19.95°C Vancouver

News

carney-set-to-meet-trump-and-sheinbaum-during-world-cup-draw-events-in-washington
CanadaDec 04, 2025

Carney set to meet Trump and Sheinbaum during World Cup draw events in Washington

Prime Minister Mark Carney is expected to hold short, separate discussions with U.S. President Donald Trump and Mexican President Claudia Sheinbaum on Friday as all three leaders gather in Washington for the FIFA World Cup draw. The Prime Minister’s Office confirmed a brief encounter with Trump at the Kennedy Center. The schedule coincides with preparations for the 2026 World Cup, jointly hosted by Canada, the United States, and Mexico. While Carney had previously suggested he would likely “see the president around there,” Friday’s interactions mark the first direct contact between the
atlantic-canada-hit-by-early-winter-storm-with-heavy-snow-and-damaging-winds
CanadaDec 03, 2025

Atlantic Canada hit by early winter storm with heavy snow and damaging winds

A powerful early season storm is moving across Atlantic Canada today, bringing heavy, wet snow and winds strong enough to cause coastal flooding in several provinces. Environment Canada has issued multiple snowfall warnings across Nova Scotia and Newfoundland, where conditions began to deteriorate overnight. Forecasters say communities under yellow level alerts can expect 20 to 30 centimetres of snow by Wednesday afternoon. Higher risk areas in northern Cape Breton and parts of central Newfoundland remain under orange alerts, with totals that could reach 50 centimetres by evening. The agency w
canada-commits-more-than-200-million-in-new-support-for-ukraine
CanadaDec 03, 2025

Canada commits more than $200 million in new support for Ukraine

Canada is increasing its financial and military support for Ukraine, with federal ministers confirming more than $200 million in new commitments as the conflict with Russia continues to dominate international security discussions. National Defence Minister David McGuinty said Canada will join NATO allies in purchasing a package of critical military capabilities sourced from the United States, with Canada contributing $200 million toward the shared procurement plan. The announcement was made as Foreign Affairs Minister Anita Anand attended a meeting of NATO foreign ministers in Brussels. Anand
vancouver-police-warn-of-rising-distraction-thefts-targeting-seniors
CanadaDec 02, 2025

Vancouver Police warn of rising distraction thefts targeting seniors

Vancouver Police are urging residents to take extra precautions after a sharp increase in distraction thefts reported in the city last month, with most incidents occurring in East Vancouver. Investigators say 20 cases were recorded in November, representing a significant jump compared to the same month last year. Police say the thefts typically target older adults and involve suspects approaching victims in public areas near their homes. Officers describe a consistent pattern in which a person offers fake jewelry and invades the victim’s personal space, using sleight-of-hand techniques to qu
rcmp-says-national-crackdown-seized-hundreds-of-kilograms-of-fentanyl-and-disrupted-trafficking-networks
CanadaDec 02, 2025

RCMP says national crackdown seized hundreds of kilograms of fentanyl and disrupted trafficking networks

A months-long enforcement initiative involving the RCMP and several other police agencies across Canada has resulted in the seizure of 386 kilograms of fentanyl along with large quantities of other illegal drugs. The coordinated effort ran from late May to the end of October and focused on production sites, trafficking groups and the financial networks that support the illicit drug trade. Police say the operation led to thousands of arrests and charges nationwide. That included 217 individuals accused of trafficking fentanyl while already out on bail, highlighting what investigators describe a
CanadaDec 01, 2025

Algoma Steel announces 1,000 layoffs as U.S. tariffs force early transition to new production model

Algoma Steel says it will lay off roughly 1,000 employees as the company accelerates a major shift in its operations to respond to steep U.S. trade tariffs. The Sault Ste. Marie–based producer confirmed the notices were issued Monday, with the cuts taking effect in March. Company representatives say the 50 per cent tariff imposed by the United States last year sharply reduced access to its largest export market. With about 2,700 employees, Algoma has been among the Canadian steelmakers most affected by the ongoing trade dispute, which replaced a previously integrated North American steel sup
carney-to-adjust-federal-cabinet-after-guilbeault-steps-down-over-alberta-energy-deal
CanadaDec 01, 2025

Carney to adjust federal cabinet after Guilbeault steps down over Alberta energy deal

Prime Minister Mark Carney is preparing a limited cabinet shuffle on Monday, following the sudden resignation of Steven Guilbeault late last week. Guilbeault left his role as Minister of Canadian Identity and Culture and as the government’s Quebec Lieutenant, a decision that came only hours after Ottawa unveiled a new energy agreement with Alberta. In a letter made public Thursday, Guilbeault wrote that he respects the prime minister’s efforts to navigate what he described as a period of “profound disruption,” but said he could not support the memorandum of understanding with Alberta.
police-launch-homicide-investigation-after-late-night-shooting-in-surrey
CanadaDec 01, 2025

