18.48°C Vancouver

News

bill-to-ban-conversion-therapy-clears-house-of-commons
CanadaDec 01, 2021

Bill to ban conversion therapy clears House of Commons

A government bill seeking to ban conversion therapy has cleared the House of Commons and is on its way to the Senate. Bill C-4 was fast-tracked through the legislative stages in the House of Commons with the unanimous consent of all MPs after Conservative Rob Moore introduced a motion to do so. Erin O'Toole had been set to once again allow his caucus to have a free vote on the bill, but also pledged that his MPs would work to get it passed quickly. The so-called therapy is widely discredited as a harmful practice, aimed at trying to change an individual's sexual orientation or gender identity
canada-expanding-the-covid-19-travel-ban-to-three-more-nations-and-stepping-up-testing-for-air-travellers-who-fly-into-canada
CanadaDec 01, 2021

Canada expanding the COVID-19 travel ban to three more nations and stepping up testing for air travellers who fly into Canada

Health Minister Jean-Yves Duclos is expanding the COVID-19 travel ban and ordering new border testing rules as Canada tries to keep the new Omicron variant from spreading. Duclos is adding Malawi, Egypt and Nigeria to the banned travellers country list, and stepping up testing for air travellers who fly into Canada from anywhere but the United States. At least six cases of the new variant are now confirmed in Canada, so far all in people who had recently travelled from Nigeria. Duclos says we still don't know very much about the threat this new variant poses. The federal government is bannin
canada-may-need-to-do-more-at-the-border-to-protect-against-the-omicron-variant-of-covid-19-pm-trudeau
CanadaNov 30, 2021

Canada may need to do more at the border to protect against the Omicron variant of COVID-19: PM Trudeau

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says Canada may need to do more at the border to protect against the Omicron variant of COVID-19 coming to Canada. The government has already banned foreign nationals who have recently travelled to several southern African countries. Public Safety Minister Marco Mendicino told reporters public health advice will guide their actions.The World Health Organization warned against the potentially dangerous impact of the Omicron variant again today, though there are still many questions about its transmissibility and the severity of illness it causes.
unvaccinated-travellers-barred-from-planes-and-trains-as-of-today
CanadaNov 30, 2021

Unvaccinated travellers barred from planes and trains as of today

Unvaccinated travellers over the age of 12 won't be able to board a plane or train in Canada beginning today, and a negative COVID-19 test will no longer serve as a substitute for most people. The policy came into effect on Oct. 30, but the federal government allowed a short transition period for unvaccinated travellers who could board as long as they provided a negative molecular COVID-19 test taken within 72 hours before their trip. The stringent new requirement comes into effect as Canada reacts to the emergence of the new, highly mutated Omicron variant of COVID-19.
ontario-reports-two-more-cases-on-omicron-variant-of-covid-19-taking-canadas-total-cases-to-5
CanadaNov 30, 2021

Ontario reports two more cases on Omicron variant of COVID-19 taking Canada's total cases to 5

Ontario has reported two more cases of the Omicron variant of COVID-19 virus. Ontario had earlier reported Canada's first two cases of the Omicron variant of concern on the weekend. The total number of cases detected in Ontario has now reached 4. The province said today the two infected people were recently in Nigeria and were tested for the virus in Montreal before travelling on to Ottawa. Quebec health officials have also confirmed a case of the Omicron variant of COVID-19. Health Minister Christian Dubé made the announcement today at a news conference. Dubé says 115 people who recently tr
third-case-of-omicron-variant-of-covid-19-confirmed-in-canada
CanadaNov 29, 2021

Third case of Omicron variant of COVID-19 confirmed in Canada

Quebec health officials have confirmed a case of the Omicron variant of COVID-19. Health Minister Christian Dubé made the announcement today at a news conference. Dubé says 115 people who recently travelled to the province, principally from countries in southern Africa, have been asked to take a PCR test and to isolate. Ontario reported Canada's first two cases of the Omicron variant of concern on the weekend. The province said today the two infected people were recently in Nigeria and were tested for the virus in Montreal before travelling on to Ottawa.
variant-prompts-canada-to-bring-in-ban-on-travellers-from-southern-africa
CanadaNov 26, 2021

Variant prompts Canada to bring in ban on travellers from southern Africa

Canada has banned visitors from southern Africa after the discovery of a new variant of concern in the region. The new variant, deemed Omicron, first emerged in South Africa and coincided with a steep rise in the number of COVID-19 cases in that region in recent weeks, according to the World Health Organization. The ban will apply to foreign nationals who transited through a list of seven countries in the last 14 days, including South Africa, Mozambique, Botswana, Zimbabwe, Lesotho, Namibia and eSwatini. Those already in Canada who recently travelled through the region will need to quarantine
new-bill-proposed-that-would-provide-10-days-of-paid-sick-leave-to-federally-regulated-workers
CanadaNov 26, 2021

