20.28°C Vancouver

News

defence-minister-says-he-learned-of-possible-damage-to-canadian-assets-in-kuwait-strike-from-media-report
CanadaMar 19, 2026

Defence minister says he learned of possible damage to Canadian assets in Kuwait strike from media report

Defence Minister David McGuinty says he was unaware of potential damage to Canadian military assets in Kuwait following an Iranian airstrike until a media report raised the issue. Speaking to reporters in Kitchener, McGuinty said he learned about the “situation” while travelling overseas with the prime minister, but declined to confirm whether Canadian equipment or facilities were hit, citing operational security concerns. The Quebec newspaper La Presse reported on March 12 that satellite imagery analysis suggested the Canadian section of Ali Al-Salem Air Base may have sustained damage dur
canada-to-spend-307m-on-new-modular-rifles-to-replace-aging-army-weapons
CanadaMar 19, 2026

Canada to spend $307M on new modular rifles to replace aging army weapons

The federal government has approved a $307 million contract to purchase 30,000 new modular rifles for the Canadian Army, replacing weapons that have been in service for more than three decades. According to a federal procurement announcement, the rifles will be supplied by Colt Canada under an initial three-year agreement. The deal includes an option to acquire an additional 35,000 rifles beyond the initial order. Defence procurement Secretary of State Stephen Fuhr said the purchase is intended to modernize frontline equipment and address long-standing concerns about the aging C7 and C8 rifles
chinese-ev-maker-byd-eyes-canadian-dealership-rollout-after-tariff-cut
CanadaMar 19, 2026

Chinese EV maker BYD eyes Canadian dealership rollout after tariff cut

Chinese electric vehicle manufacturer BYD has begun discussions to establish a dealership network in Canada following a federal decision to reduce tariffs on Chinese-made EVs to 6.1 per cent, according to media reports. The company is planning to open as many as 20 dealerships within a year, starting in the Greater Toronto Area. Expansion could follow in Vancouver, Montreal and Calgary as part of a broader national rollout strategy. Reports indicate BYD may introduce several of its popular models in Canada, including the Seal, Dolphin and Seagull, though no official launch timeline has been co
canadas-population-declines-in-late-2025-amid-slowdown-in-non-permanent-residents-statcan
CanadaMar 18, 2026

Canada’s population declines in late 2025 amid slowdown in non-permanent residents: StatCan

Canada’s population declined in the final months of 2025, driven largely by a drop in non-permanent residents, according to new estimates from Statistics Canada. The agency reports the country’s population fell by approximately 102,000 people over the year. The decline coincides with a decrease of more than 171,000 non-permanent residents between Oct. 1, 2025 and Jan. 1, 2026, including international students and temporary workers. Statistics Canada cautioned that the figures should be interpreted carefully, noting that fluctuations in work and study permit renewals could result in larger-
montreal-building-owner-charged-in-2023-old-montreal-fire-that-killed-seven
CanadaMar 18, 2026

Montreal building owner charged in 2023 Old Montreal fire that killed seven

Montreal police say they have arrested a 63-year-old building owner in connection with a 2023 fire in Old Montreal that killed seven people. Police allege Emile Benamor faces 15 charges, including seven counts of manslaughter and eight counts of criminal negligence related to the March 16, 2023 blaze at a heritage property on Place D’Youville. The allegations have not been tested in court. According to a Montreal police service news conference, investigators had previously identified traces of an accelerant at the scene, prompting a criminal investigation into the fire. Chief-Insp. David Sha
ontario-urges-b-c-quebec-to-drop-ev-sales-targets-citing-competitiveness-concerns
CanadaMar 18, 2026

Ontario urges B.C., Quebec to drop EV sales targets, citing competitiveness concerns

Ontario Premier Doug Ford is calling on the governments of British Columbia and Quebec to eliminate their electric-vehicle sales targets, arguing the policies are undermining Canada’s economic competitiveness. According to letters sent Wednesday to the two premiers, Ford said Ontario’s auto sector employs nearly 100,000 people and remains a key economic driver. He warned that differing provincial mandates on zero-emission vehicles risk creating what he described as a “fragmented and uncompetitive” national environment. Ford’s request follows recent changes in both provinces. Quebec h
bank-of-canada-holds-key-interest-rate-at-2-25-amid-global-uncertainty
CanadaMar 18, 2026

Bank of Canada holds key interest rate at 2.25% amid global uncertainty

The Bank of Canada has held its benchmark interest rate at 2.25 per cent following its latest policy meeting, marking the third consecutive decision to leave rates unchanged. According to the central bank’s statement, Governor Tiff Macklem cited ongoing global economic uncertainty as a key factor behind the decision. He pointed to instability linked to conflict in the Middle East and its impact on global energy markets, including rising oil and natural gas prices. The bank also warned that disruptions in key shipping routes, including the Strait of Hormuz, could affect supply chains for food
ihit-takes-over-surrey-homicide-investigation-after-fatal-laurel-drive-shooting
CanadaMar 16, 2026