Police launch homicide investigation after late-night shooting in Surrey

A man has died after a late-night shooting in Surrey’s Guildford area, prompting homicide investigators to take over the case. Surrey Provincial Operations Support Unit officers were called to the 10400 block of 152 Street shortly before midnight on Friday, where they found a man with critical gunshot wounds. Despite efforts by first responders, he was pronounced dead at the scene. The Integrated Homicide Investigation Team has assumed conduct of the file, marking Surrey’s sixth homicide of 2025. IHIT says the investigation remains in its early stages, with officers working alongside the S
canadas-defence-minister-anita-anand-to-lead-mission-to-brussels-for-eu-and-nato-talks-on
CanadaDec 01, 2025

Canada’s Defence Minister Anita Anand to lead mission to Brussels for EU and NATO talks on

Canada’s Defence Minister Anita Anand is travelling to Brussels this week for a series of high-level engagements with European Union and NATO officials, the federal government confirmed Monday. The trip marks a significant step in Ottawa’s ongoing efforts to deepen transatlantic cooperation on security, economic resilience and Arctic strategy. During her visit, Minister Anand is set to meet senior EU leaders on Tuesday. The agenda is expected to include discussions on strengthening supply chains, advancing shared economic-security objectives and coordinating further sanctions and measures

Just In

b-c-conservative-leader-attacks-eby-government-over-forestry-decline
BCAug 18, 2026

B.C. Conservative Leader Attacks Eby Government Over Forestry Decline

B.C. Conservative Party Leader John Rustad has accused Premier David Eby of blaming U.S. President Donald Trump’s tariffs for the province’s forestry-sector decline in an attempt to hide his government’s own failures. In a statement Tuesday, Rustad said U.S. tariffs are harmful and should be strongly opposed. However, he said forestry production in B.C.’s Interior began declining as early as 2016, long before Trump returned to office, and has now fallen by about 50 per cent. According to Rustad, poor provincial policies, permit processes that can take two to three years, and uncertaint
trumps-presidency-delays-quebec-sovereignty-referendum-says-parti-québécois
CanadaAug 18, 2026

Trump’s Presidency Delays Quebec Sovereignty Referendum, Says Parti Québécois

Parti Québécois leader Paul St-Pierre Plamondon says his party would not hold a referendum on Quebec sovereignty while Donald Trump remains president of the United States. St-Pierre Plamondon says the party still intends to hold a referendum on whether Quebec should separate from Canada during its first mandate if elected. However, he says such a crucial decision about Quebec’s future requires a clear and calm debate. He says the referendum debate should not be disrupted by American politics or unexpected announcements from the U.S. president. According to St-Pierre Plamondon, the unpredic
AlbertaAug 18, 2026

Sentencing Arguments Begin for Man Convicted of Sexually Assaulting Three Women

Sentencing arguments begin today for 62-year-old Richard Mantha, who was convicted of sexually assaulting three vulnerable women and drugging one of them. Mantha was found guilty of six offences following a trial that lasted more than two years. The full day has been set aside for the Crown and defence to present their arguments on what sentence he should receive. He was convicted of two counts of sexual assault, as well as choking while committing a sexual assault and administering a noxious substance. Mantha was also found guilty of assault with a weapon and uttering threats against a fourth
BCAug 18, 2026

Goldstream Falls swimming incident: 27-year-old man dies

A 27-year-old man has died after getting into distress while swimming near Goldstream Falls in Goldstream Provincial Park on Monday evening. West Shore RCMP said officers responded to the incident at around 7:35 p.m. on August 17. The man reportedly went underwater while swimming near the waterfall and did not resurface. Bystanders pulled him from the water and immediately began life-saving measures. Police, BC Emergency Health Services and Langford Fire Department later arrived and continued the emergency response. The man was taken to hospital for further treatment but later succumbed to his
poilievre-attacks-carney-government-over-ev-mandate
BCAug 18, 2026

Poilievre Attacks Carney Government Over EV Mandate

Canada’s main opposition leader, Pierre Poilievre, has launched a strong attack on Prime Minister Mark Carney’s government over its electric vehicle policy. Poilievre alleges that while the government is moving to scrap the existing EV sales mandate, it is planning to bring back a similar requirement through the “back door” using tougher emissions standards. According to a notice published in the Canada Gazette, the government has recently started the process of repealing the previous EV Sales Mandate, which required 20 per cent of new vehicles sold in 2026 to be electric. Reacting to