New bill proposed that would provide 10 days of paid sick leave to federally regulated workers

The federal government is proposing a new bill that would make it illegal to intimidate health workers to the point it impedes them from doing their job. The federal Liberals have introduced a bill that would provide 10 days of paid sick leave to federally regulated workers and create two new Criminal Code offences for anyone threatening health-care workers. Labour Minister Seamus O'Regan says the sick leave plugs a hole in the social safety net that was exposed by the pandemic. The Liberals want to see the bill pass in Parliament before M-Ps go on their holiday break in the middle of December
general-wayne-eyre-officially-appointed-canadas-chief-of-the-defence-staff
CanadaNov 25, 2021

General Wayne Eyre officially appointed Canada's chief of the defence staff

General Wayne Eyre has been officially appointed Canada's next chief of the defence staff. He had been filling in for Admiral Art McDonald, who stepped down in August because of an investigation into alleged sexual misconduct. No charges were laid by police and McDonald wanted to be reinstated as CDS. Today, Defence Minister Anita Anand announced the permanent promotion for Eyre. McDonald has been put on leave for now.

Just In

AlbertaMay 20, 2026

Nenshi questions UCP committee meeting on Alberta petition process amid separatism debate

Alberta NDP Leader Naheed Nenshi says he is concerned Premier Danielle Smith’s government could alter or reinterpret a citizen petition process tied to Alberta’s place in Canada. Nenshi made the comments after the United Conservative government scheduled a committee meeting for Thursday to discuss a petition calling for Alberta to remain in Canada. The bipartisan committee is reviewing the petition under provincial rules governing citizen initiatives. According to Nenshi, the timing of the meeting has raised questions after a separate petition backed by Alberta separatists was reportedly l
b-c-premier-eby-to-raise-carbon-pricing-concerns-in-meeting-with-prime-minister-carney
BCMay 20, 2026

B.C. Premier Eby to raise carbon pricing concerns in meeting with Prime Minister Carney

B.C. Premier David Eby is set to meet Prime Minister Mark Carney on Wednesday, where he is expected to raise concerns over a proposed federal carbon pricing exemption for Alberta. The meeting follows comments made by Eby on Tuesday criticizing what he described as preferential treatment toward Alberta amid ongoing national policy discussions. Eby said the federal government should not focus its attention on premiers raising concerns about national unity while overlooking broader provincial consultation. The dispute comes after Prime Minister Carney and Alberta Premier Danielle Smith announced
pbo-says-canadian-governments-to-spend-1-billion-to-host-world-cup
CanadaMay 20, 2026

PBO says Canadian governments to spend $1 billion to host World Cup

The federal budget watchdog says Canada will spend just over $1 billion to host the World Cup this summer. That includes money from all levels of government, with the federal government contributing $473 million. The total averages to $82 million per game for the 13 games that will be played in Toronto and Vancouver. The parliamentary budget officer says that’s about in line with what previous host countries spent. In April, the federal government said it was allocating up to $145 million for security at the World Cup in addition to previously announced funding, with the money going toward r
IndiaMay 20, 2026

Heatwave to Persist Across Most Parts of Punjab and Haryana Until May 25, 2026

The intense heatwave conditions in Punjab continue to worsen with scorching temperatures and hot winds forcing people to remain indoors. Roads are appearing deserted during afternoon hours, with curfew-like conditions being witnessed in several areas. Amid the rising temperatures, the Meteorological Department in Chandigarh has issued a special weather bulletin warning of severe heatwave conditions across Punjab, Haryana and Chandigarh for the next seven days. According to the weather department, heatwave conditions are expected to prevail across most parts of Punjab and Haryana from May 19 t
carignan-nominated-for-a-senior-advisory-role-in-nato
CanadaMay 20, 2026

Carignan nominated for a senior advisory role in NATO

The Liberal government in Ottawa is nominating the head of Canada's military, Gen. Jennie Carignan, as a candidate for a top role in NATO. Defence Minister David McGuinty announced her candidacy for chair of the NATO Military Committee — the main military adviser for NATO's Secretary General, Mark Rutte. An election is set for September to find a successor for the outgoing chair, Italy's Admiral Giuseppe Cavo Dragone, whose term ends next summer. As for Rutte, his four-year term ends in 2028, but could be renewed for another term. Carignan has served as chief of the defence staff since summe