open title. The 18-year-old Mboko defeated four-time Grand Slam winner Naomi Osaka 2-6, 6-4, 6-1 in the final.

After losing the first set, Victoria Mboko made a strong comeback in the match, winning the second and third sets in an almost one-sided fashion and taking the match and the title.

The spectators also became extremely excited during the second and third set comebacks of the Canadian player, who was playing in front of the home crowd, and the umpire had to repeatedly ask the spectators to be quiet and not make noise between points.

After winning the first WTA title of her career, Boko first went to hug her coach and family sitting in the courtside box.

Tennis Canada's post on X:

Victoria Mboko's win by the numbers

A moving point in her young career, Vicky's first WTA 1000 title win is one for the history books

Let's dive into the stats that show just how impressive this victory truly is

Read more

https://bit.ly/4fremVo

Latest news

poilievre-wants-reasonable-self-defence-defined-in-criminal-code
CanadaAug 29, 2025

Poilievre wants 'reasonable' self-defence defined in Criminal Code

Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre wants the government to amend the Criminal Code to say that the use of force is presumed to be reasonable to defend your home is someone breaks into it. He says if the government doesn't do this, his party will introduce a private member's bill aimed at making the change this fall during a press conference in Brampton, Ont.. This comes after a 44-year-old Lindsay, Ont. man was charged with assault in an altercation after a man with a crossbow allegedly broke into his apartment. The alleged intruder, a 41-year-old man also from Lindsay, was airlifted to hosp
fort-st-john-rcmp-arrest-two-males-and-execute-search-warrant-in-drug-investigation
BCAug 29, 2025

Fort St John RCMP arrest two males and execute search warrant in drug investigation

On August 15, 2025, the Fort St John RCMP Street Enforcement Team completed a drug trafficking investigation with the search of a hotel room near 93 Avenue and 100 Street in Fort St John, BC. The search followed the arrest of two males that day after they attempted to flee from Police in the parking lot of the hotel. The incident resulted in damage to police vehicles and the suspect vehicle. Inside the suspect vehicle, Police located drugs, currency and two loaded handguns; one of which had been converted to fire fully automatic. Police executed a search warrant on the room the males were sta
police-charge-18-year-old-man-after-three-people-stabbed-at-calgary-stampede
AlbertaAug 29, 2025

Police charge 18-year-old man after three people stabbed at Calgary Stampede

Police have charged a man with three counts of aggravated assault for stabbings at the Calgary Stampede last month. Police say they identified the 18-year-old following an extensive investigation that included witness interviews and camera footage. Officers executed a search warrant of the suspect's house and seized a folding knife and clothing they say believe are consistent with the stabbings. The man is scheduled to appear in court next week. Three males were stabbed in an area of the Stampede midway, including two 18-year-olds and one 15-year-old. Police have said all three
bc-transit-services-expand-in-kamloops
BCAug 29, 2025

BC Transit services expand in Kamloops

People using transit in Kamloops will see improved and expanded transit options with extended hours of service on several routes starting Monday, Sept. 1, 2025. “Extending handyDART hours and adding service on statutory holidays means more people in Kamloops will have access to the custom transportation service they rely on when they need it,” said George Anderson, parliamentary secretary for transit. “This expansion supports a more inclusive, connected community and ensures that transit keeps pace with the needs of our growing province.” To support increasing ridership and convenient
cbsa-plans-to-use-ai-to-screen-people-entering-the-country
CanadaAug 29, 2025

CBSA plans to use AI to screen people entering the country

The Canada Border Services Agency is working on an AI-based tool to screen all people and goods entering Canada and assess whether they are at risk of breaking the law. The tool aims to help border service officers decide who to send for secondary inspection. The AI tool could be implemented as early as 2027. Anyone identified as a higher risk could be selected for further inspection. Details about the tool are limited at this time, but it aims to use data to predict which individuals may pose a security or legal threat. However, experts are concerned that officers may be relying too heavily

Related News