IHIT takes over Surrey homicide investigation after fatal Laurel Drive shooting

The Integrated Homicide Investigation Team has taken over a homicide investigation following a fatal shooting early Saturday at a residence in Surrey. According to an IHIT news release, officers with the Surrey Police Service responded at about 1:40 a.m. to reports of shots fired inside a home in the 13900 block of Laurel Drive. When officers arrived, they found a man suffering from gunshot wounds. Police said officers immediately provided first aid until paramedics with BC Emergency Health Services arrived. The man was later pronounced dead at the scene. A man was arrested at the residence an
ottawa-commits-200m-toward-canadian-satellite-launch-pad-in-nova-scotia
CanadaMar 16, 2026

Ottawa commits $200M toward Canadian satellite launch pad in Nova Scotia

The federal government says it will invest $200 million over the next decade to secure access to a Canadian-owned satellite launch pad in Nova Scotia, part of a broader effort to build domestic space and defence capabilities. Defence Minister David McGuinty announced the initiative Monday at a laboratory operated by the Canadian Space Agency in Ottawa. The funding will be used to lease a launch pad near Canso that Ottawa says will form the foundation for a future Canadian spaceport. Canada currently relies on other countries, primarily the United States, to send satellites into orbit because i

Just In

b-c-conservative-leader-attacks-eby-government-over-forestry-decline
BCAug 18, 2026

B.C. Conservative Leader Attacks Eby Government Over Forestry Decline

B.C. Conservative Party Leader John Rustad has accused Premier David Eby of blaming U.S. President Donald Trump’s tariffs for the province’s forestry-sector decline in an attempt to hide his government’s own failures. In a statement Tuesday, Rustad said U.S. tariffs are harmful and should be strongly opposed. However, he said forestry production in B.C.’s Interior began declining as early as 2016, long before Trump returned to office, and has now fallen by about 50 per cent. According to Rustad, poor provincial policies, permit processes that can take two to three years, and uncertaint
trumps-presidency-delays-quebec-sovereignty-referendum-says-parti-québécois
CanadaAug 18, 2026

Trump’s Presidency Delays Quebec Sovereignty Referendum, Says Parti Québécois

Parti Québécois leader Paul St-Pierre Plamondon says his party would not hold a referendum on Quebec sovereignty while Donald Trump remains president of the United States. St-Pierre Plamondon says the party still intends to hold a referendum on whether Quebec should separate from Canada during its first mandate if elected. However, he says such a crucial decision about Quebec’s future requires a clear and calm debate. He says the referendum debate should not be disrupted by American politics or unexpected announcements from the U.S. president. According to St-Pierre Plamondon, the unpredic
AlbertaAug 18, 2026

Sentencing Arguments Begin for Man Convicted of Sexually Assaulting Three Women

Sentencing arguments begin today for 62-year-old Richard Mantha, who was convicted of sexually assaulting three vulnerable women and drugging one of them. Mantha was found guilty of six offences following a trial that lasted more than two years. The full day has been set aside for the Crown and defence to present their arguments on what sentence he should receive. He was convicted of two counts of sexual assault, as well as choking while committing a sexual assault and administering a noxious substance. Mantha was also found guilty of assault with a weapon and uttering threats against a fourth
BCAug 18, 2026

Goldstream Falls swimming incident: 27-year-old man dies

A 27-year-old man has died after getting into distress while swimming near Goldstream Falls in Goldstream Provincial Park on Monday evening. West Shore RCMP said officers responded to the incident at around 7:35 p.m. on August 17. The man reportedly went underwater while swimming near the waterfall and did not resurface. Bystanders pulled him from the water and immediately began life-saving measures. Police, BC Emergency Health Services and Langford Fire Department later arrived and continued the emergency response. The man was taken to hospital for further treatment but later succumbed to his
poilievre-attacks-carney-government-over-ev-mandate
BCAug 18, 2026

Poilievre Attacks Carney Government Over EV Mandate

Canada’s main opposition leader, Pierre Poilievre, has launched a strong attack on Prime Minister Mark Carney’s government over its electric vehicle policy. Poilievre alleges that while the government is moving to scrap the existing EV sales mandate, it is planning to bring back a similar requirement through the “back door” using tougher emissions standards. According to a notice published in the Canada Gazette, the government has recently started the process of repealing the previous EV Sales Mandate, which required 20 per cent of new vehicles sold in 2026 to be electric. Reacting to